Axe FX III Backup Unit?

Bill-RTP

Inspired
Greetings all!

I had posted a question similar to this a number of years back when the AxeFX II was the latest, but wanted to revisit this. I have one of those mindsets that is always thinking about disaster recovery, likely because of my cyber-security / IT background, and I've always tried to have a backup unit on stand-by just in case something catastrophic happened on stage with the Axe FX III.

Currently I have my III feeding the II via MIDI and use the new MIDI block to change presets on the II while using the FC-12. It works for the most part, but I really have fallen in love with the III and probably won't be using the II ever again unless that disaster recovery scenario rears its ugly head. I also have a really old Digitech rack unit that is not even close to the III, but it would probably get me through a show if necessary.

For those of you playing regular gigs, what's your backup plan? Multiple AxeFX IIIs? Older units? The FM3 or FM9? No backup, and just not worrying about it?

Thanks!

Bill

Good question, interested to see what guys/gals are doing, for me I just use Tube amps live, but don't play out but once a month, and my Axe3 is sitting in a beautiful rack in the recording environment lol

I have the Fm3 for a backup and for fly gigs. It's easy to transfer your presets over, with the exception of dual amps.
But I've never had to actually use it as a backup.
Also, my band uses the Soundcraft Ui24r mixer, and channels 1 & 2 have a Digitech amp modeler I can use in a pinch. It's not bad, for a modeler included in mixer software.

I have a Tech21 FlyRig RK5 in the car. It's nowhere near the quality of the III, but it would get me through the night.

The only thing I ever had break down on a gig was the PA. We don't carry a backup for that

FM3 in my emergency bag, with tools, spare cables, strings, flash light, strap, picks and more.

In that situation I’d have an fm3 with presets that offer a number of generic amp types along with drives, delays etc that would get me through a gig.
Thanks
Pauly

NUX MG-30. Small, light, inexpensive, built-in pedal and amazing tones for the price.

I have a very small number of core tones set up as patches, each with extra drive and modulation options on the included dual foot-switch. The Ctrl footswitch: press once for slapback delay or press several times for a tempo delay. Press again to turn off.

All up, it can get me through a gig easily.

Last edited:
I used to have a AFIII Mark II, FM3 and an FM9. I decided to get to one platform, so I sold all three and bought two Turbos. I like being down to one platform for managing presets, but it is definitely more to haul around.

When performing with my AxeFX III, I always have either my FM3 with me, or a Tech 21 Fly Rig. I have never had a problem, but as has been said elsewhere in this thread, you really need to have a backup plan in case of on-stage failure.

Back
Top Bottom