Axe fx II... good enough for professional recordings?!

Yes. It is.
As long it's not me playing.

If the IR doesn't really cut it for you, get a power amp, a cab, mic it. But the axe makes workflow and is just the right tool in production environment.

Saved my ass over, and over, and over. Sometimes straight out into Tools, sometimes through a cab.

... you know how many valveheads I've converted? ;)

I LOVE my AXE for recording.
I'm not sure if I qualify as a "professional" or not, but I have made my living 100% in the music business for the last 25 years.
I like most genres of music, but I gravitate lately to the sound of classic hard rock.
Here's my latest recording and I shot a vid and posted it up on Youtube.
All guitars recorded with the Axe FX II:
Bill Leverty - Ace Bandage - YouTube

I'm a big fan of yours Mr. Bill Leverty! I have the entire FireHouse catalog :)

Can you please post your Ace Bandage patch in the Axe Change :)

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

I'm currently working as music arranger, composer and producer. I use my Axe2 direct to ProTools. Nothing more nothing less. Setting up mics for the cabs are a pain in the butt. And sometimes I can't even come close to the built in IRs of the Axe.

In my decidedly non-pro experience, the AxeFx sounds great for recording and is easier to record with than miking amps.

A slew of major label recordings were made with Pods. If a Fractal device doesn't sound good on a recording, it's not the modeler's fault.

In my decidedly non-pro experience, the AxeFx sounds great for recording and is easier to record with than miking amps.

A slew of major label recordings were made with Pods. If a Fractal device doesn't sound good on a recording, it's not the modeler's fault.

You can certainly experiment with different approaches faster.

I get paid to record with my Axe FX. When the mixing engineer does not know I went direct from the Axe, they think the recording engineer was a genious. Jes sayin'...

I LOVE my AXE for recording.
I'm not sure if I qualify as a "professional" or not, but I have made my living 100% in the music business for the last 25 years.
I like most genres of music, but I gravitate lately to the sound of classic hard rock.
Here's my latest recording and I shot a vid and posted it up on Youtube.
All guitars recorded with the Axe FX II:
Bill Leverty - Ace Bandage - YouTube
Dude I love this tune coolzz

Just a quick one to add here. I take the axe with me when I'm producing or engineering. I like the options.
Let's face it the band will show up with their roadworn *insert brand name here* amp and cab. 90% of the times it will be microphonic. hardware rattling, cones damaged and breaking up nastily.

Sometimes, when you are luckier, they'll bring a few amps. Usually, a great amp, and a few hybrid/dsp'ish/what have you re-issues.

Having the axe there is just SOOO flexible! I think it feels better than any other emulator (almost or exactly like an amp in most cases) and that enables the musician to see past the box.

on another hand, most mixes I get have DI (I usually request it). Have you ever received a feedback saying "I don't want it to sound like eric johnson but more like slash" and all you feel like saying is "well that's not what you plaid/recorded". So - axe is wired aes/ebu to my sound card and is a go to re-amp machine! no one even notices (or, they think I made miracles happen!)

Back
Top Bottom