Axe FX II + Roland VG-99 = Axe FX III

I had a vg99 for years, and a vg88 before it. I sold the vg99 after I bought my AF2, but kept my vg strat. My Roland ready will go on sale soon somewhere
There were very few patches on the vg99 that were good enough to record with, just Tracer and Paragliding I think, and some tuning tricks, I think EAEEAE was my favourite, but in the end I realised that getting a cheap bass sounded better than the tracer patch, and that a nice cheap strat tuned to DADGAD sounded way better than the vg99 sims, Once I got the "Paragliding" type patch on the AF2, the vg99 went on ebay, and I sold it for more than I paid new 4 years ago ( a very rare result for me)

the vg strat sims are good enough for live, or for a HB sim when recording sometimes.

I have tried using midi guitar controllers for 21 years. My conclusion is that it's very rare they are useful, possibly only to trigger bowed instrument patches when played live. Instead I am learning to play a keyboard more accurately
I did have fun with the guitar controllers though, and the vg99 was the best Roland box

Well I'm in slight disagreement. I found all the guitars fantastic and when peeps listen to stuff I have recorded right away they can tell its a strat or les paul. Their acoustics aren't bad but I find they all have a predominant hiss behind them so I either EQ it out or record with my Tak instead. I agree that its a great Live box because of the convenience and inability for drunk belligerents to be able to tell the difference between real and virtual.

I liked the string retuning of my VG-88II but that wasn't enough to keep that big floor unit around, (obviously no interest either in acquiring a VG-99.)
I had the GR-55 and could not wait to sell it.
NOT a fan of COSM!
Because floor space is limited here where I live I recently sold my GR-33 which wasn't bad but I rarely used it.
It's down to just an Axon AX100mkII for any midi triggering I want to record with.
Having said that I agree it would be a dream come true to have a FAS guitar synth to pair up with my Axe FX2 :)

My Gibson Dark Fire (Robot II) does 5 second turnings, has Piezo for Acoustic.
Had to do a lot of reading, but after I disabled the EQ BS, set all Pickup Switching to "Les Paul mode" and learned my Tunings all to the Main Blue Bank. Now it works perfect for Live performances. Drop C to Standard to Eb to Drop Db all in seconds!
Plus I have a Les Paul sounding Les Paul along with all of that.

Nice setup there! Im using a Line 6 JTV 69 for the alt tuning stuff into my Fx II. One switch does it all there too.... :pride:

@jesusinjesusin - Nice Setup.

Here's mine - I'm using a Gator DJ rack where I made a custom blank plate for the top leaving 1U left for my top mounted power conditioner. The VG is velcro'd to it and its rock solid. The Gator rack comes with a snap on cover as well.

RAxe F Hex III.jpg

@jesusinjesusin - Nice Setup.

Here's mine - I'm using a Gator DJ rack where I made a custom blank plate for the top leaving 1U left for my top mounted power conditioner. The VG is velcro'd to it and its rock solid. The Gator rack comes with a snap on cover as well.

View attachment 17521

Wow!! It's a great idea! When I was setting up mine, was wondering if the Gator Dj rack would suit with the RAD-99 rack mount adaptor...so I'll try it. Thanks! ;)

I have both a JTV-69 and a VG-99 as well as the Axe-Fx II.

I am not really a fan of the JTV as far as it being a comfortable guitar from my point of view. It is usable, but the implementation of the software and firmware leaves a lot to be desired. I damn near bricked it trying to update it to high def. Also, the proprietary battery and the lack of available spares are a weak spot.

On the VG-99, it is good idea that just has not been fleshed out, and there are no updates on the horizon.

I'd like to see someone run with a hi quality VG-99-like system with Fractal's level support behind it. I rather not see Fractal get into the guitar building business. Let them do what they do best, electronics.

How do you all connect your VG-99 to your Axe Fx? just VG-99 mono straight in Axe fx instrument input? or stereo in the Fx loop? or separate amps for both units?

Last edited:
How do you all connect your VG-99 to your Axe Fx? just VG-99 mono straight in Axe fx instrument input? or stereo in the Fx loop? or separate amps for both units?

SPDIF out of VG into Axe SPDIF. Zero noise. Works fantastically!

I own a VG 99 and am very annoyed that Roland has not updated its software in years. The tones are so "digital" sounding compared to the axe fx. The only reason I bought it was to experiment with alternative tunings with ease however since the amp modeling sucks after playing with the axe it's become a paper weight.

However are you saying I can use the Axe in all its glory and use my cosm guitar?
I thought that was not possible because I needed to be directly plugged into the midi controller to change the string tunings? Or once I hook the VG 99 up to the axe fx this is possible?

SPDIF out of VG into Axe SPDIF. Zero noise. Works fantastically!

how does that work exactly? Never used the SPDIF. When using the SPDIF out you always have the VG-99 at the at end of the signal chain? So first Axe fx and then VG-99?
I can imagine that it would be better to have it first in the chain because of the guitar modeling and alt tunings.

