Axe Fx II XL+ Down/Up Tuning Quality vs. Digitech Whammy DT

Tomer

I don't have an Axe Fx just yet, but I was looking to see how the quality of the down/up tuning was with the unit as compared to a Whammy DT pedal from Digitech. If you want to drop down 1/2 or a full step... do you get tons of artifacts that are clearly noticeable? Advice/Suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

DT works much better

Axe doesn't handle chords very well with regards to any pitch/octave effects. Whammy DT, POG, SubN'Up etc type pedals all do things the Axe can't do very well. About the one thing that requires external pedals
Thanks! Appreciate the advice :)

I don't have a DT and have not used it. That said I started using the pitch block in 8.x firmware and if you get the settings right it seems passable to me. I am using it to tune down half and whole step. Put it first in your signal chain before the amp

so much better than the built in pitch block where its worth spending an extra $250 on a whammy dt? :)

My solution is to use another guitar. We do some stuff in E tuning and some in Eb. I bring guitars tuned to both pitches to gigs.

There is a guy on the forum that posted a great workaround to mask the latency associated with using the pitch block. He even posted the preset. Search around for it. It really made a huge difference for me. Perhaps it even beats that $250 pedal.

If you are using the Whammy a lot then you might be better of keeping that pedal but I think that the one in the Axe Fx is more than okey. If you just set it up the right way...

Hey Max! I love your videos!

I had a question about the Whammy setup here. How come you chose to assign the Expression Pedal to the "Stop" parameter and not the "Control" parameter on the whammy? Is there a difference in sound or performance with this setup?

Thanks!

How come you chose to assign the Expression Pedal to the "Stop" parameter and not the "Control" parameter on the whammy? Is there a difference in sound or performance with this setup?

Controlling start or stop will quantize the shift to semitones. For a smooth shift like a real Whammy pedal, use "control" parameter.

Hey Max! I love your videos!

I had a question about the Whammy setup here. How come you chose to assign the Expression Pedal to the "Stop" parameter and not the "Control" parameter on the whammy? Is there a difference in sound or performance with this setup?

Thanks!
Thank you. It's very nice to hear that you like the videos. That makes me happy. I think you are totally right I could probably use "Control" and get the same result. I will have to try it out. There shouldn't be any changes in the sound but I will try it out.
Well well some times you get it wrong but it works anyway :p:D;)
To bad I named the video "The right way" :oops::rolleyes: Never mind I was thinking that to engage the effect when it's not on was "The Right Way"...

Back
Top Bottom