Axe-Fx II XL+ and two tube amps all together?

Westlake

Dear community.

Im truly sorry if this question have been up before. I did try to search for it, and tried to read a few pages up and down, but couldn't seem to find any regarding this matter.

I have two tube amps (Mesa Roadking II and Diesel VH4), and a mothership-large pedal board, which I have grewn quite tired of lugging around.

I am planning to buy the new Axe-Fx II XL+ unit, and use it together with my two amps, as effects processor. Only keeping a few of my analog drive/distortion pedals.

So, my question goes: Will this be a success for me? Will it be possible to tie it all up together, using the "4 cable method" with both amps. I guess one amp in left effect loop of the Axe-Fx and the other in the right, and then the instrument output left/right goes in the front of each amp.

Is it really as simple as that, or will I encounter some mess here?

Im just semi-prof guitarist, so I dont have a big band-fund to pay for my new Axe-Fx unit, so I hope to gain some knowledge about this before actually buying the unit :)

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

/Jimmy

You could actually use the 7 cables method and use the axe as a signal splitter. Connect your guitar in the axe, the axe left and right output to respective amps and then the fx loops connected back to the axe.

This gives you the opportunity to use the axe to split your signal to the two amps and use effects both in front and in the loop of each amps respectively.

If you are tired of lugging stuff around, it would be better to replace your amps with an Axe FX. Then you'd shave a lot of poundage.

I started with the Axe in 4CM and while it is an awesome set up, it did not take long for me to dump the amp. I could get better tones out of the models.

If you are tired of lugging stuff around, it would be better to replace your amps with an Axe FX. Then you'd shave a lot of poundage.

I started with the Axe in 4CM and while it is an awesome set up, it did not take long for me to dump the amp. I could get better tones out of the models.

Thank you for both of your replies.

This was what I have hoped for. I have seen many Youtube videoes and are really amazed of how clear and crisp the effects of the Axe-Fx sounds.

Regarding throwing away the amps: One thing at a time :) - maybe there is light in the end of the tunnel, but for now, I can't imagine parting with my beloved amps :)

Thank you :)
Jimmy

Honestly this sounds like overkill.. I mean, reeeeeally overkill. For the price of your Diezel alone you could have a really nice AxeFxII rig!
You will undoubtedly hear several opinions in the matter but I firmly and truly believe that with the right cab and a matrix amp you can get an amazing sounding rig that rivals that of real tube amps..

If you are dead set on keeping your beautiful amps maybe the AX8 is a better solution for ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly this sounds like overkill.. I mean, reeeeeally overkill. For the price of your Diezel alone you could have a really nice AxeFxII rig!
You will undoubtedly hear several opinions in the matter but I firmly and truly believe that with the right cab and a matrix amp you can get an amazing sounding rig that rivals that of real tube amps..

If you are dead set on keeping your beautiful amps maybe the AX8 is a better solution for ya!

+1 on this. Sell all the "other stuff" and go the "new" and improved way with an Axe FX. You will love it. I did/do.

Once you play through the AxFX XL+
You will probably want to store your amps best piece of gear I ever bought

It sounds as if you have the means to try the Axe without having to sell your current rig to fund it. If so I would buy the Axe II and set it up with a power amp and cab or FRFR and see if you can duplicate your tube rig setup. Keep both rigs until you are convinced / satisfied with what the Axe can do then make a decision as to whether or not you want to incorporate, replace, sell, retire or mothball you're tube rig.

Id get two lehle 3@1 aby pedals and split the signal A side too axe fx II B side to next lehle 3@1
those feed the tube amps..

Get flat response speakers for the axe and use the many cab sims offered
then compare both on the fly you can duplicate your tube amps using amps inside the axe
and save those when they sound identical too you then you know ok I did these myself
name them as such original what ever and * or something to designate it as a keeper.

Then if you only roll with the axe you have your tube amps with you always anyway.
This is what I did and I sold most of my tube amps..

I kept a few just cause but even those I duplicated where Id be just fine at a gig without them.

Thank you for both of your replies.

This was what I have hoped for. I have seen many Youtube videoes and are really amazed of how clear and crisp the effects of the Axe-Fx sounds.

Regarding throwing away the amps: One thing at a time :) - maybe there is light in the end of the tunnel, but for now, I can't imagine parting with my beloved amps :)

Thank you :)
Jimmy
Oh, you don't have to part with them. It's just better for your back if you can figure out how to not bring them to gigs anymore.

Also, you can keep two sets of presets... One for using the 4/7CM with your amps, and one for the AxeFX by itself.

Back
Top Bottom