And where do you connect your guitar and the midi hex pickup cable?

Well, I hook the VG-99 up L and R outputs straight in the Axe backside inputs. I tried to connect them by SPDIF but I couldn't because of the sample rate. Axe 48.000Hz 24bits Vs. VG-99 44.100Hz 24 bits so, @A to the T, How could you connect them?? I'd rather use digital outputs but I don't know how to do it... Thank you man!

Last edited:
Usually, the guitar out to the front panel and the Roland VG-99 mains to the Input 2/FX Loop return. Since I have only had this unit a short time, I haven't time to check whether or not it sucks tone like the earlier Roland Synths did. If it does, then I'll run the guitar into the front directly.

When my Private Stock arrives, I'll have to use a stereo splitter and go direct into the back instead.

for those of you that don't know the VG-99 intimately.. a little note..currently in a few areas it's actually superior to the Axe..... it's a very good and capable unit.. not to be underestimated..
... it has it's own strengths and weaknesses..

I agree with Clarky's statements. I want to add that for anyone who is using the FC-300 with an Axe, and you also own a VG-99, I found that the VG serves nicely as an interface using the RRC2 (cat5) cable. Control continues via standard MIDI over to the Axe. I haven't noticed and problems with latency. Because the VG is sending sysex messages back to the FC-300, I see an annunciation of the patch on the display. I couldn't live without some of the patches my VG-99 is capable of, so I used the VG Library to arrange the patches to coincide with the AxeII. In other words, both are producing presets that are paired-up , but only one is heard at a time. Switching between the two is done using a Boss FS-6 to control a custom audio signal switch. (stereo balanced audio) One of the few trendy songs I do is Hotel California. The VG provides a wonderful 12-string guitar for that. In short, The VG-99 has a unique sound the the Axe can't match.
I also stand with Clarky when he says "don't want to start a pissing contest.." WE DON'T! I adore my AxeII! But I have to say, when in combination with the VG-99, We're talking even MORE music power.

I rather not see Fractal get into the guitar building business. Let them do what they do best, electronics.
I would never expect FAS to want to get into building guitars either, but I'd bet a million dollars they could develop the best hex-pickup and 13-pin processor ever made! (and I'd love to see that happen!)

Usually, the guitar out to the front panel and the Roland VG-99 mains to the Input 2/FX Loop return.

I don't like the FX loop in the Axe. It is way too noisy. Tried it with several (quiet) pedals. But it is unusable to me. I have read this from other users as well. Apparently it is a flaw in the design. The noisy Fx loop can be fixed but than I have to send my Axe fx II to G66. Can't miss it right now.

I own a VG 99 and am very annoyed that Roland has not updated its software in years. The tones are so "digital" sounding compared to the axe fx. The only reason I bought it was to experiment with alternative tunings with ease however since the amp modeling sucks after playing with the axe it's become a paper weight.

However are you saying I can use the Axe in all its glory and use my cosm guitar?
I thought that was not possible because I needed to be directly plugged into the midi controller to change the string tunings? Or once I hook the VG 99 up to the axe fx this is possible?

Digital sounding compared to what? I real amp? Maybe. Guarantee I could fool you with stuff I've recorded. Only tone snobs would notice or even care to notice. Yes you can use the Axe in all its glory and use your COSM guitar as long as you don't think the COSM guitar models sound digital ;)

Yes you connect the VG-99 to the Axe Fx. Build presets with only COSM guitar enabled. Disable all rack effects, amps, and global effects if you choose....

Ok please tell me how or are there instructions elsewhere?

My digital comments were based on amp modeling and effects coming out of the VG 99 versus what I get from the axe fx 2 (even when I use a regular guitar versus cosm). Try heavy metal using only the VG 99 (it's horrible). I would love to try my cosm guitar while using the axe's modeling etc and shut the VG 99 off for that.

Do I plug directly into the VG 99 and use the axe as an fx loop? If I plug directly into the axe fx (and fx loop to the VG 99) I would no longer be able to use the cosm abilities on my guitar correct?

My main goal is to use kick ass Axe patches while being able to changing the tuning to anything I want with my cosm guitar.

Thanks sir. I also wasn't trying to be a hater. Was just an opinion.

Last edited:
how does that work exactly? Never used the SPDIF. When using the SPDIF out you always have the VG-99 at the at end of the signal chain? So first Axe fx and then VG-99?
I can imagine that it would be better to have it first in the chain because of the guitar modeling and alt tunings.

And where do you connect your guitar and the midi hex pickup cable?

You connect an RCA from the SPDIF out of VG into SPDIF IN of Axe and go to I/O of Axe FX and set Main INput Source to SPDIF/AES. Also, make sure SPDIF/AES Select is set to SPDIF. VG-99 needs to be on or Axe will tell you that clock source is missing.

No. VG-99 is in front of the signal chain just as a regular guitar would be. I would LOVE if cliff could somehow create an SPDIF insert Block so you could have main input regular guitar and utilize some of the VG-99's effects into parallel or series.

Back
Top Bottom