Axe-Fx II as a cabinet simulator?

Voldemort

Inspired
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to use the Axe-Fx as essentially a virtual cabinet for a tube head? In other words, I would like to use my Marshall head but run it through the UR cabs in the Axe and then out to a FRFR system. I suppose you could use the FX-loop send from the head into the front of the Axe-Fx, but that would still require a physical cabinet to be hooked up to the head so that it sees a load, no?

I think this would be pretty cool, if possible.

Yes it would work, you'll just need an attenuator that drops the speaker output to line level. Or you could use a real cab and FX send as a "mic substitute", but that way you'll only have the tone of your preamp.
Edit: my 666th post, now I can't post anymore.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to use the Axe-Fx as essentially a virtual cabinet for a tube head? In other words, I would like to use my Marshall head but run it through the UR cabs in the Axe and then out to a FRFR system. I suppose you could use the FX-loop send from the head into the front of the Axe-Fx, but that would still require a physical cabinet to be hooked up to the head so that it sees a load, no?

I think this would be pretty cool, if possible.

You can certainly do this, you just need a loadbox that has a Line out, so you connect the speaker out from the amp to the loadbox and connect the loadbox's Line out to the Axe, you can even use the Axe Fx and loaded Down amp in 4CM to make the rig even more versatile

Mind...blown! Thanks guys!

Any suggestions for a good load box? Also, if it's a line-level output, can it go directly into input 1 of the Axe, or does it have to go into the fx loop? Or does it not matter?

Mind...blown! Thanks guys!

Any suggestions for a good load box? Also, if it's a line-level output, can it go directly into input 1 of the Axe, or does it have to go into the fx loop? Or does it not matter?

It can go in the loop out input 1 rear.

For an inexpensive reactive load box. I like the Rivera Rockcrusher as a load box. Good quality reactive load box that isn't too expensive.

I'm using a Palmer load, full range out. PGA-04.

Presets are vol ped, compressor, wah, drive 1, drive 2, modulation, FX send to amp head and load box, back in to FX return, noise gate/ expander, cab block, EQ, delay1, delay2, multi-delay, pitch.

DI to FOH.

I still have easy access to Fractal amp sims if needed, but I'm really liking the real thing in this configuration most of the time.

I had to use balanced out from Palmer, ground lifted, to input 2 (FX return) and also isolate the Palmer from the rack rails to eliminate squeals in high gain modes, and a ground loop.

As an update to this, I picked up a THD Hotplate, which has a "load" setting. It works great!! I just plug the line output from the Hotplate into the FX return on the Axe and I'm good to go. I can now use the Axe and my heads together, but the best part is that I can run everything at bedroom volume (I live in an apartment). I used to run the heads through an attenuator (Hotplate or Ultimate) into a 2x12 cab and hated the sound. Running the heads through the Axe IRs sounds great!

Just out of curiosity:

Why would you want to use the amps at all? What's the motivation there?

If there is something going on in that amp that the AFX2 doesn't do, why not tone match and put those amps away?

Just wondering, seems like
Dord.png

:D:D

As others have said in this thread, it works well. both with regular amps and preamps (like a triaxis). i mostly use it in this way as a reference for dialing in the amp block after (big) firmware updates.

Just out of curiosity:

If there is something going on in that amp that the AFX2 doesn't do, why not tone match and put those amps away?

Dord.png

I've backed an artist that demanded I used the actual tube amp that I used in the studio on the tour as well (very well paid tour so I did it). Used the load down method at that tour.
Also some of us have vintage or boutique amps that are not modeled in the Axe.
The described approach can also be used to tone match and other reasons could be nostalgia, personal preference or to ease yourself into taking the full jump to the Axe, which for at least some that have used tube amps for a long time can be nerve wrecking at first.

Just out of curiosity:

Dord.png

I just had an old head that I felt like playing through. It's not modeled in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom