Axe FX and Mackie mixers

DieHon

Hi guys!

I've bought an Axe FX II XL in order to ditch my entire rack and save my back. It's wonderful in front of my ac30 and in its loop too. Could not be happier! Never thought a digital overdrive would sound so good!

However, today a friend of mine invited me to play in a church and I went. I could not bring my amp to the local. My AC30 would probably be louder than the entire PA. Thus, I went direct to the PA.

The problem is that my sound was really thin and didn't cut into the mix. Clean sounds didn't have any "body". My heavier sounds sounded like crazy bees (or a DS1 :p).

I don't know what I did wrong. Both amp and power sims were on. I used a TS-TS cable into a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer. I think there is something I need to do with the mixer.

Any ideas? Axe FX should be fantastic in this regard.

Can we assume that if you are used to running your Axe FX in front of your amp your normally have the cab and power amp sims turned off?

Can we assume that if you are used to running your Axe FX in front of your amp your normally have the cab and power amp sims turned off?

Yes, you are right. But as I said in my first post, both amp and power sims were on when I played without the amp.

Seems you used mono guitar cables, the mackie mixers have balanced ins/outs you should use a TRS 1/4" cable or XLR cable.
On the mixer run the EQs flat and press the Low cut switch (only need these on for bass, keys and kicks)
That might help the sound?

Seems you used mono guitar cables, the mackie mixers have balanced ins/outs you should use a TRS 1/4" cable or XLR cable.
On the mixer run the EQs flat and press the Low cut switch (only need these on for bass, keys and kicks)
That might help the sound?

I thought the balanced cables only act avoiding noises. The output 1 reads "unbalanced" and I used unbalanced cables. Do you think this is the problem?

I'll try to use XLR, but I think they will clip the Mackie in.

The outputs are line level.. unbalanced vs balanced depends on how you are getting to the mixer.
If there's a snake, it will be balanced, so use XLR [balanced] cables to it.
If that still clips the mackie inputs - with gain/trim minimized on the console - then turn down your output 1 levels on the XL until you get an acceptable signal level.

I will ask since no one else has. Have you tweaked a patch for going direct? Taking your patch and turning on amp modeling and throwing an IR on there would not instantly yield killer direct to FOH tone.

I will ask since no one else has. Have you tweaked a patch for going direct? Taking your patch and turning on amp modeling and throwing an IR on there would not instantly yield killer direct to FOH tone.

I couldn't say It better! ;)
A real amp's speaker after the 6kH (not all at 6kH, I use it as a standard parameter) has a drop in the frequencies almost vertical until the 10kH...if you don't simulate that when you go direct to FOH you'll ear only crazy bees in your distorted sounds.

The outputs are line level.. unbalanced vs balanced depends on how you are getting to the mixer.
If there's a snake, it will be balanced, so use XLR [balanced] cables to it.
If that still clips the mackie inputs - with gain/trim minimized on the console - then turn down your output 1 levels on the XL until you get an acceptable signal level.

There is no snake. I plug direct into the mixer.

XLR to XLR or XLR (from Axe) to TRS?

No, I didn't. Any tips?

I couldn't say It better! ;)
A real amp's speaker after the 6kH (not all at 6kH, I use it as a standard parameter) has a drop in the frequencies almost vertical until the 10kH...if you don't simulate that when you go direct to FOH you'll ear only crazy bees in your distorted sounds.

How do I do this? I'm the kind of guy who plug the guitar into ac30 normal channel and don't mess wit any eq (there is no eq to mess with :p)

There is no snake. I plug direct into the mixer.

XLR to XLR or XLR (from Axe) to TRS?
Same principle.. and yes, XLR->XLR.
I don't believe there's a channel "pad" feature on the Mackie, so if your input channel trim/gain is minimized, you will need to adjust the send level from the XL front panel.

You I would make a patch just for direct application Use high and low cut to tast in cab block. Start with like 120 low 6k high and adjust from there. I always use the blue and silver IR's in a stereo cab panned center. Everyone says that FAS cab pack 18 is money in the bank for class A amps

Yes, you are right. But as I said in my first post, both amp and power sims were on when I played without the amp.

-No mention of the CAB IR in use... Did you add the CAB block to the preset that you utilized? (seems obvious, however, no harm in inquiring)

I play in a weekend warrior band (of 30 yrs :) ) that uses that same Mackie.

The best is to get XLR -> TRS cables and plug into the TRS line inputs. Be careful. The Inserts are close to the line inputs and you don't want the Insert jack (been there done that).

If you don't want to go the cable route, I also have the Radial JDI stereo DI. This will convert the *line* level XLR out of the Fractal to XLR out *microphone* level. Then you can use any mic cable and plug into the microphone input of the Mackie. No worries.

I don't know what I did wrong. Both amp and power sims were on.
There are no "amp and power sims" if you're talking about what's in the Global menu. there is Power Amp modeling and Cab Modeling though. i'm guessing you turned those on.

as others mentioned, you also need an Amp and Cab block in the preset - i would guess you added those and chose appropriate settings, but we can't assume anything in troubleshooting.

do know that simply adding a cab block doesn't always immediately mean "amazing sound." as with any device, you must explore at least a small range of settings and adjust them to your setup.

would you be able to upload the preset that you used with the PA system?

Guys, just a little update on this. Yesterday I played a gig with my regular band. The stage was really small and my AC30 would be massive for it. So I decided to try going direct again...

WOW!

What a difference! The sound was really good. We had some subs and some good quality speakers. Every amp sim was amazing! I used two stock amps, a fender one (I think it was preset number 4 or 5) and a Friedman BE. Stellar cleans and massive distortions! My silly strat sounded like a beast!

I'm really impressed. I used everything without tweaking and the tone was amazing! Stock wah, stock chorus, stock rotary... Man, I'll retire the AC30 and save my back!

This:

DSC06749_zpsyct9jsn0.jpg

Became this:

20160126_010507-1_zpsjwoymnc9.jpg

The challenge now is to make the Axe sound as good into the tiny church PA (containing two mackie SRM450 only).

Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom