Axe FX Frozen

Hey guys!

I just updated my XL to the new firmware and now when I turn my XL on, it gets stuck on the Fractal Audio Systems, AXE-FX II PREAMP/FX PROCESSOR screen. Please help me! I'm scared I broke it somehow!

have you tried turning it off and on again 1 or 2 more times? wait 5 seconds in between off and on. sometimes it can get stuck there, and eventually boot, but that's rare these days.

if so and if it's still stuck, you need to do a recovery boot up. hold both PAGE buttons (page left and page right) while turning on the unit.

chances are you turned off the axe while it was still programming itself. Fractal-Bot probably said it was done sending - but the Axe is still programming at that point. you have to wait for the Front Panel screen of the Axe to say "Power Off Now"

have you tried turning it off and on again 1 or 2 more times? wait 5 seconds in between off and on. sometimes it can get stuck there, and eventually boot, but that's rare these days.

if so and if it's still stuck, you need to do a recovery boot up. hold both PAGE buttons (page left and page right) while turning on the unit.

chances are you turned off the axe while it was still programming itself. Fractal-Bot probably said it was done sending - but the Axe is still programming at that point. you have to wait for the Front Panel screen of the Axe to say "Power Off Now"

That might have been what happened. I've only had this thing for a couple weeks and updated the firmware once, so i'm still pretty green when it comes to how this thing works. I appreciate your help, i'm re-installing the new firmware again! Thank you!

make sure you are installing the firmware for the XL, NOT the XL+ (plus) or the Mark I & Mark II, though it shouldn't allow you to install the wrong firmware anyway.

Do you have a foot controller connected? If so unplug everything but the usb cable , ax edit off

This sounds like you shut the power off before the unit was finished with the firmware update. Fortunately you can emergency boot by holding down Page Left and Page Right while turning the power on. You can then reinstall the firmware.

make sure you are installing the firmware for the XL, NOT the XL+ (plus) or the Mark I & Mark II, though it shouldn't allow you to install the wrong firmware anyway.

I've double and triple checked that.

Do you have a foot controller connected? If so unplug everything but the usb cable , ax edit off

I had unbalanced output cables connected and the instrument cable connected. I've disconnected everything and tried again. 17 worked, I had no presets but if i'm correct I have to load those on anyways. Tried 18 again, freezes again. I don't get it!

Wow , maybe try downloading firmware again ? Possibly a corupted file download ?

Is the process completing in fractal bot with a prompt , and showing on the unit to turn off and wait 5 seconds and restart ?

Is the process completing in fractal bot with a prompt , and showing on the unit to turn off and wait 5 seconds and restart ?

It sure is. Everything is seemingly going normal. Once I turn it off and turn it back on after at least 5 seconds, it just freezes. I've already redownloaded the firmware 3 times, same result each time. What's funny, is now when I install 17, the unit works, but I have no factory presets. I downloaded the presets and loaded them via fractal-bot and they aren't working either. It's still showing as completely empty. For whatever reason, everything went downhill as soon as I tried installing the new firmware. I'm almost 100% sure I did everything as I should the first go around too. So i'm kind of at a standstill right now.

The good news is, I can import the presets one by one and that works(On firmware 17). It's going to take forever, but at least it's something.

Let me ask you guys this, i've gone back to my older firmware, older fractal bot, and older axe-edit. Is there a certain order in which I should update everything? Does it matter?

Let me ask you guys this, i've gone back to my older firmware, older fractal bot, and older axe-edit. Is there a certain order in which I should update everything? Does it matter?

I always have the latest Fractal Bot first installed, then I install the Firmware for Axe II then I install the Editor. That way has worked 100% of the time so far.

I start by backing everything up with fractal bot , do a reset, but not allways , then install firmware ,reinstall my system backup .Something is really strange there , I think I'd contact support if I were you .

Yeah you better contact support. If you can install FW17 you should be able to install FW18 with the same process. Once the FW update get's to the screen on the axe that says reboot, you should be good. And your preset issues sounds like there is something bad going on.

Email support and they will get right on it. Don't get too bummed as equipment fubars are pretty rare, and it's totally worth it once it's working.

did you try to install the beta version FW18s as well? Or just straight from 17 to the latest version 18?

Yeah you better contact support. If you can install FW17 you should be able to install FW18 with the same process. Once the FW update get's to the screen on the axe that says reboot, you should be good. And your preset issues sounds like there is something bad going on.

Email support and they will get right on it. Don't get too bummed as equipment fubars are pretty rare, and it's totally worth it once it's working.

did you try to install the beta version FW18s as well? Or just straight from 17 to the latest version 18?

I just emailed support. I went from 17 to 18.

I could hold recall and turn on the unit and it would boot normally using 18. There were no presets however and once the unit was turned off, it wouldn't boot without holding recall again. I decided to use different USB cables, different ports, removing all software and starting from scratch, nothing has worked. I just don't get it.

Meanwhile, could you try one of the other FW18 updates? there are three FW18 updates; two beta and the most recent 18.01. It's curious that 17 works and 18.01 won't

I just reread what you typed. Did you reboot holding "page lt - page rt" then powerup? I think you should get to a screen that says "FW0.00" and you can scroll through some test screens. Don't mess with them! You need to install the FW again after this reboot. I think you did this before, but I'm not positive.

edit: also, i'm not sure that you need to do this emergency restart, but what the heck! I accidentally killed power while the FW update was installing it and on powerup it would only light the screen and leds, then lockup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom