Axe-FX II DAW plugin?

NY Guitarist

Power User
I just don't play live at all anymore and have a very high end audio interface already. I don't want/need anymore hardware, but I really like what Axe-FX is capable or doing.

Are there other Axe-Fx users or potential users that would like to see a plug-in version?

While I'm not a fan of iLok cp I have other software (including Pro Tools) that uses it, an iLok version of Axe FX II would be amazing and would greatly expand the user base. Of course that is and different beast for sure as support issues would be more frequent.

I would pay up to the $600 range for a plugin.

If axe-fx becomes a vxt then cliff will lose his company to piracy. Even ilok has been cracked. It would be the worst idea in start up business history to release something like that.

Thanks for the response.

iLok was around for many years before it got cracked. iLok 2 is now the shipping version.

Digidesign, who for their entire history required that you buy their hardware to run their software, recently introduced Pro Tools 9 as a software only option that uses iLok2 copy protection.

But I totally understand what you are saying. Maybe you're right and it's too risky.

My question is more an inquiry into how many people would actually want this and buy it?

Last edited:
If axe-fx becomes a vxt then cliff will lose his company to piracy. Even ilok has been cracked. It would be the worst idea in start up business history to release something like that.
it seems these days everything gets Kraked, unless Fractal has some hardware solution to avoid piracy, but it would be nice to have it in the studio, and on a laptop while touring for a backup etc, and just use the Axe FX live; i'd buy it.

I'm pretty sure logic 9 is cracked too. For that matter, I'm unaware of any program that hasn't been cracked. Vxt axe-fx would also depend too heavily on your interface and computer performance. Most plugins are not as good as their hardware counter parts either.

I'm pretty sure logic 9 is cracked too. For that matter, I'm unaware of any program that hasn't been cracked. Vxt axe-fx would also depend too heavily on your interface and computer performance. Most plugins are not as good as their hardware counter parts either.

Logic 9 is a serial number only. When you say vxt, do you mean VST? I'm on Mac systems that use RTAS or Audio Units.

As far as computing power, interfaces, that's sort of my point. Using Axe-FX as a plugin with your computer and interface.

And as far as hardware/software, you do realize that Axe-FX is software loaded onto hardware which becomes firmware? It's running on a dedicated computer, thats all. Axe-FX is already software.

I realize there are probably a lot of people who want to use this only as a guitar device for live playing or recording through the box into a DAW, but my question is meant more for folks who do a lot of recording and don't need any more I/O.

The idea of a plugin version appeals to me for all the same reasons any other plugin does. I already have POD Platinum 2.0, Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube, but the Axe-Fx stuff from what I can tell is far superior.

Even Line6 POD Farm Platinum 2.5 has been cracked recently and it needed a POD hardware unit to authorize! It would be a very bad idea to "softize" the AXE FX. Even the Axe FX standard ;)

Even Line6 POD Farm Platinum 2.5

I didn't realize it was updated to 2.5, apparently only a week ago. Thanks!

Until PC's have enough horsepower to run the algorithms in the Axe its a moot point.

They definitely have enough power right now.

Again... I wasn't trying to discuss copy protection, piracy or business models. I guess we'll let this fall off the radar.

Last edited:
I just don't play live at all anymore and have a very high end audio interface already. I don't want/need anymore hardware, but I really like what Axe-FX is capable or doing.

Are there other Axe-Fx users or potential users that would like to see a plug-in version?

While I'm not a fan of iLok cp I have other software (including Pro Tools) that uses it, an iLok version of Axe FX II would be amazing and would greatly expand the user base. Of course that is and different beast for sure as support issues would be more frequent.

I would pay up to the $600 range for a plugin.

Axe II with usb is better than a plugin ..... and I see alot of plugins with alot less effects selling for more than $600 ? I'm pretty sure we will see a plugin release on the day that Axe-II has sold 10 million units!!!!! LOL

IIRC Axe-PC - never happened.. (search the forum), nor would I expect a resurrection.

I didn't realize it was updated to 2.5, apparently only a week ago. Thanks!

They definitely have enough power right now.

Again... I wasn't trying to discuss copy protection, piracy or business models. I guess we'll let this fall off the radar.
No they don't. Cliff has already said that the port kind of died because the CPU's just wouldn't run the algorythms well enough. A dedicated and specialized DSP processes differently than a generic CPU that is running an OS and a bunch of other crap already. It's a matter of latency from what I understand.

But I also agree that if he put it in VST form it would be cracked in a week or less. Plus he doesn't have the customer support staff to handle the 8 million trouble tickets he'd receive everyday trying to troubleshoot 8 million different computer configurations via email or telephone. By keeping it all in hardware that he knows works he reduces the amount of problems to almost nill.

I know it is heresy to say this here but if you are looking at going pure software route: Look at Revalver III.V, it's tone and tweakability are Fractal-class, IMHO. *Quantity* of models is nowhere near close to Axe and it is missing tons in the FX department but it has a built-in VST host capability so you can chain ANY number of VST FX in-line with it (the POD Farm elements stuff works great with it). So, it's not a drop-in but really, the quality is there and the tweakability of the models is crazy awesome.

Really, Fractal doesn't need to be the company that trail blazes on the VST side like they have on the hardware, IMHO, unless you just have crazy brand loyalty.

Last edited:
Yeah I was on the beta team for ReValver and Michael did a fantastic job incorporating all of the suggestions and it's a shame that Peavey didn't promote it as well as it could have because it really is a solid and extremely good product. It was my first introduction into IR's which is what sold me on the AxeFX in the first place. The VST market is flooded with a ton of products though and with piracy concerns I don't see an upside for FA going that route. I mean if someone really wants 'the best' than they will find a way to afford an AxeFX. Hell, it's less than the cost of one really good tube amp and you get SO much more. I know that at $2200 people don't see the value at first, but it really is a bargain for what you get in terms of capabilities and quality.

And as much as I liked ReValver you notice that I didn't stick with it as a solution. It's the closest that I've seen to the AxeFX in the plug in world, but there's something to be said for being able to take your rack somewhere without hauling a computer around, not having to worry about it crashing and the ability to have your computer just sit there and record while all the heavy lifting is done outside of it.

Steve Slate Drums is not cracked. And not crackable. The sound sample files are digitally watermarked, so that if someone uploads it to a torrent site, it will be traceable back the owner, so no one is willing to risk it. Not sure if something like this is possible for Axe-PC, but it seems the best idea I've heard so far.

Last edited:
The UAD plugins have never been compromised. It would be great to see a collaboration between Universal Audio and Fractal. They are two of my favorite companies.

The question in my mind is if their cards would be powerful enough to run such a plugin and if so and if, for example, it took an entire Quad to run, would there be enough market appeal?

The UAD plugins have never been compromised. It would be great to see a collaboration between Universal Audio and Fractal. They are two of my favorite companies.

The question in my mind is if their cards would be powerful enough to run such a plugin and if so and if, for example, it took an entire Quad to run, would there be enough market appeal?

Right, well UAD plugins needs their hardware to run so I can't see that being cracked. That would be an interesting idea, but maybe not very cost effective?

Cliff mentioned he talked to UA on a thread a while back but I don't know what the result was. I would buy a UAD card just to run Axe-pc.

Cliff mentioned he talked to UA on a thread a while back but I don't know what the result was. I would buy a UAD card just to run Axe-pc.

If it ran on the "solo" I'd consider it. That's $349. Any higher requirement just would put it too close to the price of a real unit after the plugin cost on top of the UAD card.

Back
Top Bottom