Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 7 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
are all the amp models listed by Fractal Audio ? I don't see the recto1 model in the list?

or it's just been on hold for update or just forgot to list it?

are all the amp models listed by Fractal Audio ? I don't see the recto1 model in the list?

or it's just been on hold for update or just forgot to list it?
the list shows the models that have been updated. all models are still in the Axe, just some aren't updated and aren't in the "updated' list.

that's why this is a Public Beta, and not a complete release.

Also, dunno if it's just me but one of my go-to amps, the dweezil's baasman is super flubby now....it sounds like a regular bassman but flubbier

I'm going through some of my presets with the new beta, and... dang... the amps are really good. My Deluxe Reverb sounds like the original blackface ones I had, the black and silver face Twins sound like I'm right next to them, the LoneStar sounds and behaves like mine. I've got more to check, but I'm hearing sounds that are "real". In the last two years we've seen a huge improvement in realism and the feel and in the last six months it's been meeting my hopes for digital. I can't imagine what will happen in the next five years.

Fractal, y'all are kickin' butt and takin' names.

Is this the issue @boyce89976 was concerned with?
The changes definitely fixed the fizzy issue. There are some weird settings though... For instance, Negative Feedback is 1.38, but I think it should be zero. Also, Cathode Resistance is zero, where before it was 59%, I think. Changing it to the old values loses some oomph, and some volume, so I assume they are right... just weird.

It seems a little dull to me in the default settings. Presence doesn't seem to do anything, so I added a bright cap in the pwr amp block (180pf) and that helps. It's also quite a bit louder than in prior FW's (I had to reduce channel volume in Logic 4dB to match the prior recording).

The fizz is gone though, and the meaty ghost notes are back. Overall, it sounds great! I'd love a little more sparkle on top, but I think live, this will sit very nicely in a mix.

Here's the original Beta 5 recording for reference:

EDIT: Interestingly, the values above for Negative Feedback and Cathode Resistance auto-populated when I booted up with Beta 7, however, if I do a block reset, the values for Negative Feedback and Cathode Resistance return to their expected values of zero and 59.2% respectively. The reset helped restore some of the sparkle on top, and added some definition to the low strings.

Last edited:
EDIT: Interestingly, the values above for Negative Feedback and Cathode Resistance auto-populated when I booted up with Beta 7, however, if I do a block reset, the values for Negative Feedback and Cathode Resistance return to their expected values of zero and 59.2% respectively. The reset helped restore some of the sparkle on top, and added some definition to the low strings.

Did you update from beta to beta, or from 15 to the latest beta? Best way is to always return to the latest non-beta fw (15.01) + presets before updating to a new beta. Or to reset the block when going from beta to beta, as you have experienced.

Reworked this chart, but it is too big to post. Attached as a pdf.

Column 1 is all the amps from the Fractal wiki; Column 2 is the description; Column 3 is the Beta 7 equivalent amp.

I assume that when there is one model listed in the beta that it includes all the variants.
(e.g. Beta 7 1959SLP includes 1959SLP JUMP, 1959SLP NORMAL, and 1959SLP TREBLE).

I can't confirm this directly because I don't have an AFX-3.

The math suggests that 208 of 284 amps have been converted; 20 of those 208 still need to be verified.

Attachments

• Fractal AX3 beta amps.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 68
Reworked this chart, but it is too big to post. Attached as a pdf.

Column 1 is all the amps from the Fractal wiki; Column 2 is the description; Column 3 is the Beta 7 equivalent amp.

I assume that when there is one model listed in the beta that it includes all the variants.
(e.g. Beta 7 1959SLP includes 1959SLP JUMP, 1959SLP NORMAL, and 1959SLP TREBLE).

I can't confirm this directly because I don't have an AFX-3.

The math suggests that 208 of 284 amps have been converted; 20 of those 208 still need to be verified.

awesome work! Thank you very much!

Did you update from beta 3 to beta 4. or from 15 to the latest beta? Best way is to always return to the latest non-beta fw (15.01) before updating to a new beta. Or to reset the block, as you have experienced.
NOW you tell us! :)
...scuttles off to see what that does.

Did you update from beta to beta, or from 15 to the latest beta? Best way is to always return to the latest non-beta fw (15.01) + presets before updating to a new beta. Or to reset the block when going from beta to beta, as you have experienced.
Ah! Did not know that! Thank you. I went from Beta 4 to Beta 7.

Still same problem channel D recto

Not seeing this. The bug in the latest Beta (Public Beta 3, which was pulled) seems fixed in Public Beta 4.

If you are perhaps referring to another bug, please elaborate, because this isn't helping.

I reverted to the 15.1 release and the AF3 wasn't able to see my presets that'd been loaded under b5, so I cleared the presets and tried reloading them but had the same result. Fractal-Bot refused saying they'd been saved under b5 yesterday.

I reloaded b5, was able to reload my presets and upgraded to b7. The presets were visible, and amp block channels are showing up correctly.

Back to checking volumes and tweaking.

Reactions: yek
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom