Axe-Fx Delay block question

Billbill

Power User
hey guys, so I'm running a stereo setup with axe and 2 PPC212 cabs. I'm trying to figure out how to setup either a multiDelay or reg type delay (not sure which would be best for this), I want to have it ping pong left right and left again only very fast to where it's almost inaudible ponging, maybe parallel routing for this. I'm trying to experiment with making my stereo image sound doubled and fat. Any help is appreciated

why the ping pong, conceptually? vs say just a delay on both the left and right?

ping pong is used usually specifically to mean alternating left and right indefinitely.

try the Enhancer block, or try a delay set to Stereo Digital with a very short delay time.

why the ping pong, conceptually? vs say just a delay on both the left and right?

ping pong is used usually specifically to mean alternating left and right indefinitely.

try the Enhancer block, or try a delay set to Stereo Digital with a very short delay time.
Hey chris, yeah I'm already running the enhancer block. I tried the delay block with a short delay time but then I just have the same thing going on on left and right sides. What I'm hearing in my head is in fact the short delay thing, as you suggested, but also having it do a sort of quick ping ponging L/R/L instead of a short delay happening at the same time on both sides. That might sound weird or hard to imagine because I think of building patches from an engineer's perspective lol

Hey chris, yeah I'm already running the enhancer block. I tried the delay block with a short delay time but then I just have the same thing going on on left and right sides. What I'm hearing in my head is in fact the short delay thing, as you suggested, but also having it do a sort of quick ping ponging L/R/L instead of a short delay happening at the same time on both sides. That might sound weird or hard to imagine because I think of building patches from an engineer's perspective lol
Put the short delay in parallel with 100% mix. Then pan your "dry" signal to one side and your delayed signal to the other.

However, this is pretty much what the Haas delay effect does the I believe the Classic Enhancer does.

I think @Danny Danzi did a video on this...

...I want to have it ping pong left right and left again only very fast to where it's almost inaudible ponging, maybe parallel routing for this.
Use the Delay block, set for Dual Delay. Pan the two voices any way you like. Add another one for two more voices.

I think he's using it more for thickening than as a perceptible delay.
sure but i'm saying the "ping pong" thickening will probably not be different than just a dual delay, since we wouldn't be able to perceive the difference between those 2 options.

i think he's under the impression that a ping pong will be thicker, but i think it won't with such short delay times?

i think he's under the impression that a ping pong will be thicker, but i think it won't with such short delay times?
Panned delays (which I think is really what he's going after) will be thicker. The ping-pong part? Not so much, but it's another voice, and that'll help thicken it.

It won't sound exactly like a doubled part, but who knows?...maybe he'll discover something cool.

Panned delays (which I think is really what he's going after) will be thicker. The ping-pong part? Not so much, but it's another voice, and that'll help thicken it.

It won't sound exactly like a doubled part, but who knows?...maybe he'll discover something cool.
Yep I think I might be on to something interesting with this! I'll try the dual delay thing for sure thanks rex and fellas! There's so much to learn just in these delay blocks themselves! I think they're key to getting that thick and layered stereo sound, at least that's what I'm hearing when sort of reverse engineering professionally "doctored up" isolated guitar tracks of the pros.

try 2 mono cabs in parallel, choose cab types that are similar but not exactly the same, pan them hard and place a mono delay set between 12ms and 18ms on the right hand cab

hey guys, so I'm running a stereo setup with axe and 2 PPC212 cabs. I'm trying to figure out how to setup either a multiDelay or reg type delay (not sure which would be best for this), I want to have it ping pong left right and left again only very fast to where it's almost inaudible ponging, maybe parallel routing for this. I'm trying to experiment with making my stereo image sound doubled and fat. Any help is appreciated

Hey Bill, keep in mind, unless you're running through a stereo PA, all that thick stereo delay stuff is going to be subbed to mono and will sound phased and absolutely terrible.

Even if you use a stereo PA, one side of the crowd gets half of you, the other gets the other. In my opinion (and I'm as much a stereo snob as the tube amp snobs lol) unless you are playing huge arenas that are wired and set up for stereo all over the room, it's not even worth the trouble. You can do it for your head so you just hear it on stage and give the house your mono feed, but that's as far as I go. When you hear how phased it can be through the mains, it will make you change your mind. Do what you feel sounds the best, I'm just making you aware of the possibilities. Good luck!

Hey Bill, keep in mind, unless you're running through a stereo PA, all that thick stereo delay stuff is going to be subbed to mono and will sound phased and absolutely terrible.

Even if you use a stereo PA, one side of the crowd gets half of you, the other gets the other. In my opinion (and I'm as much a stereo snob as the tube amp snobs lol) unless you are playing huge arenas that are wired and set up for stereo all over the room, it's not even worth the trouble. You can do it for your head so you just hear it on stage and give the house your mono feed, but that's as far as I go. When you hear how phased it can be through the mains, it will make you change your mind. Do what you feel sounds the best, I'm just making you aware of the possibilities. Good luck!
Yeah every FOH system pretty much yielded the same results, the thin out of phase sound so I've made copies of my stereo patches that are all mono and that works better. Not ready to give up on it yet though, even if I gotta pull the mics back out

Yeah every FOH system pretty much yielded the same results, the thin out of phase sound so I've made copies of my stereo patches that are all mono and that works better. Not ready to give up on it yet though, even if I gotta pull the mics back out
How are mics going to help? The "problem" is a mono FOH...

Back
Top Bottom