Axe-FX II: Brown Sugar (ZZ top Intro)

Gamedojo

Power User
This one isn't going to be very exciting, but I had to give it a try.

Here is my first crack at it. The recording is incredibly hard to replicate since it has a lot of great room tone as well as vocal mic bleed of his picking, but I figured i'd share what I came up with:

ZZtop Brown Sugar Intro Sounds

These clips are making me realize I need a better sounding Les Paul! :)...maybe I can find a 1959 LP with PAFs for cheap? ...

PATCH DOWNLOAD

Very nice and organic sounding. You're right, some of the most difficult tones to get are those that sound so simple. Thanks for sharing your work.

Killer bro! I dig Billy's tone and this sounds good! We do a medly of sharp dressed/waiting on the bus/La grange currently using the plexi trebl which is a little more modern sounding but your clip seems to capture the more vintage Billy tone. Gonna try it Today!!!

Last edited:
Killer bro! I did Billy's tone and this sounds good! We do a medly of sharp dressed/waiting on the bus/La grange currently using the plexi trebl which is a little more modern sounding but your clip seems to capture the more vintage Billy tone. Gonna try it Today!!!

Actually, one of my first patches was a modern ZZtop tone... i've tweaked it but haven't posted it yet. I should do that soon.

maybe I can find a 1959 LP with PAFs for cheap? ...

Just get some Pearly Gates pups and a set of 8's. :)

I'm not a huge ZZ Top fan, but I came across this song on YouTube last week and loved that tone. Makes me want to check out some of the old ZZ Top stuff.

Your is very good Tyler, any thoughts on getting closer to the increased girth, and gain on this live take? I tried an OD and increasing the drive on the amp block, but so far not happening.

Last edited:

Your is very good Tyler, any thought on getting closer to the increased girth, and gain on this live take? I tried an OD and increasing the drive on the amp block, but so far not happening.

You're not going to get that sound with my patch. My patch is to replicate his Bassman and 50watt plexi tones of his early records. His current live tone is all about the JMP1 Preamp. Try replacing the amp blocks with JMP1 pres and play around with the speaker resonence.

what i did was take my ZZ tone and swap the plexi trble amp with the 1987 trble and bam low end and all. On my Lifeson Les Paul it gives up the goods of this live tone pretty much spot on. Thanks for the inspiration this am! eager to try your modern ZZ,.. never got the vibe from the Jmp but wanna hear yours.

Last edited:
Just tried the same pre set I shared with the Brit pre --frigggin killer!!! Huge with the Les paul
***Bro, my sincere apologies if it seems like I hijacked your thread to slant towards the modern ZZ tone just got excited! Your contributions here have been a huge blessing!

Last edited:
Funny, we just learned both Gimme All Your Lovin, and Brown Sugar (Stones version) last night ... I'm looking forward to trying these patches out later (when my wife's not around, both songs will be a surprise to her ;-) ...

Funny, we just learned both Gimme All Your Lovin, and Brown Sugar (Stones version) last night ... I'm looking forward to trying these patches out later (when my wife's not around, both songs will be a surprise to her ;-) ...

Note: This Brown Sugar is not the song written by the Rolling Stones.

Richard

This thread is about the ZZtop song which is unrelated to the Brown Sugar by the Stones....

...but, check out my other thread on the Stones version showing a clip and my patch:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/52978-axe-fx-ii-brown-sugar.html

what i did was take my ZZ tone and swap the plexi trble amp with the 1987 trble and bam low end and all. On my Lifeson Les Paul it gives up the good of this live tone pretty much spot on. Thanks for the inspiration this am! eager to try your modern ZZ,.. never got the vibe from the Jmp but wanna hear yours.

Dude that is a killer patch - thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom