Axe-FX II clip - Killswitch Engage cover (Blackmachine/Bare Knuckle content)

what's with the "obligation" to share patches? i look at the recordings section as a showcase for what the axe-fx can do -- it's not a prerequisite for all patches to be shared or else face the hammer of retribution.

anyway - this recording has a very good guitar sound for that style.

He's self centered because he doesn't want to share a patch? What the hell are you talking about?
Nolly one of the most helpful, eager to share people that posts here and other boards and you guys are totally out of line with you comments.

By him NOT sharing the patch initially makes your statement kind of-wrong. (I know he has now) Don't ya think. Some folks who like that type of music (I'm not one of them) got a bit excited about the sound and assumed , as normal for this forum, all they have to do is request the patch that they were asked to listen to. And after all this crap-he posts it and he says it's nothing special? How did it go from "keeping to myself" to nothing special? If it was nothing special, well,...................Forum lawyers-amazing.
Just amazing.

Wow guys. This didn't need to get to this point. A guy posted a clip and didn't want to share. I gave him a little crap and made a few points. He was cool and posted the info and the cab info etc. It's a guitar patch and not worth an internet fight. I just thought it was a bit silly to treat a guitar patch like the secret Coke recipe. He was cool in his rebuttal and really no need to keep the poop flinging. We aren't a mob of angry monkeys..........are we? :)

breathe,
Steve

ps thanks for posting the patch and info. It does sound great!

Again, what the hell are you talking about? Nobody ever talked about selling presets to make money, stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

Really? Read the post below, since you missed it the first couple times through, huh??

Tell you what Steve, I'll capitulate on this one because you are right that the same patch will not sound the same with a different player in a different mix. I do however earn money through selling presets, though not for Axe-FX, but that's an argument I have no interest in pursuing.

@ VegasGuitar: Sorry to interfere with your mud-slinging but Nolly just shared the patch FOR FREE...

Regardless, my point remains valid. Feel free to interrupt as you believe you need ......

Wow guys. This didn't need to get to this point. A guy posted a clip and didn't want to share. I gave him a little crap and made a few points. He was cool and posted the info and the cab info etc. It's a guitar patch and not worth an internet fight. I just thought it was a bit silly to treat a guitar patch like the secret Coke recipe. He was cool in his rebuttal and really no need to keep the poop flinging. We aren't a mob of angry monkeys..........are we? :)

breathe,
Steve
ps thanks for posting the patch and info. It does sound great!

Steve-I don't think it did get out of hand. Just different views.
But, I really think this is\ok was, more about the answer. I'll be keeping it for professional use? What are we, chop liver. Point being, we are all in this journey that is FAS together(I like to think) So just trying to wrap my head around why if someone asks nicely you wouldn't want to share something as silly as a patch? Personally, I would be honored\humbled if folks used any patches I created-but Just me I guess.

.... I would be honored\humbled if folks used any patches I created-but Just me I guess.

No, it isn't just you. I think it is high praise to ask another for a preset. It means you like the sound it creares, recognize that presets aren't easy to make, and that someone has made something that another finds valuable. If I ask for a preset/patch it means I like it and respect the effort the maker gave to it. It is a compliment to the artist; and not all guitarists earn that descriptor.

I very rarely get embroiled in internet arguments, or even encounter negativity in the threads that I post in. So yes, this exchange has kept me awake tonight - rather inopportune given that I am heading to the airport in a matter of a couple of hours.

