Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah ok, then my ears are probably a bit off again :sweatsmile:

I really enjoy the new firmware ... I love the 5150s!

IMO, the channels on my Mark IV sound vintage and seem to cover a wider range of usability per setting. To me, it's about the feel as much as the tone but it certainly makes a difference. The Mark Five is surgical in it's intent, with Ch 3 filling a more modern role to my ears. It's tighter. Just my experience.

IMO, the channels on my Mark IV sound vintage and seem to cover a wider range of usability per setting. To me, it's about the feel as much as the tone but it certainly makes a difference. The Mark Five is surgical in it's intent, with Ch 3 filling a more modern role to my ears. It's tighter. Just my experience.
I think your assessment is spot on. My perfect amp would be a mix of the Mark V's channel 1 (all three modes), and channels 2 & 3 would be Mark IV and 2C+, but also have two 5 band EQs like the JP 2C.

Just wanna say thank you for updating the noise gate!!!!!! Been wanting it for a long time, and I know I’m not alone. I learned that many think we’re nuts, and many more just don’t like noise gates.. but here we are! The modern expander is great! Drop the balloons!!! 🎊

Reactions: J.C
When you tried reinstalling was it from the same file or did you download again first?
First and third attempts were downloaded directly from fractal bot, 2nd was downloaded from the link in this thread. All had the same result.

Before the 3rd attempt, I even made sure I had the latest USB drivers and so on, just in case. I guess I could try reinstalling bot too.

I don't think the issue is with the USB cable. It works fine with 21.01 installed. I guess I can try another anyway. Also the memory check from emergency boot came back clear.

...may just make sure I have a fresh backup from 21.01 and do a hard reset across the board. Maybe I have some obscure global or utility setting causing the problem. shrugs

First and third attempts were downloaded directly from fractal bot, 2nd was downloaded from the link in this thread. All had the same result.

Before the 3rd attempt, I even made sure I had the latest USB drivers and so on, just in case. I guess I could try reinstalling bot too.

I don't think the issue is with the USB cable. It works fine with 21.01 installed. I guess I can try another anyway. Also the memory check from emergency boot came back clear.

...may just make sure I have a fresh backup from 21.01 and do a hard reset across the board. Maybe I have some obscure global or utility setting causing the problem. shrugs
Weird... Worst case, get in touch with Fractal support.

Update: I'm still not sure what the specific issue was, but it was definitely preset related. Something in this one (attached) is the culprit. Sharing in case someone on the dev team wants to review, but I'd strongly suggest anyone else steer clear.

...cleared all presets (this was the only non-factory one loaded at the time), and 21.02 booted up just fine.

Attachments

• Rotti_KSR_x.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p02.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Added "59 Bassguy RI Jumped" amp model based on a ’59 Bassman LTD Reissue.

Added “JP IIC+ Shred” Input Boost type to Amp block. This replicates the “Shred” switch on the Mesa/Boogie JP2C.

Added “Bosom Boost” Drive model based on a Friedman Buxom Boost.

Added “OD-One Overdrive” Drive model based on a Boss OD-1.

Improved Compressor block:
  • Improved Studio FF Compressor 1 type. New algorithm yields smoother release and “fatter” compression. This type is suitable for a wide range of uses now including bus and mastering. Type has been renamed Studio FF Compressor.
  • Improved Optical Compressor types. New algorithm features improved ballistics and inherent soft knee for vintage optical compression sounds.
  • Improved Dynamics Processor type. New algorithm also supports various detector types.
  • Improved JFET Compressor type.
  • Added Optical Sustainer type based on optocoupler-based pedal compressors.
  • Added Analog Sustainer type. This is an upwards compressor using the same “analog” gain computer as the Analog Compressor type yielding a natural soft-knee response.
  • Added JFET Sustainer type. This is based on a rare JFET-based pedal compressor where the JFET is in the op-amp’s feedback network.
  • The range of the Release Time has been increased to 2ms to 2s.
  • Added graph for Analog Compressor and Sustainer types.
  • New Auto-Makeup Gain algorithms for most types provides better output level tracking vs. Threshold and Ratio. Note: As a result, the output level of the compressor block may be slightly different compared to previous firmware. Auditioning presets that use the Compressor block is recommended.
  • Selectable Auto-Makeup Gain has been added to Optical, Tube and Analog Compressor types.
  • Studio FF Compressor 2 has been renamed Studio FF Sustainer.
  • Studio FB Compressor 1 has been renamed Studio FB Compressor and Studio FB Compressor 2 has been renamed Studio FB Sustainer.
  • Types have been alphabetized.
Improved Gate block:
  • Improved Downward Expander type. The “Hold Time” parameter has been removed as it is not compatible and no longer needed with the new algorithm. This type has been renamed “Classic Expander” as it based off classic analog downward expanders.
  • Added “Modern Expander” type. This type uses a novel approach to the envelope detector resulting in improved ballistics compared to traditional analog expanders. A “Knee Type” parameter has been added which allows selecting between hard-knee expansion and varying degrees of soft-knee expansion.
Improved Noise Gate in Input block:
  • Improved performance based on new algorithm developed for Gate block.
  • A Mode selection has been added allowing the user to select between “Easy” and “Advanced”. In Easy mode the number of parameters is reduced simplifying the adjustment procedure for those who are unfamiliar with the finer details of gates/expanders for guitar noise reduction applications.
Changed bypass/engage speed for the following blocks: Drive, Filter, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Wah. These blocks now bypass/engage with a gentle fade as rapid bypass/engage with these types of blocks can sound abrupt.

