Axe FX II for Stereo?

cody.carrig

How can I put my guitar in Stereo using the Axe FX II? My rack would be the Axe and then a Marshall Stereo 50/50 power amp, but would I have to set the Axe FX to have two seperate amps in the chain? Thank you very much.

Stereo like in two speakers ?? :)

Connect the AXE with the amp with cable from left and right. WOOP - done!

The stereo sound(i ex. panning delay, chorus) comes from the setting up effects the right way. A lot more is learned from the WIKI. And from trying out other peoples patches and getting inspiration from them. Axechange. Try a search for YEK s patches.

AAEN

you'd only need 2 separate amps in the chain if you want two seperate amp types in stereo- so a marshall left and a mesa right...

running stuff like delay in stereo is hella easy
run the axe's LR into each channel of the marshall then speaker cables into 2 cabs or 2 speaker cables into one cab (if its a stereo cab and you want to do it that way)

i think you're overthinking it- its easy - i'd also experiment with headphones first to get the stereo sound you want then plug it into a stereo power amp and its the same/youre set

Ditto to what has already been said.

Plugging it up in stereo is easy but you'll probably get confused when making presets in a stereo steup unless you really understand the mono vs stereo blocks and some of the settings within blocks that affect the stereo image. For example, AMP blocks are mono but can be panned in the stereo field. If it's followed by a CAB with one mono-hi/lo res cab in it, that stereo signal coming out of the amp is summed to mono... and then the image can be changed in the cab block using pan or the room settings.

Work with it a bit with headphones as @Jeries said. That will give you the widest stereo spread. 2 real cabs in stereo can play some really strange games with your perception due to phase cancellation and separation if they are too close together.

Hi Cody - not exactly sure what you mean by how can it "put you guitar in stereo" as the Axe FX unit typically places most incoming signals into a stereo sonic image...but I'm currently running the unit into a mesa 50/50 tube power amp and right out of the amp into a 2x12 Avatar cabinet with V30's wired for stereo...one speaker dedicated to each side of the stereo chain. Mic'd with a pair of SM57s through the pres of my Topaz console into a FF800 to DAW. I love the tones I get with this setup equally to going direct with the Axe fx albeit, you'll have much more flexibility with respect to variety of tones going direct as the cab/mics/pres, etc option all have their own sonic signature which they impart on any signal. So, YES - it absolutely can be done! Just remember to go to Global Settings and bypass the cab sim when you go through an external cab... :) I hope this helps!

Dave

you'd only need 2 separate amps in the chain if you want two seperate amp types in stereo- so a marshall left and a mesa right...

Not True AFAIK.

If you want to preserve a stereo signal through an amp, eg chorus or phaser for example, you need two amps with the exact same settings as the amp block can only process in mono.

I'd love for someone to correct me on this as IMO it's one of the few limitations of this box. Setting up this kind of chain is a right royal PITA, especially as you can't copy settings from one block instance to another or load global settings from one block instance to another. Same goes for drive blocks.

I know the amps that are modelled are inherently mono but, as well as doing the above, I like to use the Axe for general mixing duties (such as putting a drum submix through it) and oh how I wish there was an easier way to get amp or drive blocks working to preserve the stereo image. I'd love for the ability to get DRV/AMP1 in stereo in a patch even if it meant the loss of DRV/AMP2 (for that particular patch).

Not True AFAIK.

If you want to preserve a stereo signal through an amp, eg chorus or phaser for example, you need two amps with the exact same settings as the amp block can only process in mono.

I'd love for someone to correct me on this as IMO it's one of the few limitations of this box. Setting up this kind of chain is a right royal PITA, especially as you can't copy settings from one block instance to another or load global settings from one block instance to another. Same goes for drive blocks.

I know the amps that are modelled are inherently mono but, as well as doing the above, I like to use the Axe for general mixing duties (such as putting a drum submix through it) and oh how I wish there was an easier way to get amp or drive blocks working to preserve the stereo image. I'd love for the ability to get DRV/AMP1 in stereo in a patch even if it meant the loss of DRV/AMP2 (for that particular patch).
I don't really see a problem with that. You mentioned a solution to your problem already (simply use 2 amp blocks instead of one) ...
And yes, you could argue that there should be a stereo-'both-channels-are-the-same'-AMP setting, but seriously, I think you are one of two people in this world that would ever need this ;)

However, I agree on the copy feature. Especially when you want to use spillover effectively, you sometimes want to copy a DLY 1 to a DLY 2 with same settings...
Then again, that's what AXE-EDIT is for... so I don't see a problem with this either (well, as soon as AXE-EDIT 2 is released).

Not True AFAIK.

effects placed before the amp are mono (this is true in the real amp world two) effects placed after the amp can be stereo

effects placed before the amp are mono (this is true in the real amp world two) effects placed after the amp can be stereo

Fx placed before the amp can be stereo. It's just that you would need to go into two separate amp blocks. AFAIK.

Fx placed before the amp can be stereo. It's just that you would need to go into two separate amp blocks. AFAIK.

I know that. Point of my post was to say thought that two amps is not required to have a stereo patch like the poster I responded to said. If you insist on wanting stereo effects before the amp then yes two amps are a must

Ahh the "n00b question" syndrome. Post a question and even though 1 minute later someone replies... Never come back to the thread.

Instead post the same question a few months later. :)

Back
Top Bottom