Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
@York Audio Ok so it don’t represent your work . What about removing the old ones and put your present work ? (Just talking, I imagine it’s not so easy)
I use a lot of different cabs and all are stock ones , it can be very cool if fractal does brand new ones, you, ownhammer .... the irs seems to be something more than important in the sound of modellers, as it’s all about miced amp

Try using a guitar with some low output pickups (I’m using a Tele) and turn the compression waaay down to like 10-20%. It sounds huge but still has a lot of clarity. It’s almost like a modded Plexi.

I love the Herbert, but it can definitely be too compressed sometimes for anything other than metal.
yup, it’s made for metal and my no.1 amp model for brootz.

With some nice tweaks you can make it work for other styles also, but generally, I don’t like to tweak amps too much to make it work for different styles - I’ll just switch to amp model, which sounds great for needed style at stock settings :)

my top “no tweak” amps are :

herbie 3 - metal
cameron ccv - high/medium gain
dual verb vibrato - pristine clean

@York Audio i just purchased your mini pack as it is the exact same cab I use for 20 years, so I know it pretty well 😋. This is my first ir purchase ever 😅 .
your 4x12 Mesa v2 sample sound completely killer 😍. Real head with Ir in a ir loader ?
i try this as soon as I can, maybe you just have a new customer 🙃
Thanks for picking it up. :) I’ll respond to your question in the York Audio thread in the user cab section. Just wanna keep this thread about Cygnus stuff, but I’ll give you the details in the other thread.

I’m curious if there have been changes to the effects models. I noticed that my delay settings were much louder than before and I had to turn the mix down a bit to make them more balanced vs the dry tone.
Cygnus sound updates made all my choruses sound a little more direct and dry, probably due to the changes in the way the amp's bass and treble dynamics interact with things....

@York Audio i just purchased your mini pack as it is the exact same cab I use for 20 years, so I know it pretty well 😋. This is my first ir purchase ever 😅 .
your 4x12 Mesa v2 sample sound completely killer 😍. Real head with Ir in a ir loader ?
i try this as soon as I can, maybe you just have a new customer 🙃

That 2x12 Mesa York IR for $1 is about the best $1 you can spend in the guitar world.

And, Cygnus (to be on topic).

I think the axe don’t make them Justice . They are very trebly. I will try my pack tomorrow .
i have done tons of combinations with the stock ones, but many of them are boxy . It can be another step to have a big upgrade with cabs in the next firmware as we know that changing 10 high gain heads in the same cab sound pretty close, but changing 10 cabs with the same head sounds drastically different

@York Audio Hey Justin, when I am missing that sizzle, I find boosting by just 1 db or so the 4 KHz in the amp block 10 band GEQ can help add that edge back. As well as adding more % "air" in the Cab block at 5kHz.

I'm about to start digging into this "almost public" release firmware to update all the LiveGold presets, and as I do, I use a splitter box to A/B comparing each Cygnus preset to to firmware 15 version. Just as a basis for me to see if an amp drifted dramatically, and thus should be further tweaked after amp Cygnus reset. If I see need for any other top-end restoration tricks as I get under the hood, will post back here. - AB
That will be great. Your presets are fantastic.

I think the axe don’t make them Justice . They are very trebly. I will try my pack tomorrow .
i have done tons of combinations with the stock ones, but many of them are boxy . It can be another step to have a big upgrade with cabs in the next firmware as we know that changing 10 high gain heads in the same cab sound pretty close, but changing 10 cabs with the same head sounds drastically different

Agreed. I think there was a Kohlekeller Studio video that convinced me that changing the cab matters more for high gain than the amp. A few exceptions, of course, but really: a Herbert or a Dual Rec won't matter that much, but a Marshall v Orange v Mesa cab matters a lot. YMMV and IMHO and all that.

Second clip is noticeably quieter as well.

FWIW, listening to that clip, I'd take 12 over 11 because that oomf that was in 11 is exactly the stuff I EQ out in the mixing phase, or use a multi-band compressor in the preset to squash out. When that oomf stacks up with a bass and a kick drum, it ends up turning to mud.

It's funny, I was having a 'discussion' with an anti-modeler "tubes are for real men" type earlier this week and explaining why I used the MBC. I posted a little clip as an example. Dude replied, "Thanks for the clip but it sounds better without it. It lost all the thump and balls" and then he brought up Metallica's Black album tones and how they were super bass-y. They're far from super bass-y, all the weight on that album is from the bass and drums, which have plenty of room to breath because that 'thump' was sucked out of the guitars.

Cygnus seems to have solved 2 issues I run into frequently and was using either an MBC or PEQ for; the boomy thump and the fizzy 3K-4K frequencies.