Updated PVH 6160 Block and PVH 6160+ models. New models have more accurate Gain knob response.

Reduced default Power Tube Grid Bias for PVH 6160 and Recto models as previous default was hotter than these amps are typically run due to the non-adjustable bias.

Improved Speaker Thump algorithm in Amp block.

Added “Oxbow Loadbox” and “Double Notes Loadbox” speaker impedance curves based on a Universal Audio Ox and Two Notes Torpedo, respectively.

Fixed Transformer and Vintage preamp types in Cabinet block not ported correctly during a previous firmware update. This manifested as the distortion not being frequency dependent.

Various other fixes and improvements.
These features will come also in the Fm3?

Ok, if you have a couple EV1 or EV2 pedals, and an FC foot controller, this preset is for you...... So fun!!

FC Pedal 1 is set to control volume block
FC Pedal 2 is set to control both the Wah block and the Pitch block {Wammy}
FC Wahmmy switch toggles M-Plex block back and forth, between Wah and Wammy duty {see screenshot}
FC Freqout switch triggers Synth block for Freqout effect on hold, while tap will toggle the shift setting for lower strings {see screenshot}

Have to give credit where credit is due, since most of this trick stuff is from the great minds of @Admin M@ , @simeon , @Cooper Carter ,
and @2112 ......thanks guys!

Wahmmy.pngFreqout.png

Attachments

• Everything.fasBundle
    35.6 KB · Views: 27
Anyone familiar with this error message?
Updated FW and boot time is SUUUPER slow.
Tried reinstall in safe boot mode, same soup.

EDIT: Tested memory and got the all-clear. Going to reinstall previous FW for now... maybe an issue just on the Turbo?

...aaand everything's gravy with FW21.01 again. :?

View attachment 116025

I haven't noticed any slownes on the Turbo with 12.02. Same boot up times as 12.01 for me

Ok, I think I figured out how to do the preset...
I realize this isn't that big of a problem, but has anybody been able to take a look at it and see if there's a way to prevent it? I'm super familiar having been an AxeFX user since the first standards rolled out, but I'm at a loss as to if I'm missing something or not....and it is mildly frustrating/jarring when it occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😃

I realize this isn't that big of a problem, but has anybody been able to take a look at it and see if there's a way to prevent it? I'm super familiar having been an AxeFX user since the first standards rolled out, but I'm at a loss as to if I'm missing something or not....and it is mildly frustrating/jarring when it occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😃
A couple of issues.
  1. The Virtual Capo model is not the right model for this. The pitch will change in stepped semitones instead of a smooth change. Classic Whammy with 'Down 2 Oct' is what you want.
  2. Auto-Engage will have a small bump when the effect turns on and off. One option is to leave the effect always on and deal with a bit of latency. Or lookup the 'Golden Whammy' settings. However, even that isn't as effective as it once was. There is still a noticeable glitch during the very fast cross-fade. I suspect that it is comb filtering happening while the dry and wet signals are both (briefly) heard.
Your expression pedals seem to be setup backwards to me. What pedals are you using?

Last edited:
Try this Pitch block 'constantly on' version..

BTW.. This probably shouldn't have been in this Firmware discussion thread.

Attachments

• Red Nazgul 4CM (Moke).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom