Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show the people a frequency graph of both? But there are other vendors for those cabs as well.
dont know how to do that. Oh but the problems are not these IR's, I love them . I just stick with them because of this lack of mids in the dynacabs. Maybe I can do a audio sample .

this is just an example with zero high and low cut (normally I cut the OH one) , everything at noon in the amp, guitar is a sample with the looper ... 3 different mics at the same time with 3 dyna irs (!!!) against 2 OH irs with 57/421

preset in attached link , if you want to try at home, just change channel A and B from the cab block . this is the first version of dynacab with the sm57 . The bass and mid zones change a lot between them

Attachments

• dyna vs OH test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
this is just an example with zero high and low cut (normally I cut the OH one) , everything at noon in the amp, guitar is a sample with the looper ... 3 different mics at the same time with 3 dyna irs (!!!) against 2 OH irs with 57/421

preset in attached link , if you want to try at home, just change channel A and B from the cab block . this is the first version of dynacab with the sm57 . The bass and mid zones change a lot between them

The difference is maybe because IR‘s are already mixed with EQ, filter etc. and Dyna Cab are completely plain without any processing.
Doesn’t matter if you are a live or studio guitarist, when you are recording, gigging etc. with a cab, your sound will always gonna be mixed to the FOH etc.
I can’t remember a situation where a sound guy only places a microphone on the cab and send the signal straight to the audience.
So maybe that’s what’s missing?
The OH IR sounds a lot like it’s been mixed and or filtered.

The difference is maybe because IR‘s are already mixed with EQ, filter etc. and Dyna Cab are completely plain without any processing.
Doesn’t matter if you are a live or studio guitarist, when you are recording, gigging etc. with a cab, your sound will always gonna be mixed to the FOH etc.
I can’t remember a situation where a sound guy only places a microphone on the cab and send the signal straight to the audience.
yes there is something . That’s not the first time that I heard that some IR are « cooked » and thats why they « sound better » . But it is the result that matters isn’t it?

To me there is the same difference than playing with single coils vs humbuckers here, or having a vintage uk cab against a us Mesa. But the thing is that they are both a Mesa 🐣

Last edited:
But in a mix it is true that sample 1 will let more space for the rest. I’m just trying to tweak the dyna to have something fuller when i play alone with it. Maybe with the others cabs ! We will see with the final version

But in a mix it is true that sample 1 will let more space for the rest. I’m just trying to tweak the dyna to have something fuller when i play alone with it. Maybe with the others cabs ! We will see with the final version
I don't necessarily expect my experience to transfer well to others, but I personally find adding in the Rumble 12L cab or even the Bassman 2x12 can fill in the mids a bit. All very much "to my ear" as I don't want to be involved in any discussion whether any IR is actually "lacking mids."

Also because they're ultrares

We dont have a Dyna 421 do we? The 421 is where you are getting the fuller sound from compared to what I assume is a 57 Dyna.

Try this: dynamic at 2 (cap edge ish) and a ribbon at cap -6 db. This rounds out/adds back some low end.

I've been holding off trying the beta out of fear, and love for my current sound. I'm always happy when I plug in lately and sometimes these pivotal updates don't jive with me for a bit. The clips speak for themselves though. WOW

I've been holding off trying the beta out of fear, and love for my current sound. I'm always happy when I plug in lately and sometimes these pivotal updates don't jive with me for a bit. The clips speak for themselves though. WOW
Just back up with fractal bot and you can always roll back your FW. I've taken the plunge to FW 22 and there's always an adjustment period, either changing gain, eq, cabinets, etc. I am fond of brighter more detailed tones, the Dyna cabs give you that, but I find there's some girth missing from my presets now. Time to tweak again !!!!

I've had the new FW loaded since beta 1 but still used preexisting presets without needing to make any adjustments to them, they sounded the same. There have also not been any issues I've seen with this beta, seems to be very stable.

Be warned though, if you try the Dyna Cabs you'll probably not want to go back. ;)

because of this lack of mids in the dynacabs.
preset in attached link
Seems like a stretch to conclude Dynacabs generally have less mids. I say this because:
  • The IC curve values (which have a big impact) change as soon as a Dynacab is selected - in your test, are you setting IC values to be equal across A and B to take IC differences out of the comparison?
  • Do we know yet what the Dynacab Ribbon or Condensor mic is? (I don't remember that being revealed) If not, A and B might not even be comparing the same microphone.
  • Afaik, the actual speaker loaded is not yet known in most of the Dynacabs (including Rectos), or the Legacy IRs referenced in that preset - so you may be A/B testing a completely different speaker.
  • The mic position calibration is likely different between Dynacab and any given Legacy IR.
  • The mic pre used is likely different between the 2.
  • As mentioned above, 3rd party IRs could have additional EQ baked into them which could make an impact.
With all these possible differences, I have a hard time with the general conclusion that: "Dynacabs lack mids" (+ I'm not hearing that difference myself, as I convert my own presets to Dynacab).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom