Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've only tested the USA IIC++ against my real mesa mark v and I have to say Cliff whatever magic pills you take to come up with this stuff is truly insane. My only critique is the pitch harmonics are so much easier and I get way more on the real amp compared to the Axe.

Is there a parameter that smooths out these and makes them more pronounced? I switched the tonestack with one of the recto red which is way way closer than the mark (which is weird to me) but it has that flub. Any advice? I will play around with more speaker imp to see which one might make them pop more.

Sorry I don't mean to make it seem like I came here to shit on your work, as I'm not. But if that's the only thing one can bitch about, I'd say this is yet another level for you and your creation. Which again is insane! Thank you!

Yep it is true that when you watched this, the 5153 sound like Chinese shit
I have the 5153 100w... It's extremely useful. Worth noting that the 5150 was voiced with an ancient marshall cab of Eddie's, which resulted in the peavey sheffield speakers, which are bright as hell. The 5153 25w celestians are bright too, but not overly so. Very versatile all around.

So I've only tested the USA IIC++ against my real mesa mark v and I have to say Cliff whatever magic pills you take to come up with this stuff is truly insane. My only critique is the pitch harmonics are so much easier and I get way more on the real amp compared to the Axe.

Is there a parameter that smooths out these and makes them more pronounced? I switched the tonestack with one of the recto red which is way way closer than the mark (which is weird to me) but it has that flub. Any advice? I will play around with more speaker imp to see which one might make them pop more.

Sorry I don't mean to make it seem like I came here to shit on your work, as I'm not. But if that's the only thing one can bitch about, I'd say this is yet another level for you and your creation. Which again is insane! Thank you!
USA IIC++ is not the same as a Mark V. A Mark V is basically the same thing as a Mark IV. Use one of the USA Lead models.

Since you mentioned "best practice". Don't you feel it's Fractals obligation as a best practice to list the changes in the release notes instead of using terms like "various"?
I like the term loss of precision. I don't know where it got lost or how but its and interesting one. ha!

USA IIC++ is not the same as a Mark V. A Mark V is basically the same thing as a Mark IV. Use one of the USA Lead models.
Yeah I realize that but it actually sounds closer than the other USA models for whatever reason. I will deep dive again. They all sound good not even a question there. Tone wise? Yup. It's the pitch harmonics that are the missing link. That is why I meantioned the recto tonestack sounding closer.

Since you mentioned "best practice". Don't you feel it's Fractals obligation as a best practice to list the changes in the release notes instead of using terms like "various"?
No, release notes across the board generally state “bug fixes and stability improvements” along side of specific changes. “various” to me fits in that category

Yeah I realize that but it actually sounds closer than the other USA models for whatever reason. I will deep dive again. They all sound good not even a question there. Tone wise? Yup. It's the pitch harmonics that are the missing link. That is why I meantioned the recto tonestack sounding closer.
I'm kind of surprised to see this comment. I don't use the IIC++ so can't speak to that model specifically, but one of the things I love about the high gain models in general on the Axe Fx is how easy it is to get pinch harmonics. Maybe you're scooping too much midrange out?

I'm kind of surprised to see this comment. I don't use the IIC++ so can't speak to that model specifically, but one of the things I love about the high gain models in general on the Axe Fx is how easy it is to get pinch harmonics. Maybe you're scooping too much midrange out?
Each amp model in the axe is different. Yes some models the harmonics are there and easy while others are a bit buried for lack of better word. The Mesa mark amps are very mid focused amps so no I'm differently not scooping them, at least how I dial it.

Take the "Big Hair" model. The harmonics on that thing are crazy good. Now take the mark series and try to do the same thing. Yes completely different amps components etc, BUT the real mesa has those same harmonics if not more. If you don't have the amp, try one and you'll see what I'm talking about. So it's not that Cliff can't do it because it's on some models for sure just missing something on other models.

Take the "Big Hair" model. The harmonics on that thing are crazy good. Now take the mark series and try to do the same thing. Yes completely different amps components etc, BUT the real mesa has those same harmonics if not more. If you don't have the amp, try one and you'll see what I'm talking about. So it's not that Cliff can't do it because it's on some models for sure just missing something on other models.
Big hair has more high mid ?

FW 21 is super! Played a lot of amps, including some I didn't like on previous fw. The roll of volume of FW21 is great and also the combination amp and pedals. Most amps bloom and are open now. Even the DS1 which I owned myself is usable to me as previously there was some (for me!) frequencies I didn't like.

I have opened up ALL LOW cuts on all presets and although my little home studio is bass-heavy it's mostly the ;ow sub which I can still feel, but the modlows are way more pleasant.

Could be because of this that I have more EarFatigue and earlier titinussounds. Have to measure my DB's somehow on the high and low end of the spectrum with my adams.

Again NOT to take away from this fw I believe the pinch harmonics are there just got to find the right tweaks for these amp models. Cause they are there!

UPDATE: After a few more tweaks its closer still slight differences but not huge. I'll figure it out!

THIS UPDATE IS AWESOME!! Cliff, I think this update you discovered one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom