Axe-FX II + Mesa Mark IV power = Seismic tones

This video is of an instrumental version of a song off of my band's new album. All guitars were recorded with an Axe-FX II with v12 firmware. The signal chain for rhythm guitars was an ESP NT-7 -> Duncan Distortion -> Axe FX-II (pre) -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV (power) -> Mesa traditional 4x12 -> SM57 -> API 3124 -> DIGI 192 I/O. All rhythm guitars were quad tracked and have virtually no post processing. Solos were recorded direct using the Ownhammer Mesa 4X12 IRs (and Clyde Deluxe Wah) and also have minimal post processing.

I've really come to love the Axe-FX + Mark IV combo. I've bought and sold a Mesa 2:90 and the Rectifier 2:100, but for whatever reason the Mark IV just seems to put the perfect amount of Boogie into the tone with perfect clarity. Now I just need one more....

sounds badass and I love 7 stringers with maple boards :)
what model are you using in the Axe?

sounds badass and I love 7 stringers with maple boards :)
what model are you using in the Axe?

The final product you're hearing ending up being the FAS 6160 v12 amp. I'd share, but the preset was specifically dialed in for using a Mark IV as a poweramp, and was tweaked quite a bit to suit the mic placement. The solos are the USA Pre Green direct through a custom blend of Ownhammer IRs. That shit cuts just like the real thing!

sounds awesome, do you have all 6L6's in your mark IV or El-34's on the outside pair?
I've also heard a lot of positive feedback on the Super distortion 7 bridge pickup.
I've got BK Holydivers in my BRJ 7, but I may try the SD in the bridge and see how it sounds.

Hey

Yeah you can not go wrong old Mark series Boogies ,they beat those modern rectifiers in my opinion. I have owned few mark series heads and they have sounds amazing ,and I have tested some rectifiers and in my ear they sounds little bit too modern for me. Mark series have that cream smooth quality for tone ,that is what I like a a lot. And if you have not try put simul-class mode on ,and replace El34 and 6L6 tubes there it will do very much for tone.

Last edited:
sounds awesome, do you have all 6L6's in your mark IV or El-34's on the outside pair?
I've also heard a lot of positive feedback on the Super distortion 7 bridge pickup.
I've got BK Holydivers in my BRJ 7, but I may try the SD in the bridge and see how it sounds.

I'm running the 6L6/EL34 combo (JJs). I've found that it tames the bottom end a bit. And I've tried various Dimarzios, EMGs, and a Bare Knuckle in this particular guitar, but nothing can touch the Duncan Distortion. It's attack and ferocity are unsurpassed in my travels.

Back
Top Bottom