Many thanks for the support from those that have posted on my behalf, sincerely.
Steve/Guittarzzan, I'm glad to read your latest comment, there is no beef between us. :)

To Stratman68 and VegasGuitar - who said that sharing a patch is the only way to be helpful and contribute to the community? If anyone had asked ANY question about the patch or the mix in general I would have been more than happy to discuss what I've done and provide explanations behind why. To my mind at least that is a far more useful way to gain relevant and usable information than just receiving a preset with no instructions or explanation. Now I'm still learning my craft, but receiving help and advice from those with knowledge is how I've learned most of what I know when it comes to audio engineering, not demanding and using presets; the settings themselves are not the answer, the map is not the territory, I'm sure there is a cliché regarding men, fish and fishing rods I could use too. Yet it seems that all people care about is an instant gratification. Yes, the patch alone will not sound the same when used by someone else in their context but that in and of itself makes this whole debate even more perplexing. I receive between 15 and 20 messages most days, via email, facebook, soundcloud, forum PMs etc from people asking for presets and patches. I'm not telling you that to brag, I'm giving perspective. Sometimes the messages show a level of respect, but mostly they come with extremely entitled attitudes and no interest in learning the thought processes behind the settings. Yes, it is an honour to be asked, and when I do share my patches, presets and answer questions, I do so happily and aim to be as helpful as possible (I could link you countless examples of this but why should I have to prove myself to you?), and having done so I think it is fair to ask that my wishes be respected if I want to keep some of my work to myself for use in a professional capacity. I don't even have an issue with those that asked, just the few that sought to turn this into the mudslinging match it has become.
And come on Stratman68, if you're going to go for a cop-out grammar argument, why don't you actually read what I wrote? Your "Nothing special" does not equal my "As you can see there is very little going on", by which I clearly meant that the patch itself is very basic, with no tricks or secrets involved (it's simply a drive block and an amp model, to those that haven't checked it out). I must say I like that term "forum lawyer" too, ironic that you used it in the context that you did though.

Anyway, I have a plane to catch. Take care everyone, I shall refrain from posting on this forum in the future.

Knuckleheads!!!! Hahahaha... Nolly didn't put his sound sample in the preset exchange area, if he did ya'll might have a small arguement ... But, oh well. Great tonage Nolly!! Post up at the site dude!!! \m/

Now ya'll have to match EQ his stuff hahahahaha......:lol:lol:lol:lol

You're going to refrain from posting on this entire forum, or just this thread? Don't let a few fools prevent you from trying to contribute to the community. There are more people who appreciate your posts than there are who don't. There will be people starting shit regardless which forum you're posting on.

You guys bashing Nolly should be ashamed of yourselves. He's given more help, advice, patches and mixing tips to both of my communities (metalguitarist.org and sevenstring.org) over the past few years than just about anyone else that I can think of.

There are plenty of arrogant, selfish, attention-seeking musicians with giant egos on every forum you go to. Adam is not one of those people.

Love these periphery 'djent' guys, they post the same self promoting threads across countless forums of there new guitar or clip but never share. And then they take there toys and won't play anymore when someone complains. The irony is if it wasn't for meshuggH they wouldn't even have a career!

Love these periphery 'djent' guys, they post the same self promoting threads across countless forums of there new guitar or clip but never share. And then they take there toys and won't play anymore when someone complains. The irony is if it wasn't for meshuggH they wouldn't even have a career!

you're an idiot. bro.

I very rarely get embroiled in internet arguments, or even encounter negativity in the threads that I post in. So yes, this exchange has kept me awake tonight - rather inopportune given that I am heading to the airport in a matter of a couple of hours.

Many thanks for the support from those that have posted on my behalf, sincerely.
Steve/Guittarzzan, I'm glad to read your latest comment, there is no beef between us. :)

