Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with this . Only you can decide . I am just waiting the final one . Because yes , tweaks take me a lot of time and don’t want to try something unfinished , work on it , and then redo everything if the final is different . Can we have a approx delay ? I don’t want to press at all , I can wait months 😅.
Just load it up and make a preset and try a few amps. Whats the big deal? You don't have to keep that preset or the beta firmware or change your current presets. Don't be afraid to live a little! Go! 😄

@FractalAudio Okay, will drop it after communicating this (sorry...).

I confirmed on the same amp / same other settings (Band-Commander) give different behavior of Cathode Follower at higher settings.

In 15.01 with CF compression at 100% and harmonics at 1.0 the signal is a bit reduced but audible. In 16b4, it almost disappears.
With grid clipping increased to 100% there is a signal in 15.01 but no detectable signal in 16b4.

It's just an observation. If it's as you expect, cool! [Will scurry back under rock for bothering you with inane details.]

👾👾👾👾👾
👾👾👾
👾
🐡

i want to see the 5150 block , savage , rectifiers, soldano, carvin legacy, Marshall slash , These are the ones difficult to tweak .

@FractalAudio Okay, will drop it after communicating this (sorry...).

I confirmed on the same amp / same other settings (Band-Commander) give different behavior of Cathode Follower at higher settings.

In 15.01 with CF compression at 100% and harmonics at 1.0 the signal is a bit reduced but audible. In 16b4, it almost disappears.
With grid clipping increased to 100% there is a signal in 15.01 but no detectable signal in 16b4.

It's just an observation. If it's as you expect, cool! [Will scurry back under rock for bothering you with inane details.]
Cygnus is not Ares. To expect them to behave the same is silly.

Yep. Okay. :joycat:

[And I'm a scientist by education and training, so exploring and testing is part of my wiring. And trying to understand "invariants", "non-invariants", "couplings" of a system under different conditions.]

Last edited:
Yeah. But we can break the old rules in this device! (Sometimes)

We got impedance curves, tube swaps, etc. I like playing with different tone stacks too.

So, globally people seems happy with the cygnus beta but I read some people being not so impressed and get back to 15.01
Don’t know what to think
I need to try it myself but I am waiting for the final result, as I don’t want to redo 100 presets to change them every week ...
it’s seems that the high gain amps have not convinced high gain users 🤔 . Strange as we read “chug” for 2 weeks

I wonder if the fact that some people use passive pickups and others active may influence the experience with Cygnus, I'm pretty sure Cliff uses passive, so maybe those who use exclusively active don't notice the improvement the same way.

Just load it up and make a preset and try a few amps. Whats the big deal? You don't have to keep that preset or the beta firmware or change your current presets. Don't be afraid to live a little! Go! 😄
@My name is mud this is worth repeating. Just because you install a new version of the firmware doesn't mean you have to keep using it, and it doesn't mean you have to re-do all of your presets. I have ton of my own presets, and I don't plan to go through all of them until 16.0 is final, but that's not going to stop me from loading 16.0 beta and playing around with it a bit. I have backups of all of my presets, so it's not a big deal to go back to the starting point when the final 16.0 is released.

Also, all the Facebook/forum/YouTube opinions in the world won't really tell you if the new firmware sounds good. You can only tell if you like it after you hear it with the guitars and amplification you use.

I was trying to find a Drive to go with a dimed Tweed Deluxe... quite a few of them were a bit boxy.

Try the new Sonic Drive with it... works great.

I just like to chime in and say the overall sound and feel is spot on for my taste. Whomever suggested pairing the Tucana3 with the Cornford is an absolute genius. I used the Factory 5153/57A IR with my LP (stock pups) and wow...not only was the chug there but the feel was extremely tight. Add the T808 OD in front with drive set to 0 and tone set to approx 7. Both the Input Drive and Overdrive on both amps were set to approx 2 O'Clock but all other settings were left at their defaults. Thanks Cliff.

I’m not English so my words / sentences can be wrong and not very well understood. I just want more metal demos in the end. I am happy with the sound of the 15.01 and it was a very long process to have sounds I like . Well . I just need to wait .
Backup Time: 0:30
Firmware Install: Some seconds
Test: Take your time
Firmware Reinstall: Some seconds too! 😀
Satisfaction: No price!

I'm not usually a beta humper but pulled down my pants for this one. Backup first. Then loaded up the FW > updated Axe edit. First preset comes up is one i just created for my new 7 string guitar I got the other week. PVH6160 block and pow! bam! right to the solar plexus. That oomph and growl. I heard it the first few chords. The note definition i have to say as well really stands out. The guitar/pickups play to their fuller potential here. Bravo. The Axe III was the single best thing for me in 2020 and good start to 2021 here.

I wonder if the fact that some people use passive pickups and others active may influence the experience with Cygnus, I'm pretty sure Cliff uses passive, so maybe those who use exclusively active don't notice the improvement the same way.
What's funny about that is I use my passives for the Axe because I think they sound better through it, but just today tested my actives through Cygnus and suddenly think they sound good enough to use more often. That being said, I do notice more of a difference between 15/16 through my passives, but that's just because I generally find all actives equally bland sounding, and probably didn't use them enough to make an assessment.

@My name is mud just try it man, don't expect other people's opinions to let you not enjoy something?

Speaking of which, with the only exception of the 5150 red, I've seen almost total consensus here that Cygnus is amazing!

I'd say try it and if you don't like it, just go back, it only takes a few seconds, just back up as you know you always should...

If I listened to only influencers and I didn't try out the axe myself, I'd be playing a pod and still lugging around heavy amps and cabs. Influencers are usually paid, endorsed, or have a vested interest in the products they sell, which makes me less believing in their 'reviews'.

FAS doesn't even do the freebies thing, so every single one of people who praise the axe fx are those who forked out their cash from their pocket, the way it SHOULD be done IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom