axe fx II Pitch block.

I found it to be a bit faster than on the Ultra (when set up correctly). could be wrong, but that was my first impression.

For tuning your guitar down (my main use for it), it is *incredibly* accurate when on harmony settings up to +/- 5 semitones or so. It is "only" *very* accurate at values higher than this. This is when playing big, all-string chords. Single notes, it really has few problems at any setting in my experience.

Doesnt track as fast as I wanted it to. Wanted to pull off a drop C tuning(1 octave down from where i was tuned). Sadly, it tracks slowly and feels fake.

What are you comparing to? No pitch shifter is perfect. I have found the axe-fx shift tracks better than my Eclipse and my Gforce (when I had it). I like the sound of the eclipse shifter for some things but I usually fall back to the Axe-fx becuase it is more stable and tracks better. you will not get it sounding real down an octave. The lower you take the pitch the higher the latency will be. Lower pitches take longer to detect than high pitches.

What are you comparing to? No pitch shifter is perfect. I have found the axe-fx shift tracks better than my Eclipse and my Gforce (when I had it). I like the sound of the eclipse shifter for some things but I usually fall back to the Axe-fx becuase it is more stable and tracks better. you will not get it sounding real down an octave. The lower you take the pitch the higher the latency will be. Lower pitches take longer to detect than high pitches.
+1 . I'd really like to know what Carydad is comparing the Axe to. the "perfect", "you don't hear it's a pitchshifter" simply does not exist, at least not in real time when going so low...

I didn't mess with the Axe2's shifter extensively.. but what I did do with it seemed pretty good - as in a lot better than most..

most pitch shifters really fall down when you go up an octave..
I thought the Axe2 was the best I'd heard in this area..
I really quite liked it...

the only unit I've ever seen that can change pitch really convincingly is the VG-99 [or something similar] with the hex pup and all the guitar modelling stuff...
this is the sort of unit that will re-tune your standard tuned guitar to anything.. DADGAD, open G, drop-D, down-D, banjo, 12-string, drop-C, bass, cello.. anything you care to invent....
but that's not comparing apples with apples cos it's a completely different technology and does not use a pitch shifter effect...

Perfect would be if I actually setup a guitar with heavier strings, and tuned it that low. Basically drop D, down another step (animal I have become). So I only want to go down a step. Single notes from the riff arent horrible, but anything more and it doesnt sit well. By that point I had already added it to patches thinking it was a keeper-I dont think it will cut it for a live song. It's only one song and we don't have to do it. So-I wasnt comparing it to anything other than reality, and looking for an easy workaround, so the singer can sing it, I can't swing the show without bringing another guitar etc. Chances are we'll just pass on the song. I do use the violin in some floyd stuff, and eleanor rigby. Have to be very careful picking, but it sounds really cool in the mix.

Perfect would be if I actually setup a guitar with heavier strings, and tuned it that low. Basically drop D, down another step (animal I have become). So I only want to go down a step. Single notes from the riff arent horrible, but anything more and it doesnt sit well. By that point I had already added it to patches thinking it was a keeper-I dont think it will cut it for a live song. It's only one song and we don't have to do it. So-I wasnt comparing it to anything other than reality, and looking for an easy workaround, so the singer can sing it, I can't swing the show without bringing another guitar etc. Chances are we'll just pass on the song. I do use the violin in some floyd stuff, and eleanor rigby. Have to be very careful picking, but it sounds really cool in the mix.

Are there any differences in how the MultiDly Plex Shift pitch shifter performs compared to the Pitch block?

Back
Top Bottom