Axe-Fx III Changing presets on its own

WillfullyDamned

My axe-fx 3 is changing presets by itself. I can be on preset 500 for example and it will just change itself to preset #30 or #27 for no apparent reason while I am in the middle of playing. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue/bug? I am on the latest firmware for both the axe and fc-12. I am at a loss here and this is really frustrating.

Thanks

I had this happen recently on a firmware 15 machine that was connected to an RJM 16. It just started advancing presets and I could not stop it. I rebooted and all was well again, but it scared me for when I gig out. Gotta figure it out - maybe a stuck switch, thanks Yek!

I've had a somewhat similar issue using a Liquid Foot 12+, with the Axe switching to preset 127. Rebooting the Axe fixes the problem, rebooting the 12+ does not. Happened twice in the past 3 weeks, so a little tough to identify what might be triggering the change.

Mine has this issue also. I do have an MC-6 connected so I always figured that was sending a random command but unsure. Someday it will happen on a gig and that will suck…

Obviously, disconnect all controllers as a start. It’s likely the Axe Fx isn’t the problem, but you should eliminate that anyway. Then reconnect the FC and see what happens. If that’s all good, move on to the USB. If there’s a hardware issue, it’ll show up during the process.

Weirdly this has happened to me twice live. I don’t know if it’s getting too hot or what. It be behaving and then suddenly start scrolling through all the patches while I’m playing. Ended up pulling the FC12 cable out to stop it, and using one patch which wasn’t good. Turned it off and on and it stopped for a bit and then did it again. Replugged it in, and let more air get to it and it was fine… So it’s not AXE FX 3. All firmware on both are up to date

I've had a somewhat similar issue using a Liquid Foot 12+, with the Axe switching to preset 127. Rebooting the Axe fixes the problem, rebooting the 12+ does not. Happened twice in the past 3 weeks, so a little tough to identify what might be triggering the change.
My axe-fx 3 is changing presets by itself. I can be on preset 500 for example and it will just change itself to preset #30 or #27 for no apparent reason while I am in the middle of playing. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue/bug? I am on the latest firmware for both the axe and fc-12. I am at a loss here and this is really frustrating.

Thanks
I’ve had issues. Recommend updating FC12 and AXE FC to latest firmware. I’m going try switch cleaning the FC12, just in case it’s that

This thread contains reports of different things happening with different MIDI and FC controllers connected, so it seems unlikely that there is a common problem here. Of course it is possible that there's an unusual bug in play, but if so, we haven't experienced or reproduced it.

I think it's unlikely that an FC switch could cause "preset scrolling" or jumping randomly to different presets (500->30), since neither of these things is normally possible on the FC. I suppose it is possible that a PRESET +1 switch could be triggering repeatedly, but no one has said whether or not they are using such a switch, and a problem like this might not limit itself to one function. In other words, if you changed the layout, you'd perhaps see that same switch misfiring and doing other things like changing scenes, toggling an effect on and off, etc.

As for 3rd party MIDI controllers doing strange things, I can't be of much help there, except to share that I see two scenarios in support cases. One is that the controller is sending bad data, and the other is that good data is being corrupted in transit (cable, interference, etc.)

The last thing I'll mention, and this is very rare, is that a stuck front panel NAV button can cause presets to "scroll." To remedy this, you can usually just gently work the buttons. Turn the unit off, press and release the buttons several times, then press, gently push, and move your finger in a circle, before releasing.

This happened to me a couple of years ago, 2 separate times at the same gig.

FC connected to Axe3 with no Preset switches. Playing on preset 400 or something - I never change from this ever - and suddenly no sound. I eventually look and I’m on 401 which is blank. No idea how that happened.

What’s really weird is the 2nd time it happened on another day, my duo partner on a Yamaha synth had HIS patch change up by 1 shortly after my axe did it. No MIDI between us or anywhere, nothing unusual.

Never happened again, never happened at home where the axe is on longer than a gig.

I have no explanation! #unsolvedmysteriessong

I’ve had this happen with an RJM 16. It was a setting on the controller / controller firmware not updated. It was difficult to figure out why, because it just happened once in a while.
It’s been stable under heavy use for months now after all updates.

FC connected to Axe3 with no Preset switches. Playing on preset 400 or something - I never change from this ever - and suddenly no sound. I eventually look and I’m on 401 which is blank. No idea how that happened.

What’s really weird is the 2nd time it happened on another day, my duo partner on a Yamaha synth had HIS patch change up by 1 shortly after my axe did it. No MIDI between us or anywhere, nothing unusual.

Never happened again, never happened at home where the axe is on longer than a gig.

Anecdote: Pre-Fractal; different gear; similar issue.

I experienced this issue with my Triaxis, G-Major and Ground Control on 3 occasions. My old band played a big festival on the other side of a mountain range that passed through a military base. Three years in a row we'd get to the field for a soundcheck and my selected midi channel was off by one increment. All my presets were off between the G-Major, Triaxis, and Ground Control from receiving junk info on the wrong midi channel. First time this happened I panicked. Subsequent times knew where to look. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar in the way of interference somehow triggered a change in the units. With so much floating through the air, who knows.

Sun spots!

That's the classic IT answer ;)

Thanks
Yeah mine did that yesterday and gig before. Swapped xlr cables and it was okay. My rack amp was getting hot and it’s just below it, cooled it down and triggers stopped 🤔

Back
Top Bottom