Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @FractalAudio I just found a bug, changing the Power supply - Screen frequency knob back and forth quickly a few times (using the Soldano 100 LEAD model), crashes the output and I have to restart the AxeFX 3. Not that anyone should be twiddling that knob so much :D, definitely something strange happening there. Goodluck!

EDIT: just tested it out on the Jazz 120 as well, also sets the outputs going crazy (100% output levels including SPDIF).

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call that fizz since it seems to be a phaser pedal going direct into the board?

What I call fizz seems most prominent in the Axe 3 on the decay of palm mutes with a high gain sound. When I played through my rack with JCM 800’s into dummy loads, I would describe that decay sound as “hair” or “splatter” because of the more smooth, omnidirectional quality of the analog version. The “fizz” I get when palm muting or on hard strum transients through the Axe 3 seems a bit grainier and notchy, compared to my analog rack live sound.

To be fair, the more grainy, notchy sound of the Axe 3 is consistent with the quality of a mic’d studio sound of my analog rig. Maybe I can get closer to the hairy, splatter amp in the room sound when I upgrade to the Axe 3 MK2 turbo…

Yeah….that kinda fine tunes the description…like those old school soda commercials especially the 7UP ones when they emphasize the recording of the “fizzing” during the pouring of the soda into a glass.
I remember some awful sounding old school guitar recordings where the guitar leads sound super fuzzy like a kazoo lol!

A lot of local players sound just like these in my early years of checking out local artists.

Don’t get me wrong ….that kazoo tone has its place in certain situations (limited in my view) and intentional…but those early years was simply unintentional with the players having no idea how to dial in good tone and coming off sounding like a kazoo lol

Same thing happened to me on the JS410 Orange and no matter how much tweaking I‘ve done it just will not go back to the way it was. I’m just staying on 20.04 and hoping for a future update to some of these amp models.
Yah had to go back to 20.04 also - thought 21.0 was nice but after trying my presets just not jiving with my headphones - only way I can use axe currently in house

Same thing happened to me on the JS410 Orange and no matter how much tweaking I‘ve done it just will not go back to the way it was. I’m just staying on 20.04 and hoping for a future update to some of these amp models.
Me too at the beginning.. Same amp which i also own... Beside the changes reported above, concentrate on the cab block.. To me it worked.

I updated to fw21.0 and it basically made my main patch totally unusable. A lot of frequencies are missing when I recorded and compared it to fw20.03 that I had. I reverted to 20.03 and my patch is back to life again.

I tried the reset amp block trick etc and did not do much good. Any pointers ? Is it purely because of the modeling algorithm changes?

I updated to fw21.0 and it basically made my main patch totally unusable. A lot of frequencies are missing when I recorded and compared it to fw20.03 that I had. I reverted to 20.03 and my patch is back to life again.

I tried the reset amp block trick etc and did not do much good. Any pointers ? Is it purely because of the modeling algorithm changes?
It seems like this firmware is so awesome that it wouldn’t take very long to make a new preset that kicked ass……what amp model were you using?

It seems like this firmware is so awesome that it wouldn’t take very long to make a new preset that kicked ass……what amp model were you using?
It's a patch that uses the AC30TB and the Fender Twin Reverb in stereo. Going to do some tweaking to see if I can get that sound back. Any places I should start at ?

It's a patch that uses the AC30TB and the Fender Twin Reverb in stereo. Going to do some tweaking to see if I can get that sound back. Any places I should start at ?
Maybe a few more details......is it highs or lows that seems to be missing? Do any presets at all sound good to you since the upgrade, or does everything sound bad? What are you listening through? Maybe even post the preset?

For those who are reverting to earlier firmware, I really think after an overhaul as gargantuan as this latest firmware, it’s best to rebuild the essence of the tone, the drive and amp blocks, from scratch. You can always rebuild your block libraries and redeploy them across your presets as global blocks. You’ve got to do what’s most efficient and best for you, but I think just resetting those two blocks and dialing in from there might get you wherever you’re headed faster than you think. Take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
For those who are referring to earlier firmware, I really think after an overhaul as gargantuan as this latest firmware, it’s best to rebuild the essence of the tone, the drive and amp blocks, from scratch. You can always rebuild your block libraries and redeploy them across your presets as global blocks. You’ve got to do what’s most efficient and best for you, but I think just resting those two blocks and dialing in from there might get you wherever you’re headed faster than you think. Take it with a grain of salt.
thats what i do everytime and it works out really well, but can i see where people with lots of presets dont wanna go that route

Maybe a few more details......is it highs or lows that seems to be missing? Do any presets at all sound good to you since the upgrade, or does everything sound bad? What are you listening through? Maybe even post the preset?
Missing highs and lows, and that oomph it had before. This is the only preset I use so noticed it right away. I haven't compared other presets including the stock ones.

I am using JBL studio monitors to listen through.

I will post the preset once I get to the computer.

I've been using more of the presets that I didn't use as much in the past, mostly just used my Soldano Preset, now (firmware 21) I'm loving Plexis for the first time. I understand that things change as improvements are made, I just wish the process was a little more straightforward.

Thinking I might record a DI loop through the previous firmware and record through my presets that have changed, then match by ear. Wish me luck!

Okay, so I did a little DI loop and compared a few of my presets, to my surprise the Soldano sounds pretty much the same, just a little bit more low end, and some less crispy high end perhaps.

The ENGL however is drastically different! I will have to massage that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom