Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

Yeah, the CAT5 cable thing is great on paper, but I've been leery of it because of my experience in using it in AoIP studios. Now the advantage there is that everything is going to be mounted and fixed so you don't have to worry about it being moved, but it is not very robust in my opinion, especially in cases where you are going from RJ45 on one end and trying to solder to an XLR on the other end. The only thing that I could find that was acceptable was to make sure that we used stranded CAT5 or CAT6 which is usually reserved for patch cables. Once you get stranded the reliability improves a lot. It is a lot easier to work with on the solder side....it flat out sucks when making the RJ45 end.

The G-System has a cat5 cable that I've been gigging with for several years and zero issues. However, I've had friends that have had all kinds of trouble, so I think my experience is more of an anomaly (or, the exception that proves the rule).

Last edited:
OK, Fractal forumite ethomas and I got together last evening to A/B the two units. ethomas is a good guy and I’m very grateful for his generosity of time and his willingness to come help me check out the two units. We did, indeed, have some really cool guitars to play with. It was fun.

I fully expect to get flamed by both camps, but I’ll start with the bottom line and then unpack the thoughts a little bit. Here’s the nutshell: both units sound incredible. Truly. They both sound and (just as importantly) feel like a legit tube amp. I don’t want to speak for ethomas but I think we both agreed that either unit would be very usable and that either of us would be happy with either one. That’s all. No qualifications. They both sound/feel fantastic. Note that both were on the latest firmware...3.0 for KPA and 18 beta for Axe-Fx, and both were played through an Atomic CLR Neo Wedge (great FRFR, incidentally).

Keep in mind that the last time I played through anything digital, solid state, or modeling-related was back in the Digitech RP series days. Those things sounded like crap and made everything sound overly digital. We’ve come a long way from those days and I could honestly use either of these units and be content.

Here are some more specific thoughts:
Tone - both sounded good. Really good. They both had some tones that were much better than others, and again this will be affected by the individual player, guitar, and so forth. For all of the talk by some of the Axe being hard to dial in (because of too many options), it really wasn’t hard to dial in a usable tone on either device. And both devices had some default profiles/models that just didn’t sound that good. I’m not so much concerned with how accurate to the original amp the sounds are (unless I’m trying to capture my own amps, in which case I’m VERY concerned with that); I’m more interested in whether they sound good and are usable tones for me. Both definitely had that in spades.

Feel - both feel really good, respond well to finger dynamics, how hard you pick, etc. Both respond well to volume and tone knob adjustments. I’d give a very slight edge for “feel” to the KPA, but it’s almost imperceptible. They both feel great. No hesitations about this at all (this was one of my worries going in).

Usability - both are really easy to use. If you’re going into really deep parameters and messing around with them, then probably either device could get tedious or complex (esp. the Axe because it has more options). But just pulling up profiles/presets/whatever is easy on both. I’m far less concerned about this than many people seem to be, because I’ll get accustomed to whatever I end up with.

Effects - this is the only place, IMO, where there is a clear win for either unit (unless you’re comparing just a flat number of features). The Axe’s effects sound more natural, there are far more of them, and there are a lot more options to configure them. I don’t use a ton of effects, so this isn’t necessarily as big of a deal for me as it might be for others, but even the two effects that I almost always use (delay and reverb), the Axe wins hands down. The biggest place where this was noticeable was in the decay of the delays and reverbs on the Kemper...they sounded digital and non-natural - not drastically so, but noticeable. The Axe’s were really nice. I don’t think the Kemper’s effects sound bad; they are very usable. But when you compare them, they just don’t stand up to the Axe’s. Also the routing options in the Axe-Fx DO make a difference. Sometimes I want the delay early in the chain, sometimes at the end, etc.

Conclusion - So, what’s my choice? I’m actually still not 100% sure. That’s not a cop-out; both units are awesome and could work for me. I think given the parity between most facets of the units, the one thing that stands out is the effects on the Axe. For that reason alone, I’d probably choose the Axe platform over the KPA. I could certainly use the KPA and then just use another effects unit, but I’m trying to eliminate as much gear as possible. All things considered, my ideal solution would actually be something like the AX8. If that was coming any time soon, it would make the decision pretty easy, and it also combines the foot controller with the modeling and effects. A couple of trade-offs, but for me they would be easily worth it. So, at this point unless I hear that the AX8 won’t be out for two years or something, I’ll probably wait for that to release. If it is going to be a while before it comes out, then I’ll probably go with the Axe-Fx, simply based on the effects capabilities.

For me, this is not a win-lose situation; we live in a great time when there are fantastic devices like these that make the choice between them really difficult and really just come down to what works better for each person, based more on minor usage factors than any major or overwhelmingly lopsided difference in quality, etc.

I'd welcome ethomas to post his impressions, too, IF he wants to (if not, that's his prerogative).

Last edited:
423 posts later and basically no difference :)

ax8 sounds like a great choice though. good luck with whatever you end up getting.

brace for the "you didn't test right" "what speakers did you use... oh that's why" "what firmware did you try" "you're a secret agent for digitech" comments :p i can feel them comin' already!

It's awesome that you got to try out both and I wish you good luck in your future musical endeavors. It was awesome to read through this entire thread, weed through all of the bashing and hateful comments and for you to keep a level head about it all. Seems like your review was a lot more objective than others I've read in the past.

I appreciate the feedback even though you are still on the fence. The AX8 looks like a simple great new solution for a lot of people, which then makes wonder if Kemper has something new up their sleeve too ;)

Great that you posted your comparison and I´m sure the "feel issues" could be eliminated through tweaking or choosing differnet cabs or fine tuning - i think that the latency also contributes to the "feel" aspect - anybody knows the difference there? The last time I checked the Kemperlatency was higher...

(BTW: Last month I had to play the Kemper I was really astonished by the profiles from the "Amp Factory" -I know i repeat myself but I would really appreciate something comparible for the AXE FX - especially the Vox Profiles were great - any "Tweaking gear heads" with both units here, that like to Tone Match the amp factory profiles:)))????? Or maybe the developer of Amp Factory wants to broaden his product line up? I think something like that would make it much easier to choose btw these units especially for people who don´t have the time or knowledge to create sounds from scratch.... )

Give the op some credit. He came asking for advice In specific gear forums about competing products. He knew he would get flames, but asked anyway and kept a level head. Had he not done so he wouldnt have had the oportunity to directly compate the units.

He can now focus on whatd important and make his finak choice. Still not easy for him, but he has no doubtsvabour what each unit can do. With these particular units thats rarely the case for poeple new to this kit.

Hope the op is now focussed on aquiring what he wants/needs now for him personal situation.

if I judged both units to be the same for my wants, I'd just go with the cheaper.

Its a little more difficult though because the firmwares change and you should take that into account. Thats good and bad. Improvements are good. Getting swept along with the current through years of improvements is bad (from my perspective). I have enjoyed the last 4 years on a consistent Axe Ultra FW and am about to get a II that will likely be undergoing FW revisions for the next couple of years (?).. I'm nervous about that and excited too. Probably will stay on FW18 for a good while and wait for the final FW.. I know. Famous last words.

Glad you got through this alive! As you said from the outset, most of the forum comparisons are relatively old for these two. So for some of us it was very interesting hear a modern comparison with the up to date firmwares.
Nothing wrong with a tie-breaker either, it's a perfect result for the consumer actually! No matter which camp you are in, you know you are at the top and have got appropriate bang for your buck.

I paid close to $80 for shipping and I'm in NY. Guess that's not normal then . . . . ?

I just ordered a II XL+ and MFC and ground shipping was about that to Montgomery, AL. I would have expected shipping to NY to be less, but they probably had to add a couple of snow shovels to the bill.

I appreciate the feedback even though you are still on the fence. The AX8 looks like a simple great new solution for a lot of people, which then makes wonder if Kemper has something new up their sleeve too ;)

Not so much on the fence about which platform (I'm going Fractal); more on the fence about whether I should wait for the AX8 or just jump in to a II. I'd prefer the AX8 because that would eliminate the need to use a rack altogether. But I don't want to wait like a year or more.

Not so much on the fence about which platform (I'm going Fractal); more on the fence about whether I should wait for the AX8 or just jump in to a II. I'd prefer the AX8 because that would eliminate the need to use a rack altogether. But I don't want to wait like a year or more.

I'm not expecting to own an AX8 until 2016. Just preparing myself mentally for waiting.

Get the Axe II and any midi controller if you can't afford the MFC. The AX8 will be a stripped-down version of the Axe II; with the Axe II + any midi controller you get all the Axe can offer. The AX-8 has just been announced as a product.

I considered that, but want as little equipment as possible. Plus cross-platform often requires jumping through some hoops to get things to work well together.
I obviously have no idea how Ax8 + KPA would work, but when I tried to use the Axe II & KPA together the results were TERRIBLE. Definitely far less than the sum of their parts in that case. I'm not sure which unit was to blame, neither or both really. Fighting levels to prevent clipping was either next to impossible or forced me to run my PA a lot harder than I would've liked - and still only have about the same 'umph' as a 20w head through a 2x12 cab, max.

Get the Axe II and any midi controller if you can't afford the MFC. The AX8 will be a stripped-down version of the Axe II; with the Axe II + any midi controller you get all the Axe can offer. The AX-8 has just been announced as a product.

Yeah, I understand the differences between them. I don't need dual amps/cabs, and the trade-off for not having to use a rack would be well worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom