Axe-FX II STP "Interstate Love Song" JCM800 and Friedman BE

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I've loved this song all these years, played it a thousand times at cover gigs and still love it. So I'd thought instead of more noodle clips, how about a real song.

I wasn't shooting for duplicating Dean's original tones on the recording; rather I used their song as a canvas to use my own.

Here's a shot at it with the Axe-FX II using a supplied backing track I downloaded as an MP3. It's a noisy MP3, but it is what it is. Here's the backing: Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song (2) Free Guitar Backing Track

Here I did two takes, one the left my PRS Custom 22 using a Friedman BE, Cab (Factory RedWirez Basketweave G12M-20 and G12M-25 with a SM57 and R121 respectively) some reverb and some delay (about 3% wet each). The right is my PRS Custom 22 using a JCM800, goosed with some Tape Drive in front of the amp, Cab (Factory RedWirez Basketweave G12M-20 and G12M-25 with a SM57 and R121 respectively) some reverb and some delay (about 3% wet each).

The lead in solo is the JCM 800 with my Melancon Custom Artist.

Full Mix:

For *critical* listening, FLAC 16bit: 05 2011 STP.flac

For convenience:

Just My Guitars:

For *critical* listening, FLAC 16bit: 05 2011 STP GTR ONLY.flac

For convenience:

Last edited:
Doing a cover! Its da' bomb...good song selection considering Cliff already copped everyones fav: The Dream Police (they live inside 'a my head)

Damn nice Scott. Put that up anywhere outside a guitar forum and no one would give a crap if it was a modeler. Great playing, great sounds, great tone!

Great job Scott!

Doing a cover! Its da' bomb...good song selection considering Cliff already copped everyones fav: The Dream Police (they live inside 'a my head)

Yea...now Cliff's playing another tune. It's a dead-silent number. Kinda goes like this:

"The fractal store it lives inside of my head.
The fractal store won't let me go to bed.
The fractal store -- I didn't get there in time...OH NO!!!!!!!!!!

Well I can't whine now 'cause Cliff's listening to me
And I can't sleep now that the release could be..TONIGHT, TONIGHT!

If I miss the release, I'll be waiting for weeks
EV-RY SIN-GLE NIGHT it's driving me me insane......................."

Awesome Scott, really great to hear in a mix, the pure fact that they don't sound in any way out of place in a full pro mix speaks volumes about your choice in tone and also about what the AxeFX II can deliver! Superb!

Hmmm.. That really SOUNDS like an amp.. Just mic´d. No polished tones. Just pure amp. I´ll keep my Ultra. Always wanted 2 setups... But damn. AXE II is going to me. I´ll sell my home and buy AXE II, MFC and a Suhr or two. Don´t need to live in the city. Can´t play loud here anyway :)

Sounds great Scott. Even though you weren't going for it, I think your tone does sound similar to Dean's. But I think I like your tone even better :).

This is one of those songs that never gets old.. I don't even want to count how many times I've listened to it over the years. STP rocks.

Sounds great!

Only criticism would be is I thought there was a touch too much "clang" going on but listening to the backing track alone I hear that it's all on the bass. :)

Sounds great. I always liked this song as well. I one day realized it was due to the similarities with Jim Croce's "I Got a Name".

Very Nice Scott. I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is your set up?

For this it was PRS Custom 22 - Axe-FX II - USB out - Reaper. Headphones for monitoring (Audio Technica ATH-M50) direct from the Axe-FX II headphone out jack. Completely direct, silent recording. Mixed on headphones. No post processing to the guitars; just level, pan and then limited the entire mix on the master buss. Output to FLAC format at 16bit. Let Soundcloud convert the FLAC to mp3; also posted the FLAC files in the OP.

Learning to play slide is a bonus to make the intro sound correct and capture the vocal line melody like the STP guitarist does. We play it and the slide part is pretty easy.

Learning to play slide is a bonus to make the intro sound correct and capture the vocal line melody like the STP guitarist does. We play it and the slide part is pretty easy.

Yea, I know the slide part and used to do it on slide... just ripped this late at night and wasn't being fussy about it. Or perhaps just too lazy to go get my slide out. :D

Back
Top Bottom