Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) people think things sound better when lows/low mids are added
Because lows are life ! 🤣
To me there is nothing more enjoyable to do a palm mute on your lower strings in front of a speaker and feel everything shaking, goes directly to your belly . That’s metal ! 🤣. I like many things and genre etc, but yeah, playing with a big tone, that’s life to me .
When you remove half of the spectrum, yes that’s good for recording, but it is easier to remove something that exist then to try to « ad more ». In this case I talk about playing in isolation, for fun so. I play way more than I record (with luck)

I don't understand some people claiming that the Dyna-cabs lack low end. I'm getting more low end than I would ever need, and that's just with the SM57. I'm using an SM57 on the 1960TV and the Rumble EV12L together and it sounds fantastic. I even run a PEQ at the end of the chain to remove a little low end.
Don’t know, share a sample. As ever, we all have our musical preference/influence, a guy that like korn type guitar sound don’t have the same « heavy » term in his mind than a 70’s prog rock fan

No. The thing is that whatever you do with the dynacab, you will never have this amount of “beef” in the low/low mid frequencies .
The first thing I noticed with the dyna-cabs was that there was something off in the mids. They definitely are lacking in the mids and low mids. They have a nice clear sound and sound good, but they are lacking midrange.

I will be trying to compensate for this by either turning on the preamp in the cab block and boosting the mids, or adding mids with the eq in the amp block, or adding a parametric eq block and trying to dial in what is missing. I'm thinking one of those should work fine to dial in what is missing in the midrange. If you try this and get good results, let me know which works best for you and which frequencies you boosted.

The first thing I noticed with the dyna-cabs was that there was something off in the mids. They definitely are lacking in the mids and low mids. They have a nice clear sound and sound good, but they are lacking midrange.

I will be trying to compensate for this by either turning on the preamp in the cab block and boosting the mids, or adding mids with the eq in the amp block, or adding a parametric eq block and trying to dial in what is missing. I'm thinking one of those should work fine to dial in what is missing in the midrange. If you try this and get good results, let me know which works best for you and which frequencies you boosted.
Or wait till Cliff provides some feedback? It could be a bug and you will have to undo everything. After the whole Recto or Mesa thing, I am sure that they will take a good look at @My name is mud ‘s feedback.

What is the distance set for the mics?

A screenshot of Mud's preset with a sine wav from 20 to 20 000.
Red is legacy , white is dyna.
View attachment 119321
This looks like about what I was expecting, based on what I've been hearing and what other people are saying. While, of course, there's accounting for differences stemming from aspects other than just the shift from IR to dynacab, it does seem like there's a bit more high end and slightly less midrange, which is combining to make it seem like there's notably less midrange.

This looks like about what I was expecting, based on what I've been hearing and what other people are saying. While, of course, there's accounting for differences stemming from aspects other than just the shift from IR to dynacab, it does seem like there's a bit more high end and slightly less midrange, which is combining to make it seem like there's notably less midrange.

I tend to agree. I think there were signifigant gains in low and high range not loss in midrange. Still, the end result is similar.

I tend to agree. I think there were signifigant gains in low and high range not loss in midrange. Still, the end result is similar.
That would be what I like about them. They sound much more like what I get when I mic up a tube amp and record the old fashioned way. I am really enjoying this new method and look forward to seeing where this whole thing ends up. The highs definitely have more clarity and sound more natural to me now.

@My name is mud, maybe a simple tilt EQ filter would get them closer as there seems to be a relative 4~8 dB difference between 100-500 Hz and 4-6 kHz.

FWIW…

I was trying to bone up on my mixing skills and listening to someone talk about psychoacoustics.

First, the most obvious point, was that most people… Like nearly all folks judge audio as “better“ if two things happen:

1) volume matters, loud is mo’ betta - but nearly as important is 2) people think things sound better when lows/low mids are added.

Dunno. Someone previously made the point about playing in isolation versus a mix.

Right now I’m focused on mixes, so I’m trying to get superfluous frequencies removed.
Yes.

The brain. Can't live with it, can't live without it. :)

Yes , but be carefull with these diagram , all the audio informations can't be on it.
For me it's just a little help, the playing sensation is my number one.
And the dynacab is incredible ! He give more nuances on my distortion and this is not a story of bass mid treble. ;-)

Oops, I don't even look or play the Mud's preset , just put a synth block for the sweep. ;-)
Well, you would have to turn it off in your global settings. Probably not all the important as to helping pinpoint, but I was just asking because cab modeling can tend to bump and smooth the low range a bit.

this is just an example with zero high and low cut (normally I cut the OH one) , everything at noon in the amp, guitar is a sample with the looper ... 3 different mics at the same time with 3 dyna irs (!!!) against 2 OH irs with 57/421

preset in attached link , if you want to try at home, just change channel A and B from the cab block . this is the first version of dynacab with the sm57 . The bass and mid zones change a lot between them

I tried the preset. I agree they sound different. What I hear is more high mids and highs on the dyna cabs with a more stable low end. The factory IR's sound like they have a lot more low mid 250hzish in there. I think the high mids and highs give the illusion of less mids because the balance has shifted farther up the freq spectrum. I love the new dynacabs myself but each to their own. Can't wait to see what the full release brings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom