Axe Fx II & Headphones - Optimal Ohms w/o headphone amp

I have went through most of the threads related to using the Axe FX II with headphones and I was hoping to attain some definitive answers from the community. I am looking at using my Axe FX II with headphones for late night practice only and I am wondering what is the optimal ohms for headphones without the use of a seperate headphone amp that matches up best with the Axe FX II.

Thanks

i have KRK kns-8400. i believe they are 36ohm and they are loud as shit (i have a nice headphone amp but dont use it)

So... umm.... how loud is shit? <grin>

I'm anxious to hear how the Beyerdynamics DT880s sound. They've been recommended so many times here in various threads and the reviews read great, so I bought a pair. I'll find out Wednesday this week.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, which have served me well, but they're falling apart. Started that early on, I might add. Not to dis Sennheiser, but the industrial design of these things is clearly substandard.

I bought the DT880 250 Ohm and 32 Ohm version. It's been about a year ago so I cannot recall the details, but I kept the 250s. They sounded better and, if I recall, the 32s had some buzz and sounded a bit flubby in comparison at higher volumes. I keep the output at 12 noon and with the 250s it's plenty loud.

Outside of the Axe Fx 2, the DT880s have been the best guitar related purchase I've made by far. Love 'em.

I have Audio Technical ATH-M30's. They work for me and I have taken them around the word and they never failed or broke.

It was a righteous $40 investment.

I'm anxious to hear how the Beyerdynamics DT880s sound.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, which have served me well, but they're falling apart. Started that early on, I might add. Not to dis Sennheiser, but the industrial design of these things is clearly substandard.

I had the HD280 and they fell apart on me too. I used them until they wouldn't stay on my head. The DT880 are open back and sound clearer. They are better built, more comfortable and are not as loud, which is welcome to me. I don't need to turn it up more than 1/2 way, no headphone amp and they get loud enough to hurt my ears. I suppose if you are in a loud environment such as recording with others playing in the room the open back might be drawback.

Not me. the 250 is plenty loud, don't need an amp.

I have the 250's as well and prefer to use them with a headphone amp- they sound better and respond a little better than without. I used them with the Axe for a while before buying a separate headphone amp and enjoyed them that way as well. Just found them to be a little better with an amp.. all IMHO of course. I think either (32 or 250) would work fine- what works better is subjective.

To the OP- you didn't ask specifically about the Beyers, although you'll notice a number of us posting here mention them. I find them DT880's to be better than anything else I tried at or under their price point. But they're not cheap. I don't know that you'll find definitive answers to your question though- rare that that happens on these types of things. I would suggest you buy from somewhere with a return policy or try them out in store before you purchase.

with a phone or portable player, you might need an amp to power the 250 to get really loud volumes but the axe is already a preamp and gets plenty loud. when i listen to music straight from a computer or something, the volume is pretty much maxed but when i listen through the axe or play guitar the output levels still dont need to go past noon. oh, and yeah, another +1 for the dt880.

Back
Top Bottom