Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.06 Released

Cliff thank you so much for the LFO reset for the flange and phase blocks. Do you think it could possibly be added to the tremolo block eventually?

Added Tap Tempo mode option to Global menu. “Average” averages up to the last ten taps. “Last Two” uses only the most recent two taps to determine the tempo.

Added Ducking capability to Quad Tape Delay mode in Multidelay block.

Added “LFO Bypass Reset” parameter to Flanger and Phaser blocks. When set to other than “Off” the LFO will be reset to the selected phase whenever the block is bypassed. This allows synchronizing the sweep to the engagement of the effect.

Added “Rich Hall” type to Reverb block.

Removed Update Amps All Presets utility because the majority of users don’t seem to grasp the purpose of this function.

Thank you so much.
Cheers & keep on rocking !

Yeah, I actually was using Vintage on a couple of presets that I was having a hard time with otherwise. If there is a penalty to keeping it, fine, but...I'd love to keep it as an option.
I take it back. After playing with these two, I'm convinced what I need is there with just the two preamp tube types. Like the new short plate version quite a bit better than the old Modern. Nicely done! And thanks again for the "Last Two" option. I've needed that for a long time. Oh, one other thing: the papery fizz that I've complained about on some of my amps is pretty much gone now. Not sure what you did there, but I'm mighty grateful!!

Cliff tx a lot for the update. Only one favor to ask. Pls g3 the Jazz120 in nxt update.

I am not sure how much the Jazz Chorus 120 will benefit from G3 as its not a tube amp .I am sure it will sound better but i don't think it will be drastic like a Recto or Plexis

Improved power tube grid conduction modeling. This yields better dynamics and edge-of-breakup tones, particularly when the virtual power amp is being overdriven.

This seems to be an area that is being actively worked over the various firmware versions and yielding positive improvements. I've read in tube-nerd books and websites that a DC coupled PI driving the power amp tubes can drive the grids positive (and sink/source current) without the clamping that occurs when there is a capacitor inline, and that DC drive adds a desirable effect/quality to the distortion character. I've not heard, nor played, an amp with a circuit like that and am curious if FAS has ever experimented with that type of circuit? Would that make for a worthwhile custom FAS amp type?

...and thanks for the update, always appreciated.

I was really hoping these amps would be G3’d by now. I figured the Hiwatt and Super Reverb would have been among those first on the list to be G3’d.

Hipower Jumped

Supremo Trem

Super 6G4

Super Verb

Vibra-King

Brit Pre

I was surprised they removed the vintage preamp tube choice. I just spent the last few days changing all my amps over to the new vintage preamp tube selection. It sounded best of the three to me, followed by the Longplate. I didn’t like modern that much.

I was also surprised to see the update all amps and presets function (and the reason for it being removed). Is that function not necessary any more?

I’ve noticed recently there was a scratchy sound mainly on the attack of notes that I hadn’t heard before and I could not dial out. I see in the notes for 18.06 “Fixed excessive phase inverter bias in some amp models resulting in fuzzy sound”. I hope that fixed that scratchy sound on the attack of notes I’ve been hearing. I’ll install the newest firmware and check it out tomorrow.

Upgraded to 18.06 tonight. Wow! I just keep loving this magic AxeFX gizmo more with every update. Well done, Fractal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had some time to kill this morning so I installed v18.06 and played for a bit. I had intended to go through a few of the recently G3'd amps, give the Rich Hall reverb a go, and play with the LFO bypass reset feature.

None of that happened though. After the update was finished and the AxeFX had been power cycled I verified that all was working before moving on from whatever preset was loaded ('Plexi 100', factory preset #9 if I recall correctly). This sounded SO FREAKIN GREAT that I just kept playing and playing, and I had no interest in moving on from that amp at the presets settings. I'm assuming the improved power tube grid conduction modeling is responsible for the improvements I'm hearing/feeling in this amp (I'll forego the hyperbole and just say that whatever has changed it is a marked improvement from what was already amazing.

After a short while I did switch preamp tube type to 'Long Plate' and I found, once again, that I generally prefer this to the Short Plate (AKA Modern from 18.04).

I also decided to play with the Cab Pack 10 IR's - these really are an improvement in clarity and character over prior Cab Packs, the TAF IR's, and Ownhammer's UltraRes IR's. I do hope the 3rd party IR producers eventually adopt Fractal Audio's Mic+D.I. approach - the results really do speak for themselves. These are far and away the best sounding speaker/cab IR's produced to date IMO. I kept the same preset and previewed just about every Cab Pack 10 IR's (save for the back of cab IR's. Playing a big iron Plexi through a 1x10 Princeton combo enclosure sounded fantastic, as did the 1x12 Ampeg, 1x12 G12T cab, the Bassman 4x10 enclosure, others.

I did switch to the Rich Hall reverb (high quality mode) before I quit - NICE!

Thanks Cliff for another amazing update!

There were a couple bugs as well as some improvements. IMHO this is the finest firmware we've ever produced. The new grid conduction modeling makes things "juicier".

Cliff, I just want you know how I'm proud to be "part" of the "Axe Project".
Sometime I think about the peoples that were debating about the price of your Magic Box.
At that time mine was fw9... and I answered at some of that posts talking about the quality of the components and processors, the number of amps and the top notch standing of the sounds.
Now we are at a x2 factor and over of the firmware, with - in between - Ultra Res IRs and an all new modeling technology...
Well ... now I think that my answer should be: You not only have the best guitar gear in the history of the guitar sound... With the Axe you are part of an evolving project of the best brilliant mind ever and the best team working on that concept!
And there is no price that can pay all this hard work!
TNX from the deep of my hart!

Cliff thank you so much for the LFO reset for the flange and phase blocks. Do you think it could possibly be added to the tremolo block eventually?

It's the Start Phase parameter.

Back
Top Bottom