Axe-Fx II / AX8 at a gathering of bass players

selta

Power User
So, yesterday I hosted my annual Pacific NW Bass Player's Get Together. It is an event that I put together to bring the local community together to meet with builders, manufacturers, and other players to try out gear, talk about setups and just generally hang out. Each year, it draws anywhere from 70 to 100 bass players, and anywhere from 6 to 18 or so different vendors. If you think of it as a micro-NAMM, you're pretty much correct.

Anyway, this year I had a good opportunity to showcase my Axe-Fx II and AX8 setups. In part, people were interested with the setup because of the Dingwall basses, but by large and far, the shiny, blinking lights and green screens were drawing folks over.

13237717_10209160380263879_7966563369010889659_n.jpg

I gave a few group demos, and also gave quite a few one on one time with various bass players. A few of them were "Bass -> Amp -> Cab" players, so even the AX8 would be over kill for them. But, a lot of players were very into the gear and the possibilities from both magic boxes.

At one point, a guy brought his (admittedly killer) pedal board, which a few of us spent a good amount of time A/B'ing.
13239227_10209160468306080_4823293470528835426_n.jpg

It took a bit of tweaking, but we ended up emulating 75% or so of that just in a few minutes of monkeying around. We did it mostly with the AX8, and once I told folks how much the AX8 costs (especially compared to that pedal board), there was a LOT of "oooh" and "ahhh" going on.

Then I plugged into the Axe-Fx II and really drove through a lot of the bigger presets that I have and use with my bands.

Overall, there was a lot of interest in the gear. I of course got asked about various things that these units don't have (various amps and pedals). I said yes, there is a distinct lack of bass specific gear in here, but with some out of the box thinking, they can likely dial in their tone, it just won't be as simple as it can and should be.

It was good to put this gear in front of "my" own people, especially people in this area. I'm already looking forward to next year, but also the new event that I host every 2-3 months dedicated to these in this area as well. It sure is nice to see people's eyes light up when they start to "get it" and start to put together all the new possibilities open to them.

great job Selta! you are definitely one of the leaders here when it comes to Bass guitar.

but... Miku pedal? really? ;)

Thanks Chris *blushing*. In the next 2-4 weeks, I am aiming to release a "bank" of presets for the AX8 and a similar number of presets for the Axe-Fx II. Hopefully, if I can carve out enough time, I can start releasing presets more often.

The Miku pedal is, in all honestly, neat as hell. Props to you for seeing it, sneaking onto the board with the AX8. If you approach the pedal knowing it's limitations well, it can do some really cool things (especially in conjunction with the FAS stuff).

I just spent about 2 hours working with a handful of local bassists, doing a "deeper dive" type demo of the Axe-Fx II. It's nice to do that because not only am I showing them how I use it and what I've found it to be capable of, but they also ask me questions for their use cases, which in turn makes me approach things and think about them in a new light. While doing that, I got with the studio owner and we've tentatively scheduled the next Modeler Day (what we call it - a day to show case FAS products and bring users and people unfamiliar with them in to give them a shot with "experts" on hand). July 24th it seems like will be the day.

This area has a LOT of talent, and a lot of big acts that roll through. I love putting this gear in front of these people, and just building the local community as well as being a reference for folks when they have questions or need help. I've even dug out my ol guitar out of the closet and began playing it again, so I can lend at least a little bit of a hand with that now too (but, I know two other monster guitarists using FAS gear here, so I mostly defer deeper tone questions to those guys).

It's a lot of work, but it is worth it, I think.

I need to buy a couple more FAS shirts at some point. Wearing one to a gig on a Friday night, having to wash and dry it, then wear it again the next day... ugh. xD
Every time I tried to buy one in my size, they were sold out.

Back
Top Bottom