Updating factory cabs would cause at least as much commotion as the firmware update is in this thread though - you'd have people pleading to get their old York IR's back because that was their sound ;)

I responded in the York Audio thread. Feel free to talk to me there if you have any comments or questions. :)

FWIW, listening to that clip, I'd take 12 over 11 because that oomf that was in 11 is exactly the stuff I EQ out in the mixing phase, or use a multi-band compressor in the preset to squash out. When that oomf stacks up with a bass and a kick drum, it ends up turning to mud.

It's funny, I was having a 'discussion' with an anti-modeler "tubes are for real men" type earlier this week and explaining why I used the MBC. I posted a little clip as an example. Dude replied, "Thanks for the clip but it sounds better without it. It lost all the thump and balls" and then he brought up Metallica's Black album tones and how they were super bass-y. They're far from super bass-y, all the weight on that album is from the bass and drums, which have plenty of room to breath because that 'thump' was sucked out of the guitars.

Cygnus seems to have solved 2 issues I run into frequently and was using either an MBC or PEQ for; the boomy thump and the fizzy 3K-4K frequencies.
I don't mind the wump on most modern amps anymore, because I've gone more minimal in recording and I'm kinda tired of metal (gasp).
You're definitely on the ball when it comes to laying 4+ tracks, that's gonna build up quick, though I'll use a more surgical mbc in the daw.
The thumpiest, wumpiest amps are the fenders, especially with a neck pickup but the feeling in the room is too good to cut out, so I'll do it after recording.
I really can't fault dyed in the wool tube purists, since there's always been some problem or other that results in endless tweaking to get something that works. Cygnus has cut like 99% of that for me over this beta cycle, enough that I'm confident I can pick an amp with a cab I know I like and play or record without touching deeper tweaks, or having to record four rhythm tracks to get something fat.

I don't mind the wump on most modern amps anymore, because I've gone more minimal in recording and I'm kinda tired of metal (gasp).
You're definitely on the ball when it comes to laying 4+ tracks, that's gonna build up quick, though I'll use a more surgical mbc in the daw.
The thumpiest, wumpiest amps are the fenders, especially with a neck pickup but the feeling in the room is too good to cut out, so I'll do it after recording.
I really can't fault dyed in the wool tube purists, since there's always been some problem or other that results in endless tweaking to get something that works. Cygnus has cut like 99% of that for me over this beta cycle, enough that I'm confident I can pick an amp with a cab I know I like and play or record without touching deeper tweaks, or having to record four rhythm tracks to get something fat.

Hahahah at least you realize that it's generally got to be addressed in the mixing phase. I've spent so much time on that debate with nearly every guitarist I've ever recorded. "Why you chopping the balls of?!?"

I only fault the tube purist when they refuse to acknowledge that an AxeFX is capable of deliver ridiculous tones. It's like they all think the original POD has been put in a different shell.

As for quad-tracking stuff, it really depends (for me anyway) what the song calls for. I can generally get away with just double tracking, but if I want a WALL, I'll quad track it. But even just double-tracking, maybe because the way I dial in the bass and kick in my music, I still gotta do some chopping in that lower range. I like it when the bass/kick thump my chest and it seems a little harder to make that happen at lower volumes when there's a guitar covering some of that ground.

Hahahah at least you realize that it's generally got to be addressed in the mixing phase. I've spent so much time on that debate with nearly every guitarist I've ever recorded. "Why you chopping the balls of?!?"
Just don't cut it off in their headphone mix, or give them the mixerman air knob.
Depending on the song of course, or parts of a song more realistically, guitars are gonna need some taming, like keying bass and kick, etc. That's all logical.
I'm such a drum snob that my first mix pass will usually have the guitars too low to hear any low end thump anyway :D

Double track the bass, go big. (sometimes this does actually work).

I'm looking forward to checking out the official release and maybe making some new presets for the latest acquisitions.

I only fault the tube purist when they refuse to acknowledge that an AxeFX is capable of deliver ridiculous tones. It's like they all think the original POD has been put in a different shell.

As for quad-tracking stuff, it really depends (for me anyway) what the song calls for. I can generally get away with just double tracking, but if I want a WALL, I'll quad track it. But even just double-tracking, maybe because the way I dial in the bass and kick in my music, I still gotta do some chopping in that lower range. I like it when the bass/kick thump my chest and it seems a little harder to make that happen at lower volumes when there's a guitar covering some of that ground.
The more layers of guitars you’ll add, the less definition you’ll have.

some of the beefiest guitar tone I like are just single tracked hard panned guitars with thick tone dialed in first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom