Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the models have been updated to some degree. To make the list a model needs to be fully updated which means I go through all the parameters one-by-one. Then I compare the model to the reference amp. Sometimes there are only minor or no changes, sometimes there are more substantial changes.

Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me.

Has it always been based on the Lerxst, or is that a new thing because of Alex's generosity?

But James' personal amp is not the amp modelled in the C++ model, and the C++ model is not of a C++ modded IIC+ based on what Cliff has said in the past.
he's updating FAS models which aren't real amps, so this could probably be fully updated too.

But James' personal amp is not the amp modelled in the C++ model, and the C++ model is not of a C++ modded IIC+ based on what Cliff has said in the past.
When I was working with Metallica, the C+ didn't sound quite like the C++.
Then Cliff created the C++ model based on the technical info we exchanged.
He emailed me the firmware, and the new model sounded like the amp.

Yes I read in this forum Metallica’s guitar tech saying that it wasn’t hetfield amp .
don’t really care in the end but the 2c++ in the axe is one of my favorite in 15.01 and I hope it will be great in Cygnus . This is one of the best metal amp because it is tight

The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.
I vote to get all tapers as close to the real amps as posible.

I’ve been looking for the Engl Energyball, don’t see it on any list. Is it still there? To be clear, I haven’t installed 16 yet, I meant I don’t see it in the list amps for the beta...

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for the Engl Energyball, don’t see it on any list. Is it still there?
Not in the amp list ? I have tried most of the high gain update following cliff’s list , but don’t notice is the powerball still there . In fact I really dislike it in the 15.01

I own a fireball myself some years ago and this amp was really really good , I hope we will have it one day . The Blackmore head is nice too . concerning the beta , I am still unhappy with the triple rectifier update ... still waiting for the dual . I love these amps in real life and I think the axe don’t give them justice

SIZZLE!!! YES!!!! LOVE THE 100W PLEXI!!

For the bass players: I know times are tuff, but have you ever tried running your bass through a plexi or a bassman? Those old circuits are still delivering the goods!
Hiwatt would work well too.

There's the Ampeg SVT models, and the Portaflex, the Orange AD200B, the Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+, plus the FAS Bass custom model, and the various Bassman models.

Remember that in real life a tube bass amp has big capacitors and big transformers to provide clean lows, so they're somewhat specialized. In the AF3 we can use any amp any way we choose. Take a Fender Champ, connect it to 1x6 Oval or a 4x12 1960B, or a 8x10 cab block and you could use it as a bass system. The heavy lifting power-wise occurs in your downstream power-amp or FOH after the AF3 has processed the signal and made it sound like you want.

Last edited:
Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me.

Mojotone:

"In 2012, Mojotone was contacted by Geddy Lee's bass tech, John "Skully" McIntosh. Alex Lifeson was in search of an amp to use on their upcoming Clockwork Angels tour. He had used a Marshall Silver Jubilee in the studio and was having a hard time finding something reliable to use on the road. Skully knew that Mojotone had an arsenal of amp kits and parts at our disposal, and was also aware that Mojotone did contract manufacturing for other amp companies. He asked us to build him something close to a Jubilee and told us he needed it delivered to Canada in one week. We quickly put Mojotone tech Steve Snyder to task building this new amp. Steve put in more than a few long nights and added a few of his own ideas to the classic Marshall design. One week later the new "Lerxst Omega" amp was delivered to Alex where the band was rehearsing for the tour that was only two weeks away. We knew the amp sounded good when it left but Alex's response was much more than we ever expected:

"I am so blown away by the fantastic job you and your colleagues have done creating the Lerxst amp for me. We pulled the Marshall last night after A/B-ing the two. The tonal character is quite similar but the response of the Lerxst has greater immediacy, sustain and grip. It sounds so good!"

he's updating FAS models which aren't real amps, so this could probably be fully updated too.
With the verifying of the FAS models and Cliff’s previous statements on possibly building FAS tube amps as retirement. I am beginning to wonder if some of the FAS amps might be real. I am aware that models like the FAS Class A came out of a happy accident on another amp. Just a thought, but would be cool if some of the FAS models were secretly hanging out at Fractal HQ. Doesn’t effect how great they are either way though!

The “fas modern” sound super cool in Cygnus .
Don’t know if it’s a placebo or If I forgot his sound ... as it is not on the list

Not in the amp list ? I have tried most of the high gain update following cliff’s list , but don’t notice is the powerball still there . In fact I really dislike it in the 15.01

I own a fireball myself some years ago and this amp was really really good , I hope we will have it one day . The Blackmore head is nice too . concerning the beta , I am still unhappy with the triple rectifier update ... still waiting for the dual . I love these amps in real life and I think the axe don’t give them justice
I used to have a Blackmore. Loved it. The Savage is very very close to the Blackmore but with more gain I believe.

I used to have a Blackmore. Loved it. The Savage is very very close to the Blackmore but with more gain I believe.
I used to play a lot with the Blackmore when I was doing demos for ibanez some years ago . A sort of big Marshall yes . Reminds me the good old days before this Covid s*it...

Attachments

• F38075DD-66A4-4A42-AD96-A9DFC0032B1E.jpeg
    F38075DD-66A4-4A42-AD96-A9DFC0032B1E.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 59
I don't care about the MV taper as long as the range is more-or-less the same (0=min, 10=max) which should be the case. Thus if MV=10 then MV Trim would work the same.

The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.

I know it's not a public poll, but just to just offer one opinion, I loved the old standardized Log15 Master Volume control philosophy that prioritized actual granular control over the poweramp as opposed to having "real life" Master Volume knobs on so many amps that prioritized cheap marketing stunts and goosed the pot at the earliest opportunity to give you the illusion that "wow this amp is loud!" at the expense of tonal control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom