axe-fx down under

Axe-Master
hi guys
i've been considering an axe fx for a while now, but i think the time has finally come for me to take the plunge.
i have a few questions;
i live in australia, so will i need to use a stepdown transformer or does the unit run off an adaptor?
what sort of extra taxes/charges might i have to pay when i ship it?
for playing live i'd probably be running it into the effects return of a marshall; is this going to sound alright or should i go and buy a dedicated power amp?
any other hints, info, links or advice would be appreciated!
cheers

Hi!

Will work off 240v just fine - no mods required and uses standard IEC power leads so at worst you're up for $5-$10 to buy a new one of these if you don't have one handy.

The other questions I'll leave up to a) the more recent purchases (Duty+GST definately payable but my memory of this pain has long since been erased), b) Marshall users.

Chris

2112 said:
hi guys
i've been considering an axe fx for a while now, but i think the time has finally come for me to take the plunge.
i have a few questions;
i live in australia, so will i need to use a stepdown transformer or does the unit run off an adaptor?
what sort of extra taxes/charges might i have to pay when i ship it?
for playing live i'd probably be running it into the effects return of a marshall; is this going to sound alright or should i go and buy a dedicated power amp?
any other hints, info, links or advice would be appreciated!
cheers
I'm in Melbourne, had my Ultra for about 18mths. It is dual power so you just need a regular IEC cable (kettle plug), no transformers required.
I paid about $300 customs duty but i've since been told that there is some "free trade" agreement with USA made goods that negate the tax. I'm not sure of the specifics so you may want to check that out.
Your Marshall will work fine straight into the effect return which will basically bypass the preamp stage with little to no coloring of your sound. Best thing to do is just try it and see if you like it. I used Marshalls for years that way and never had any issues. Now i use In Ear Monitoring and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your purchase, i'm sure you won't regret it. If ya do, contact me, i may need a 2nd unit ;)

T

dont need a step down transformer works from 100-240v
i used to use it as an effects unit with an amp
but am now using an art sla-2 and am stoked.....
import taxes were $272 through a customs broker....

I got my Ultra shortly after Teejay.
It cost me $384.33 in Customs Duty.
From memory you can only get the Free Trade Agreement discount if the unit is wholly 100% 'Made in the USA' from USA parts.
I don't think the AxeFx qualifies in this regard. I was told i had to show proof of this so i didn't bother to claim it.
I don't think it was a huge discount anyway.

This may help -

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... CN0445.pdf

Regardless, this unit is WELL worth the money.
Truly.

Excuse my ignorance but when do you pay the Customs duty. I have just ordered my Axe FX Ultra but know nothing about Customs stuff.

Should I be contacting a customs broker?

eeek :?

Kitch said:
Excuse my ignorance but when do you pay the Customs duty. I have just ordered my Axe FX Ultra but know nothing about Customs stuff.

Should I be contacting a customs broker?

eeek :?

The added fee that they are talking about is the tax, not the brokerage fee. The brokerage fee is fairly volatile depending on the shipper you use but taxes are taxes and there's really no avoiding them. If you use the postal service there often isn't any brokerage fees at all - just the tax. Other shippers like UPS Ground and Fed-Ex Ground charge absolutely insane brokerage fees. You can avoid brokerage fees all together if you have the original sending mark the package to go to the brokerage office in you area (if there happens to be one) and you can to the "broking" yourself for a minimal fee but you'll still have to pay the taxes. The only time I've been able to avoid getting taxes tacked on to by online purchased purchases is by use the postal services "air" service. It periodically skips the customs part of the whole thing. Of course that usually only happens on small-ish items, never on big expensive ones. Also, if you buy something under 20 (or maybe 25) dollars there's never tax or brokerage fees no matter what the shipping type or company.

Paying tax sucks but you'd be paying it if you bought the item in your local store anyway so it's not really something to get all bent out of shape about ;)

For all those that are unsure the process of importing an Axe FX Ultra into Australia (Sydney) I'll give you the run down.

I bought the unit online at the Fractal Audio yahoo store;

Axe FX Ultra $1,999.95 USD
Shipping Cost to Australia $134.95 USD

The total costs were as follows

Axe FX + Shipping Totaling $2,690.82 AUD
Mastercard International Transaction fee $79.38 AUD
Customs Duty $125.94 AUD
GST $281.47 AUD
Customs Entry Processing Fee $48.85 AUD

Final Total = $3,226.46 AUD

Customs make you fill out three forms to scan and email to customs;
1 Importer Details
2 Exporter Details
3 Import Declaration for the goods you are importing

You then need to provide the commercial Invoice (from the Yahoo Store) & proof of purchase (Transaction form my bank account)

They then processed the paper work and sent me a form to fill out with my banking details as soon as I send it they will release the Axe FX Ultra to continue its journey to my place.

Fingers crossed it is here by the end of the week :?

I hope this helps any of those people looking to purchase an axe in the near future.
Rock on
Kitch

Back
Top Bottom