Axe-FX III + FC-12 Pedal Calibration Issue. Please help.

tveiro

Hi,

I'm using Axe-FX III with FC-12 and EV-1 pedal. I'm trying to use my EV-1 pedal as a global volume pedal.
When I try to calibrate the pedal, the slider doesn't even move to the halfway point when it's at 100% volume.
So when I step on the pedal to increase the volume, the guitar is still silent when I moved the pedal halfway.
So it is really hard to control the volume precisely.
I tried Pedal 2 port from FC-12 and it's about the same. It doesn't matter whether I use a regular instrument cable or TRS cable.
I tried resetting system parameters from Axe-FX III already. Is there a way to resolve this issue? Or is this a hardware/software defect?
I actually re-purchased Axe-FX III+FC-12+EV-1 after returning it a few months ago and back then I didn't have this issue.

unnamed.jpg

Hi,

I'm using Axe-FX III with FC-12 and EV-1 pedal. I'm trying to use my EV-1 pedal as a global volume pedal.
When I try to calibrate the pedal, the slider doesn't even move to the halfway point when it's at 100% volume.
So when I step on the pedal to increase the volume, the guitar is still silent when I moved the pedal halfway.
So it is really hard to control the volume precisely.
I tried Pedal 2 port from FC-12 and it's about the same. It doesn't matter whether I use a regular instrument cable or TRS cable.
I tried resetting system parameters from Axe-FX III already. Is there a way to resolve this issue? Or is this a hardware/software defect?
I actually re-purchased Axe-FX III+FC-12+EV-1 after returning it a few months ago and back then I didn't have this issue.

View attachment 98775
Is the cable a TRS cable?

I found out how to use it as an analog volume pedal. Axe-FX III instrument port -> instrument cable -> EV-1 -> Guitar. So can I not use the pedal jack on FC-12 to connect the EV-1 to use it as my main volume pedal?

It sounds like you have tried both ports on the FC, so maybe try the expression pedal port(s) on the AF3, to see if you have different results. Don’t forget to calibrate via the non-FC area of setup.

I have my expression pedals plugged directly into my FC, or one of my FCs, and placing a volume block on the grid. I place it before the amp, if I want to adjust the amount of signal that hits the amp, or place it post amp, if I just want to control output volume, but have no reduction in signal going to the amp.

Would you mind describing why you are wanting to utilize the EV-1 in the analog realm (unless I misunderstood or misread what you wrote earlier)?

Cheers,
Lee

I found out how to use it as an analog volume pedal. Axe-FX III instrument port -> instrument cable -> EV-1 -> Guitar. So can I not use the pedal jack on FC-12 to connect the EV-1 to use it as my main volume pedal?

The FC12 has no audio circuitry, so, no, you can't use the EV1 as an analog volume pedal and plug into the FC12 to get the audio from your guitar into the Axe FX.

Much better to use it as an expression pedal in the digital realm than as an volume pedal in the analog realm, anyway. First, it has a linear taper pot, which, in analog, will fade in very quickly, and give a very non-linear action, as our ears hear volume change logarithmically. Second, the extra connections give noise more opportunity to sneak in. Third, you could use it for other things along with or instead of just controlling volume....

Ok, I'll give it a try. But I was trying to use it as an analog volume pedal and I thought I could use it as a volume by connecting EV-1 to FC-12.
Ok. Your post was confusing because calibration refers to expression pedals and a "global volume pedal" is typically meaning inside the Axe Fx.

@Joe Bfstplk has already provided a good answer.

Calibrate it through the FC-12 once calibrated you have to assign the EV-1 to what you want it to be.

The FC12 has no audio circuitry, so, no, you can't use the EV1 as an analog volume pedal and plug into the FC12 to get the audio from your guitar into the Axe FX.

Much better to use it as an expression pedal in the digital realm than as an volume pedal in the analog realm, anyway. First, it has a linear taper pot, which, in analog, will fade in very quickly, and give a very non-linear action, as our ears hear volume change logarithmically. Second, the extra connections give noise more opportunity to sneak in. Third, you could use it for other things along with or instead of just controlling volume....
^^ This

So are you saying that I can still use the EV-1 as a volume pedal by plugging it into the expression port on EV-1? If so, how can that be done? Create a volume pedal block in Axe-FX Edit?

Yes. In each of your presets, put a Vol/Pan block on the grid in your signal path and assign a modifier to the Volume parameter of the block with that expression pedal port set as the source.

If you don't want to modify each preset, you can also globally assign the pedal to Input 1 Volume or Output 1 Volume in the MIDI/Remote menu > Other page.

Use a TRS cable between the Expression output of the pedal into one of the Pedal Inputs on the FC-12 and calibrate it in the FC Controllers menu > Remote Page.

Back
Top Bottom