Axe FX II for Studio Recording?

nikolaus daim

Hey guys,

i am new to this Forum and thinking about getting an Axe Fx. My goal is is to use it for high quality Studio Recordings. I got a Kemper and find it hard sometimes to find the right sound quality.( Maybe i am just too stupid:) If spending this much money i want to be able to record every kind of electric guitar sound like Rock,Metal but also clean sounds. I hope u guys can tell me about your experiences and if the Axe Fx is The Thing for high Studio quality. What about the AX8? Its seems much cheaper but is it also suited for Studio Recordings?

Thanks in advance for the help, really appreciate every information.,
Best regards
Nik

AX8 pros for recording: you don't need a footswitch to change things on the fly when recording.
cons: It is not an audio interface. You will need one.CPU limitations if you are wanting high quality reverb levels with many other effects.

AxeFxIII pros: it is an interface itself and can connect via USB to record to your computer. You can record 2 amps at simultaneously with gapless switching between amp models.
cons: You will need a footswitch to change things on the fly while recording unless you do a lot of midi programming or something. Cost ;)

I have recorded with both and they both sound great!
Let me know if you have further questions

AX8 pros for recording: you don't need a footswitch to change things on the fly when recording.
cons: It is not an audio interface. You will need one.CPU limitations if you are wanting high quality reverb levels with many other effects.

AxeFxIII pros: it is an interface itself and can connect via USB to record to your computer. You can record 2 amps at simultaneously with gapless switching between amp models.
cons: You will need a footswitch to change things on the fly while recording unless you do a lot of midi programming or something. Cost ;)

Thank you very much for your help.
So i have got a pretty good Audio Interface, the Apollo 8 quad. So the Axe 8 ould be the better choice then?
Are the sounds and possibilites the same with Axe8 and 3? Also is the Sound quality the same?

Thanks a lot

The AxeFx iii has way more processing power and the amp modeling is already pulling ahead from what the Ax8 and AxeFx 2 can do Cliff said, but they didn't start sounding bad just because a new one was announced. Really depends on your budget/what you want to do

Ok thanks a lot, so the only difference between Axe 2 and Ax8 is that Axe 2 acts as an audio interface?
Also i would like to ask how difficult it is to get to a nice sound suited for Studio recoprding? are there Presets or something?
thanks again

And only 1 amp block and less cpu and no harmonic tremolo on ax8 - but the included fractal presets are great, austinbuddy's presets are also a great starting point you can purchase if you need help dialing in amps.

The Axe FX is great in the studio.
Yes, you will get great modern tones for all guitar music genres. However, I'm under the impression that the axe is not that suited for very vintage tones or "Garage" sounding stuff, which is a flavour producers may want sometimes. It sounds like top of the line modern stuff. But maybe all you need is a dedicated IR and to play with the settings to get there...

In a studio, you don't really need foot controls, you have axe edit to edit all your stuff. It's really easy to reamp with the Axe. But of course, having a VST, such is the HELIX native, is a lot more comfortable to work with in the daw. Axe FX won't let you listen to the mix, while you reamp, unless you do somehting clever with routing with your current audio interface. Likely, that won't be an issue with Axe FX 3, as there are more virtual INs and outs.

Other benefits for the studio:
You don't need a loud cab or to mic anything. It's basically plug and play. Unless you want to capture your own IR's, which it can do. You can probably use those IR's for anything else. Like, if you have a direct signal of a real tube amp, you can add a cab IR on it....
You don't need to reamp boxes or anything. You can record dry and wet tracks at the same time, just using the axe FX...

The axe FX 2 was used in quite a few popular albums for bands such as Devin Townsend, Deftones, Periphery, Animals as leaders.... Must admit, i don't know any albums that were recorded outside of metal... anyone?

Sidenote: The AX8 having only one amp block shouldn't be an issue at all in the studio. Simply reamp twice, with a different amp block and mix in daw. Basically, all Axe FX 2 pros over AX8 is just convenience, i think...

I recorded the entire Supernal Endgame album Touch The Sky Volume II (10T Records). Only the acoustic tracks were recorded by mic in the room. All other guitar tracks were done with an Ultra (the album was released in 2014). There are many YouTube videos you can listen to. Just search for Supernal Endgame. I suggest a few songs such as Different Stage, Eden Song or The End Game for examples of the various guitar tones I got with the Ultra. The XL+ is a big improvement over the Ultra and the III is a big improvement over the XL+.

Does the AxeFx 3 support 44Khz as an audio interface?? I believe the previous AxeFx 2 only supports 48 Khz which is a huge problem for me with my setup. And I'm not the only one, many people have complained about this. I can't understand why in the world they did not support 44 Khz. Anyway, for the Axe 3 to be a fully viable audio interface it must have a 44 KHz option.

Back
Top Bottom