Axe Fx II warranty questions

Mel.

Hello,

I am considering buying a used Axe Fx II that is a couple years old. I was wondering if anyone else has bought used and what their experience has been?

Would you recommend buying new from Fractal and getting the one or three year warranty?

Are there any common issues with the Axe Fx II where you have been thankful for the warranty?

Thank you in advance!

I'm certainly biased, but all things being equal I'd recommend a new one. You never know what a used unit has been through.
Plus for just a little bit more, you can get the features of the XL+
Once you get into it, you'll really like the extra user cabs. Plus, the unit will have a higher resale value if you someday ironically decide to sell it.

I debated the same things about two months ago or so, problem was that the used prices were really close to a new one. Every where I read, the consensus for extended warranties are it's a waste of money, because products usually don't fail within the three to five year mark. After thirty years of playing, it's the most fun I have had in the last two months, whichever way you go, you will ask yourself, why did I wait so long to get one....

What version of Axe-Fx II? Mark I/II/XL ? The Mark I had an issue with using the 4CM bc of an issue with Output 2 Hiss. FAS fixed mine for free but I had to pay shipping both ways which was around $80.

If you plan to use a MFC-101 with it, make sure the Axe-Fx II Ethernet port works bc it can get damaged if anyone accidentally plugged a USB cable into it or if they connected a MFC-101 while the Axe-Fx II was powered on.

If you plan to power a MIDI Foot Controller with a 7pin MIDI cable, make sure the Axe-Fx II phantom power port works bc it can be damaged by connecting a MIDI Foot Controller that uses more than 1amp=1000ma.

I have an Axe II mk1, got it at a great used price, saving a ton over the price of a new one. Its worked fantastic (knock on wood)

For the most part its kind of modular, so that if lets just say the power supply goes bad (not that its a problem) you can pretty easily get the parts and replace it. In other words, its not like in the rare chance something goes bad you have a worthless dead unit that can't be serviced.

Overall just depends on the deal you can get on a used one... Saving something like $800-900 over the price of a new XL+ ? That is a big savings, at least based upon my budget

I'm with Matt. Stretch out and get a new one.

If circumstances/situations demand that you buy used, you're still in pretty good shape; they're built pretty tough. But move some beans around and see if you can buy new.

R

Overall just depends on the deal you can get on a used one... Saving something like $800-900 over the price of a new XL+ ? That is a big savings, at least based upon my budget

Agreed- if you're on a budget, the savings would allow you do get the MFC controller for what you would spend on a new XL+. If you have the budget though, I would go for new. I never get warranties on electronics.. but I'm always working around a tight budget. YMMV...

Either way, the Axe FX has been the best guitar-related product I've purchased in many years of playing.

They have had issues over the years, albeit only small ones that I've ever heard of. I don't know that anyone had a problem in year 1 of ownership. We're talking about occasionally skipping control wheels a few years in (note the change to optical on the XL), loud fans, etc. The thing with electronics is that the failure cases tend to be either extremely short term or extremely long term. They'll go the first month, or things will crop up at 3-5 years in when any chance of warranty is long gone. Personally I'm okay with buying used for that reason.

Being able to safely buy a product used with out manufacturer defect worry is a testament to the quality of the product.

Having said that, it depends on what the users do to them. Most higher cost gear gets babied as most users that can afford said gear will take care of their gear. So in this case, I would say the AXE falls into that category.

Great, thank you for the input everyone. I would be getting it shipped to Canada and paying in Canadian dollars so that it a part of the issue in terms of buying new momentarily.

Back
Top Bottom