To Stratman68 and VegasGuitar - who said that sharing a patch is the only way to be helpful and contribute to the community? If anyone had asked ANY question about the patch or the mix in general I would have been more than happy to discuss what I've done and provide explanations behind why. To my mind at least that is a far more useful way to gain relevant and usable information than just receiving a preset with no instructions or explanation. Now I'm still learning my craft, but receiving help and advice from those with knowledge is how I've learned most of what I know when it comes to audio engineering, not demanding and using presets; the settings themselves are not the answer, the map is not the territory, I'm sure there is a cliché regarding men, fish and fishing rods I could use too. Yet it seems that all people care about is an instant gratification. Yes, the patch alone will not sound the same when used by someone else in their context but that in and of itself makes this whole debate even more perplexing. I receive between 15 and 20 messages most days, via email, facebook, soundcloud, forum PMs etc from people asking for presets and patches. I'm not telling you that to brag, I'm giving perspective. Sometimes the messages show a level of respect, but mostly they come with extremely entitled attitudes and no interest in learning the thought processes behind the settings. Yes, it is an honour to be asked, and when I do share my patches, presets and answer questions, I do so happily and aim to be as helpful as possible (I could link you countless examples of this but why should I have to prove myself to you?), and having done so I think it is fair to ask that my wishes be respected if I want to keep some of my work to myself for use in a professional capacity. I don't even have an issue with those that asked, just the few that sought to turn this into the mudslinging match it has become.
And come on Stratman68, if you're going to go for a cop-out grammar argument, why don't you actually read what I wrote? Your "Nothing special" does not equal my "As you can see there is very little going on", by which I clearly meant that the patch itself is very basic, with no tricks or secrets involved (it's simply a drive block and an amp model, to those that haven't checked it out). I must say I like that term "forum lawyer" too, ironic that you used it in the context that you did though.

Anyway, I have a plane to catch. Take care everyone, I shall refrain from posting on this forum in the future.

I don't see where Vegas or I said anything about contributing.You don't have to prove anything to me-I really don't care, at all. This is ONE thread. Anything else has nothing to do with it.All your fans here have taken a bit of criticism of you as a blatant vicious attack. I see no viciousness at all. I see no attack.I see difference of opinion. I see self centered -wow bad word. But, if the shoe fits........................ Naughty us. So leave-That certainly says a lot about you. But I already knew.Hence my posts.

I wish I hadn't said anything at all. The fact that he came back and posted the patch and info etc. shows he's a reasonable guy and not selfish as I originally stated. Sorry for my part in this.

Oh my god.. just a big oh my god to the whole. Anyway, I would like to say that from my point of view one of the most important things in music, the way I see it, is to be

unique, to do your own thing, and to make your own music. I could do cover songs because I like them, or to honor their creator.

Be unique, find your own expression and go for it. Use your own voice to express, paint the picture with your own brush. From all of me to all of you.

Others may find that their voice lays in a cover-band trying to be as close to the original as possible. Nothing wrong with that. Peace & love, romance and flowers.

*spreads his wings and flies away.

Last edited:
I don't see where Vegas or I said anything about contributing.You don't have to prove anything to me-I really don't care, at all. This is ONE thread. Anything else has nothing to do with it.All your fans here have taken a bit of criticism of you as a blatant vicious attack. I see no viciousness at all. I see no attack.I see difference of opinion. I see self centered -wow bad word. But, if the shoe fits........................ Naughty us. So leave-That certainly says a lot about you. But I already knew.Hence my posts.

The fact that you jumped all over a guy that has shared dozens of patches and settings because ONE TIME he didn't want to share it "certainly says a lot about you" as well.

Nolly's Ultra Recto patch is the second most downloaded preset in the MG library, and the forum attachment has been downloaded hundreds of times. He made that preset for me, because I was struggling with a certain tone that I was after. It wasn't some clandestine affair where he said "You can have this, but make sure nobody else does!". He shared it with everyone, and a TON of people are using it now. That's just one example of many.

I'm not posting because I'm a fan of Nolly's music. I play and listen to mostly 80's metal. I'm posting here because I'm watching a nice guy that's given TONS back to the communities he's part of get ripped on by a bunch of jerks with a sense of entitlement that's astounding. He could have simply ignored the guy who wanted the patch, but instead he politely and honestly replied to him. You think people are jumping on you because they're fans - you're wrong. People are jumping on you because you chose to aim your ire at one of the nicest, most helpful guys around.

Back
Top Bottom