Wish AXE FX III Core - 1U Rack Version

Yes great idea. I think the Axe fx III is way too big. That’s one of the reasons I don’t buy it. 2U is more than enough for me. 1U could work too because I hardly do any editing on the front panel.

As a home hobby guitarist I use the AXE FX III w/o computer 70% of the time and love the screen, knobs, etc.
On stage I also would like to have it for a backup. But for holiday trips I like the idea with a very small housing, but I would still prefer a FM3 housing, with half of the price ;)

Something like this is what I'd love to see at least for the next gen.

Computer and tablet editors could easily replace the front panel. Far better support for MIDI controllers could solve any lack of physical knobs. This would allow the Axe-Fx to be more of a "brain" unit that is not a big 3U box. Could go 1U with nothing more than a small preset/scene display and output volume controls on the front.
I got the AxeFXIII for a week now and I can confirm that I never use the front panel other than for setting up devices and hardware connection setups.

Something like this is what I'd love to see at least for the next gen.

Computer and tablet editors could easily replace the front panel. Far better support for MIDI controllers could solve any lack of physical knobs. This would allow the Axe-Fx to be more of a "brain" unit that is not a big 3U box. Could go 1U with nothing more than a small preset/scene display and output volume controls on the front.
You'd also be able to get away with much less memory too by offloading a lot of the storage to the computer (I'm thinking for presets, IRs etc.) which would save some cost.

Actually thinking about it, you could make an argument for less CPU power as well because most people apply effects in post. Maybe. Maybe not.

You'd also be able to get away with much less memory too by offloading a lot of the storage to the computer (I'm thinking for presets, IRs etc.) which would save some cost.

Actually thinking about it, you could make an argument for less CPU power as well because most people apply effects in post. Maybe. Maybe not.
I disagree with that. I've owned an XSonic Airstep MIDI controller which basically did it like that and it does not work.

Instead of loading its presets from the device itself, it just used the mobile devices and whatever cloud sync features to make it work. So if you use multiple devices that are not all Android or all iOS, you are in for trouble.

So for consistency and ease of use, the data source should be the device itself.

Last edited:
I disagree with that. I've owned an XSonic Airstep MIDI controller which basically did it like that and it does not work.

Instead of loading its presets from the device itself, it just used the current devices and whatever cloud sync features to make it work. So if you use multiple devices that are not all Android or all iOS, you are in for trouble.

So for consistency and ease of use, the data source should be the device itself.

Yeah I can see how offloading to something cloud based would be less than ideal, especially if you're relying on it in a live environment. But for a device with no on-device editing, that is permanently connected to a computer I personally wouldn't have a problem with the storage being on the computer. Especially if AxeEdit was integrated in such a way that pulling up presets/IRs/impedance curves was done within the application and didn't require searching through folders.

Fred Flintstone here.

Right out of the gate with my III, I wanted to be able to get around without a computer, so I did everything on the front panel. I still do 90% of my editing there. There are some things you can't do, like copy a whole block, but other than that it's fine.

I work on a computer all day, and I really appreciate not needing one to play guitar and tweak tones. (Yes the Axe is a computer, but still.)

That said, a 1U Axe would be great on a gig or at a jam where I'm not editing. Compact, and less of a Big Deal Piece Of Gear. Bring a tablet just in case. Leaving off the larger case, display, and front panel UI could probably reduce cost too, maybe.

I don't know about reducing the amount of memory on the device, but I think there's a better way to use the limited memory that's available.

The memory on the device is a terrible place to store your library of presets. It has limited capacity, has no file system to speak of for managing files, and offers only a primitive UI to navigate through the library. Especially for IRs where you must currently store every IR you'll ever use in the device, this is an extremely inefficient system.

The limited preset/IR memory on the device should only be used to store the presets/IRs that you need while you're away from the computer, i.e. for a gig or tour or session. In other words, your full library of presets, and especially IR's, should be stored as files on your computer and only a subset of that should be downloaded to the device as needed (and when you download a preset into the device, any needed IR's should automatically be downloaded).

You're free to put as many presets on the device as its capacity allows, but when you're using Axe-Edit, it should give you a full-featured browser (far beyond the current "manage presets") to allow you to navigate through a unlimited library of presets and IRs on your computer which can be organized into folders, tagged, annotated, etc....all of which is made infinitely easier when the files reside on a computer instead of in the device.

More details here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/

Yeah I can see how offloading to something cloud based would be less than ideal, especially if you're relying on it in a live environment. But for a device with no on-device editing, that is permanently connected to a computer I personally wouldn't have a problem with the storage being on the computer. Especially if AxeEdit was integrated in such a way that pulling up presets/IRs/impedance curves was done within the application and didn't require searching through folders.
It becomes an issue when you need to move somewhere else. Say "I forgot my tablet/laptop home, now I need to edit with my phone" scenario you quickly run into a problem if your phone is an Android but your tablet is an iPad. If the data is stored on the Axe-Fx instead, this is not an issue, it will just load it from there and your phone works just as well as your tablet/laptop, form factor aside.

Off-device (device being the modeler) storage is fine for things that you don't need to have right now, like say IRs you are not using, backups and such.

Content management is a totally separate issue. We don't know where and how exactly the Axe-Fx stores its presets, IRs etc but just manage it with the tools available in Axe-Edit and the onboard UI. To be fair, those tools are pretty crap...

I want a compact car without a steering wheel, brakes or an accelerator. It could be controlled by a tablet or phone. Surely users of other device manufacturers will think I'm awesome and praise me on TGP.

I’d like the same 3RU but with MOAR NOBS

Like an 8x8 matrix of little assignable knobs. Oh yes. It’s probably not going to happen.

My Axe III lives in a rack in my studio and I only use Axe Edit, never use the front panel. 1RU rack would be great for me.

The downside to a 1RU Axe is less I/O.

I would LOVE to see an Axe III core. Just like described by the OP, is perfect.
Make it bluetooth as well so you can connect your phone/ipad for quick tweaks at a gig.
Save money on creating a screen....use the app at all times. Simple simple simple.

(I have a X32 Core and S16....same premise and it works awesome)

Back
Top Bottom