Axe Fx Control options

GaryB

Inspired
Hey folks....I'm new to the forums and not yet a Fractal customer, but I'm doing my pre-buying research. I realize this is a question that has probably been asked over and over again (probably beat to death as well...), but since technology advances in the blink of an eye and new products seem to pop up even faster, I wanted to get recent perspective. That being said...

What is everyone using as far as foot controllers for the Axe Fx? I'm obviously looking at the MFC and EV pedals, but I also already own an old ART X-15 and some other MIDI pedals. I'm leaning towards the MFC just from the standpoint that Fractal's pedals are designed specifically to work with Fractal's gear, but if there's something else out there that I should be looking at, I want to get it on my radar. And....Go!

On the cheap, the Behringer FCB1010 is still pretty great. Before you splurge on the MFC try how your old stuff works. It's not like MIDI pedals have evolved that much over the years.

I use mine with half the pedals split to switch patches and the other half switches scenes. I also have a bank on the FCB1010 that operates the looper.

Like laxu said above, try out what you have first, and see if it'll do what you want it to do.

I'm also using an FCB1010, but it was a carryover from my previous rig. Stock firmware, but I added the phantom power mod. It can be updated with aftermarket firmware to give you a stompbox mode, but the stock FW has been doing what I need it to do.

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably be looking at the MFC for simplicity.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have an MFC, X-15 and an FC-300
for sheer programability the MFC beats them all
in addition, the MFC has all the sysex stuff so it integrates with the Axe exactly as you'd expect right away..
if you want to enhance / customise the way it works [as I have] it's very powerful
at first I didn't like the 3 rows of switches, but know I have my own config running on it, it all works really well

I did spend time trying to get the FC-300 working with the Axe because I prefer the switches [they're a nice big target, the action is nice and it's nice and low to the ground, plus I like the XP's], however from a programming standpoint it was missing key capabilities that are vital to me..
so I went back to the MFC and stayed with it ever since

I currently have both an MFC-101 Mk III, and a Mastermind GT10. They're both amazing controllers, but I've decided to use the GT10 on my touring board, largely because of the flexibility and deep programming possibilities. The MFC-101 is a fantastic controller, has plug-play connectivity to the AxeFX, and is built to last forever. I'm planning to sell the MFC-101 just because I have waaaaaay too much gear! Also going to sell a few power amps, guitars, pedalboards, etc. At any rate, if you're shopping for a foot controller, I will be selling that MFC.

I'm sure the MFC will have some issues if you want to use more MIDI devices then just the Axe, but the ability to not have to program in every preset, to have the MFC just seamlessly follow the presets on the Axe, yeah, that's worth something too. All I had to do was assign the expression pedals and decide how to use the instant access switches. Once I did that I can basically ignore the MFC and focus fully on the Axe.

I used an ART X-15 for a while that I had collecting dust in the closet. It works great but I just cant get around the "soft" touch buttons. Love having the 2 built in variable pedals and the tuner button but just too inconsistent with the buttons. I seemed to always be missing changes from not stepping on them hard enough. Programming wise it worked pretty good but there ya go. I use a Decibel Eleven switch DR. now as I dont need a lot of on the fly change. The 4 buttons plus an additional expression pedal works great and has a very small foot print and price. I use 1 preset per song and enable/disable effects with the press of a single button and/or expression pedal.

Yeah, the X-15's buttons are a bear. You have to stomp hard, and there's no tactile feedback.

Back
Top Bottom