Axe Fx II might not be for everyone

Rexgtr

Experienced
I love my Axe FX II + MFC101 since the day I bought it.
A friend heard my setup and later decided to get the same, here's where I don't think its for everyone.
He's had his Axe FXII and MFC101 for 6 months and hasn't figured out how to do anything more than scroll through the factory presets. I overheard his friend say to him "Hey, maybe that Hughes & Kettner amp would be better than that Axe FX you were complaining about?" He hasn't figured out how to edit the MFC or make/modify presets.

So I get it, he puffs way too much cannabis, absolute chronic and I think reading the manuals, downloading the necessary drivers, software,.. is likely all too overwhelming. He would rather turn on, light up and bake out, Maybe that's exactly why they call it "dope"?
I puff but very minimal.

The guy I bought my Axe FX II + MFC from sold it because he found it too confusing. LOL. So yeah, there's a learning curve. I know there are millions of guitarist that dream they could own one of these and they'd likely learn more in a few days then some would in a lifetime.

If your the kind of person to never read the manuals that come with your products then don’t buy an axe fx. Simple as that.
On a technical level it makes sense to me, my problem was just lacking the knowledge of guitar gear and I think that’s the fun bit to learn.

Haha I'm an avid smoker and got along with the axe just fine. I have a blast having a couple brews or bowls and then making new presets. Wildly fun.

In any case, I'm sure it comes more down to a mindset than whatever recreational drugs he/she uses. If you're not the type of person who will actually figure out how to use the $2500 tool you own, then that's on you. I spent years before I even owned the magic black box figuring it out... so I guess you could say I had a head start.

Cool story. I like the middle paragraph where you judge his lifestyle.
Out of interest, what is the correct cannabis/axe fx ratio in order to get full enjoyment from both?

I guess it could be interpreted as judging ones lifestyle but its not, I've toked up since I was 17, I'm 55 now and still do BUT I've always smoked little, a few times per week, if that, I lite a joint and smoke half, put it out. Meanwhile my chronic friend puffs a personal cigar sized doobie every 15 minutes, everyday.

Putting things in perspective:
He bought a used Ibanez RG550XH for $1200 and it had a broken truss rod, I informed him he should Google stuff before buying, they sell new for $630 CAD!
He paid more for a used Axe Fx II MK I on Reverb then it would've cost him to get a new Axe Fx II XL+ factory direct!
When I asked him if he got the XL+ he said he "didn't know?" I know for fact he thinks he's much smarter than I am by the way he often talks down to me.

I'm sure the higher the ticket price the higher the ratio of "Buyers Remorse"
When I first got my Axe FX II MK I, I experienced a little of this until I figured out how to tweak it. Most important was being able to get a clean preset, (by reducing Input Trim) High gain preset creation was a breeze

Cool story. I like the middle paragraph where you judge his lifestyle.
Out of interest, what is the correct cannabis/axe fx ratio in order to get full enjoyment from both?

Cool post. I like the middle sentence where you imply that simply calling something a "lifestyle choice," somehow magically grants it immunity from anybody being able to mention it in any negative context, ever, no matter how harmful it might be to the person doing it.

Last edited:
Hey now, let's get back on topic here.

Regarding OPs post, I think he needs a lesson in common sense. Do a little research before buying anything that expensive. I mean granted, the Axe FX absolutely holds its value and he can very easily make most (if not all) of his money back if he decides it isn't for him. I'm sure there are quite a few folks who lurk the FS board here and would love to pick up a lightly used Axe for less than retail.

Also, he doesn't sound like a very good friend. Is he the kind of "friend" that is only around due to mutual friends or the music scene around where you live?

When people buy simulators, many expect it to simulate the sound engineer as well. They see the Axe-Fx, but in their minds, it looks like this

axepedal.png

29 years ago I had my last experience with cannabis as I knew the Axe II would come and I needed all my brain power to chain amp,cab, reverb and delay together. :)

Seriously though, I believe many become overwhelmed with all the options available in multi efx processors because they think you have to use everything. If you have come from a background like me where you added effects pedals to an amp setup gradually, you find out what works and what don't. I can find sounds easily because I know what I'm looking for, on the other hand I can get lost in the matrix also when I start experimenting with things I'm less familiar with.

Learning to play the electric guitar entails more than just learning how to play some scales & chords. It encompasses a whole world of material to learn which can be broken down into quite a lot of areas. But, Gear covers one broad subject of them, and there’s only three reasons people don’t do something: don’t know, not willing or aren’t able.

and there’s only three reasons people don’t do something: don’t know, not willing or aren’t able.

Maybe they want just playing their guitar instead of turning knobs or scrolling through menus or reading manuals. There is something to say for that.

Also, he doesn't sound like a very good friend. Is he the kind of "friend" that is only around due to mutual friends or the music scene around where you live?

Yes, a majority of my friends have been ones that befriended me due to guitar skills. Many of the same guys bought guitars with Floyd Rose locking trems and never learned how to setup and maintain them, after a while I simply told them to take it to a music store. I have way too much on the back burner to be taking on more projects.

I don't smoke anymore, haven't in years, BUT, I will say, that as far as a "dialing" session goes ( I would say tweaking but that sounds like we're talking about meth), it was more fun (IMO) with pedals, and lots of physical knobs to twist etc. You can get to the same places, and then some, with the Axe, but your either sitting pressing buttons on the front panel, or your sitting starring at the PC screen.

There is a certain enjoy to sitting down on the floor, pedals and cables spread out all around you, twisting delay time knobs, adding modulation effects, stacking fuzzes etc. Doesn't usually end up with anything productive, but I sure spent many a hours back in my younger days, ingesting substances and doing just that.

Back
Top Bottom