AXE FX II firmware update problem

Pilgrim66

UPDATE (so you don't read everything unnecessarily): Thanks to all for your suggestions. As it turns out my Vista-running machine did not have Sevice Pack 2 installed. On a whim I checked Windows Update and installed SP 2. Viola! Firmware installed perfectly.

It might be good to remind the "slow" users among us (like myself!) to make sure their machines are up to date.

Thanks again!

Original post follows:

Any advice would be appreciated. I've tried it several times with the same results.

> Unzipped 2.0 update and placed it on desktop
> Went into Axe Edit's dropdown menu found file
> Went to Axe II utility menu to firmware update
> Clicked enter on Axe II it showed "Awaiting File"
> clicked "Update" on Axe Edit

Took about 2 minutes to transfer file > bar increased to 100%

> Axe Edit said "Firmware Unchaged" 1.05
> Axe II said "Transfer Error"

I'm running Windows Vista and the two seem to be talking fine.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:
Have you tried MIDIOX?
Or do you have, or can you barrow a different midi interface from a friend?
What interface are you using now?

In Axe Edit have you tried increasing the midi buffer size? Bump it up to 512 to try to upgrade the firmware if that works return back to 256 for everyday use.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've tried it several times with the same results.

> Unzipped 2.0 update and placed it on desktop
> Went into Axe Edit's dropdown menu found file
> Went to Axe II utility menu to firmware update
> Clicked enter on Axe II it showed "Awaiting File"
> clicked "Update" on Axe Edit

Took about 2 minutes to transfer file > bar increased to 100%

> Axe Edit said "Firmware Unchaged" 1.05
> Axe II said "Transfer Error"

I'm running Windows Vista and the two seem to be talking fine.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Dan

Redownload the firmware 2.0c
Try it again.

Thanks so much for the replies! I am a new Axe user and jumped in with the Axe II.

> I've redownloaded 2.0c a couple of times. Do I need to perhaps do 2.0 first?
> I have not tried any other piece of hardware to do this as I thought it wasn't needed with the USB capabilities.
> Increase buffer size? I've not done this and am not sure how to do it.

How do I increase buffer size? Any other thoughts? Is it common to have this trouble?

Thanks again!

Dan

Midiox? The II has usb - its ultra fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but his issue is loading the new firmware.
If he has to load it through an interface like a Midi-sport so be it, just to get it running.
As for MidiOX even if the AF II is running USB the MidiOX program will treat it as another midi port

With Windows 7 64bit, I started by re-loading the AxeII USB drivers, just in case :)

Then I used Midi Ox to send the sysx file to the AxeII USB no problems.

I followed the suggestions in the firmware readme to setup Midi Ox buffers etc. I left the time between packets at 60 even though the readme did say 20 would speed things up if using USB.

I still use a Midisport to flash my MFC, so I wanted to keep the Midi Ox settings the same for both.

I did not try AxeEdit though.

Richard

@Pilgrim66,
I have used AxeEdit to upgrade every firmware on my Axe-II over USB, and on my Ultra before that using UNO or Midisport 2x2 without a single issue (except one - which was a corrupt build) in Win7x64.
That's a not-insignificant number of release and beta firmware versions that have been loaded - both upgrading to a new one and downgrading back to a "working" version.
That is the one part of AxeEdit that I have found to be VERY stable.
I would suggest that the "feedback" portion of the upgrade may have failed...meaning that AxeEdit is still waiting on something. I HAVE seen the Axe freeze at about 100% of its Verification process... this however usually indicates a complete status.. Look on the axe screen to see if that is the case.
If that happens. Kill AxeEdit.
Powercycle the Axe from the front panel, then use the Utility menu and Page over to the firmware version.
If it shows the correct one (the one you just upgraded to) then you are all set. Start AxeEdit.
If not, REDO the upgrade. It will not hurt.

How do I increase buffer size? Any other thoughts? Is it common to have this trouble?
To answer that question, open Axe Edit go to settings and go to audio/midi settings. You will see this screen (attached) make sure your midi ports are set correctly as you can see mine is not attached to anything right now and of course you can change the buffer settings from here if needed.

John

NewPicture.jpg

Back
Top Bottom