Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Released

I don't think you understood me correctly. My old presets sound fine. When I make a new preset with this latest firmware, it sounds distorted and bad. Try the 65Bassman or the Double Verb. Just put them into a fresh preset and strum a chord. They sound bad right off the bat. Excessively distorted for some reason. I would've thought the defaults would not be dialed in to sound this bad. I am disappointed.

Yeah man, somethings not right with your set up those same apps are super super clean going through my rig. Everything sounds fantastic as always no major changes like what you're describing.

I don't think you understood me correctly. My old presets sound fine. When I make a new preset with this latest firmware, it sounds distorted and bad. Try the 65Bassman or the Double Verb. Just put them into a fresh preset and strum a chord. They sound bad right off the bat. Excessively distorted for some reason. I would've thought the defaults would not be dialed in to sound this bad. I am disappointed.

Matter of taste surely. Have you ever been in a room with a Bassman dimed? That's what it sound like. Turn it down if you don't like it; that's kind of the point. Think of it as an educational tool.

This FW15 sounds killer - just uploaded it and reset all my patches - sounds great out of the box, I'll have to do so minor tweaking but that's it.

The defaults aren't "dialed in". They are matched to the real amps. If you don't like the default settings you wouldn't like the amp on those settings either. FWIW, the Double Verb is very clean here at default settings.

Right. I figured it out. The firmware seemed to reset my Input 1 mode. I had it set to L+R sum. But it is now set to Left Only. With Left Only, the default settings on many amps are extremely distorted. Like the input signal is being jacked up a few notches. I don't recall this being the case with FW14. Can Fractal investigate (on Monday of course!) ;)

Here is a clip....
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...FX II/Left only first then L and R sum.wav?dl

Right. I figured it out. The firmware seemed to reset my Input 1 mode. I had it set to L+R sum. But it is now set to Left Only. With Left Only, the default settings on many amps are extremely distorted. Like the input signal is being jacked up a few notches. I don't recall this being the case with FW14. Can Fractal investigate (on Monday of course!) ;)

Here is a clip....
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...FX II/Left only first then L and R sum.wav?dl

Left Only is the default value and is the correct setting when using only the front input. This doesn't make any sense though since it's a global setting and would affect your old presets as well.

Left Only is the default value and is the correct setting when using only the front input. This doesn't make any sense though since it's a global setting and would affect your old presets as well.

Old presets must've had some different values that I didn't catch then I reckon. The reason I'm using L+R Sum is because I'm not always using the unit direct. Sometimes I'm doing 4-cable-method as well, and L+R sum seemed to help with excessive noise in that setup, so I just left it at that and dialed in my direct patches accordingly.

I didn't know the firmware would change the setting that the user had been using. I think what he said, when I slowed down and read his report, was that he usually ran his input as L+R, and now, after the firmware upgrade, it has reverted to default Left only.

And, I believe, that the left only setting sends a hotter signal into the grid than using the L+R setting and using a guitar input. Therefore, with setting set to Left Only, he is hitting the front end of his presets harder and the amps sound more overdriven than he is accustomed to.

But going forward, he should use the Left only setting, and set up his presets to suit his taste, based on that input mode, not on L+R. I don't think he would be able to tickle the red in L+R mode, when using a mono input on the front.

I didn't know the firmware would change the setting that the user had been using. I think what he said, when I slowed down and read his report, was that he usually ran his input as L+R, and now, after the firmware upgrade, it has reverted to default Left only.

And, I believe, that the left only setting sends a hotter signal into the grid than using the L+R setting and using a guitar input. Therefore, with setting set to Left Only, he is hitting the front end of his presets harder and the amps sound more overdriven than he is accustomed to.

But going forward, he should use the Left only setting, and set up his presets to suit his taste, based on that input mode, not on L+R. I don't think he would be able to tickle the red in L+R mode, when using a mono input on the front.

Firmware can't change the setting.

Just got my Axe XL and installed it. I come from the Ultra so the difference is abysmal really the Axe II changes tone a lot

To All,

What does it mean to 'reset'. Are you resetting a block (i.e. amp) or the preset. For that matter some members have said 'unselect' and 'reselect'. I don't seem to find an explanation of this on the wiki. What am I missing?

Cheers, Mike

Ive just played over 2 hours setting up my 1st 5 patches...

Just.... Wow.

I don't know how it gets better, but it does. :eagerness:

To All,

What does it mean to 'reset'. Are you resetting a block (i.e. amp) or the preset. For that matter some members have said 'unselect' and 'reselect'. I don't seem to find an explanation of this on the wiki. What am I missing?

Cheers, Mike

please. read the release notes.

Yes. y = mx + b. b = -1.11. m = 1.11. x = amp knob value. y = Axe-Fx value.

woah woah woah, math has NOTHING to do with making my guitar go "jug jugga jug."

To All,

Cheers, Mike
means to select the current model you're on, move one higher or lower (to a different model) and move back to the one you were on previously. this resets the model.
if you do a search for "reset amp model" on here, you'll find plenty of information.

I had to drop Fern the MaxxFly off for service on Monday... she was eating batteries like I was leaving the cable plugged in all the time. Bad timing... :(

But I still have my ol’ Steinberger. I spent a couple hours with 15 and the updated presets today; I'm pretty much out of superlatives to describe how much I appreciate the ceaseless devotion of Cliff and the Fractal team. Thank you, thank you, thank you! There are none more dedicated.

It seems to me the volume drop when the SAT is engaged is pretty drastic. I know it is what a real amp does but I do not remember it being that much of a volume decrease when engaged on my amps. I have a couple of patches that use scenes where the SAT is on or off depending on how much gain I need and it killed them...

Back
Top Bottom