Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a stretch to conclude Dynacabs generally have less mids. I say this because:
  • The IC curve values (which have a big impact) change as soon as a Dynacab is selected - in your test, are you setting IC values to be equal across A and B to take IC differences out of the comparison?
  • Do we know yet what the Dynacab Ribbon or Condensor mic is? (I don't remember that being revealed) If not, A and B might not even be comparing the same microphone.
  • Afaik, the actual speaker loaded is not yet known in most of the Dynacabs (including Rectos), or the Legacy IRs referenced in that preset - so you may be A/B testing a completely different speaker.
  • The mic position calibration is likely different between Dynacab and any given Legacy IR.
  • The mic pre used is likely different between the 2.
  • As mentioned above, 3rd party IRs could have additional EQ baked into them which could make an impact.
With all these possible differences, I have a hard time with the general conclusion that: "Dynacabs lack mids" (+ I'm not hearing that difference myself, as I convert my own presets to Dynacab).
… this is an example of what you had before dynacab and why some people said that they lack something . If you don’t hear a difference between both samples, even if they are different 🤷 that’s not the point : you can try whatever you want with the dynacab you won’t have a tone like that. Even with one single IR from OH with a 57 only. Just mute the second IR in the preset I have uploaded and you ll see . I just asked myself “why”, nothing more .

But I’m 95% sure that “produce” their ir and add EQ etc. At the same time, the dynacab are done in a famous studio, and I don’t think that they plug a sm57 in a cheap soundcard without a preamp neither

Breaking news, two IR mixes with IRs from different vendors sound different....

cpt obvious GIF by neomagazinroyale

I know the speaker impedance curve is linked to Dyna curve but is the speaker impedance control on the power amp page linked to Dyna cabs?

this is just an example with zero high and low cut (normally I cut the OH one) , everything at noon in the amp, guitar is a sample with the looper ... 3 different mics at the same time with 3 dyna irs (!!!) against 2 OH irs with 57/421

preset in attached link , if you want to try at home, just change channel A and B from the cab block . this is the first version of dynacab with the sm57 . The bass and mid zones change a lot between them

I am hearing that signature low mids of the OH Irs
To me they are always fatter than the Yorks
Also not sure it matters but the Dyna cabs don’t have a 421 to be able to compare that combination.

I am hearing that signature low mids of the OH Irs
To me they are always fatter than the Yorks
Also not sure it matters but the Dyna cabs don’t have a 421 to be able to compare that combination.
Thank you. I’m glad that every 5 posts, there is someone that understand what I mean. (we'll settle for that). As I’m not English/American that’s not always easy to share my “findings” and to really express what I feel.

I absolutely hear the difference, but it just goes to show - I prefer the dynacab.

To me, so many IRs have a hyped lower-mid range - yes it's satisfying and all that, but also somehow artificial (to my ear) and overly hyped

Different strokes etc.

In five minutes I got it pretty close with the ribbon (close to the speaker) and the dynamic. It's not identical - but I think it's very close, and I still honestly prefer the clarity of the Dynacab

Attachments

• dyna vs OH test resp.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Oh, and I just noticed in the preset you posted - you had room (in the cab block) set for the IRs but no room for the Dynacab. So absolutely not apples to apples comparison.

Here's what I just uploaded with the room settings the same - gets it closer still I think

Attachments

• dyna vs OH test resp2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Thank you. I’m glad that every 5 posts, there is someone that understand what I mean. (we'll settle for that). As I’m not English/American that’s not always easy to share my “findings” and to really express what I feel.
I know you love playing your amps, does the OH IR sound more amp in the room to you?

And final go - by adding a little bit of mis-alignment to the Dynacabs, also closer (but still different).

To me, the OH sound flat in comparison

I'll shut up now

Attachments

• dyna vs OH test resp3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
A lot depends on the speaker as well. IMO, (at least when it comes to recto cabs) the era of speaker makes a lot of difference and even then, no speaker will sound exactly the same as the other, even from the same batch, even in the same cab. And the same tolerance factor is true for microphones as well. I don’t think we can compare IRs and Dyna-cabs unless we are talking same speaker, same mic, same cab, same signal chain, etc.

Having said this, I am yet to find a dyna-cab combo that beats my go-to IRs. But I think this is natural since I’ve spent at least 5-6 years crafting the IRs I like and the dyna-cabs by comparison have only had a few hours of playing/tweaking time by comparison. Also, well, the IRs I use are very specific (some I made on my own, some of “special” speakers and cabs, etc.) so I doubt I can replicate/replace them easily. But yeah, I am sceptically leaning towards the IR-over-Dyna-cabs fence as of now.

… this is an example of what you had before dynacab and why some people said that they lack something . If you don’t hear a difference between both samples, even if they are different 🤷 that’s not the point : you can try whatever you want with the dynacab you won’t have a tone like that. Even with one single IR from OH with a 57 only. Just mute the second IR in the preset I have uploaded and you ll see . I just asked myself “why”, nothing more .
all good, I was only responding to the statement that "Dynacabs lack mids" generally compared to other IRs and the suggestion that the test presented shows that. imo, to prove that point, one would need to do case by case apples to apples tests with: same mic, same speaker, same cab, same IC, same placement, same mic pre, no added eq or fx...

Last edited:
I know you love playing your amps, does the OH IR sound more amp in the room to you?
Yes. I like when the tone has weight, as I play with boogie’s stack since 25 years, I used to have sounds with the bottom, you do a chord, it is heavy and full. But yes it is true that when you record, these type of sound aren’t good, that’s why I cut them for my presets etc. But when I play alone, I like to have something heavy . With the dyna you don’t have to do any low cut 🤷.

But @AlGrenadine said that the fact that they are not « ultra res » can explain a lack of bass frequencies

Last edited:
Finger crossed for the bass cabs 🫣, these are the one I am waiting the most .
As the 3 mics are not really the one usually used to mic bass cabs, we will have the surprise !

FWIW…

I was trying to bone up on my mixing skills and listening to someone talk about psychoacoustics.

First, the most obvious point, was that most people… Like nearly all folks judge audio as “better“ if two things happen:

1) volume matters, loud is mo’ betta - but nearly as important is 2) people think things sound better when lows/low mids are added.

Dunno. Someone previously made the point about playing in isolation versus a mix.

Right now I’m focused on mixes, so I’m trying to get superfluous frequencies removed.

FWIW…

I was trying to bone up on my mixing skills and listening to someone talk about psychoacoustics.

First, the most obvious point, was that most people… Like nearly all folks judge audio as “better“ if two things happen:

1) volume matters, loud is mo’ betta - but nearly as important is 2) people think things sound better when lows/low mids are added.

Dunno. Someone previously made the point about playing in isolation versus a mix.

Right now I’m focused on mixes, so I’m trying to get superfluous frequencies removed.
Yep. Low mids will help the mix overall, but not all parts of the mix can occupy that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom