Axe Fx and Garageband Dilemma (help peez)

Msantora

Hey everyone,
I am about to start recording some music but before I do I was wondering if anyone could help me out. As of now I am using garageband (it will soon be replaced with logic studio around christmas time) and am recording directly from my axefx in to a presonus firestudio. As a drum software I have drummer superior with the metal foundry and andy sneap presets. Lastly everything is heard through my Krk Rokit 6 monitors. So definitely think I have more then enough to make some solid metal recordings.

Now I have very little experience with mixing mastering so I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could perhaps provide the baby steps. People make it seem so easy (it probably is for them) but for me, it is difficult since I not familiar at all with this stuff. So whenever I try to come up with anything it sounds terrible because I am just blindly attempting things. I do read articles and go on other forums (so i do know somethings), but I just feel I need more one-on-one help. [I might even go to a recording camp by december.]

Im usually dissatisfied right at the beginning. I lay down a drum track and go straight to recording some guitars. Then I noticing things like the guitars sound weak, the mix isn't powerful and the overall draft of this recording completely sounds terrible.

So if there is anyone out there that could help me get some good mixes started that would be awesome!

I will even send my garageband files to whomever for progress. Just help a noob!

Thanks guys

hey.

unfortunately, what you are asking for is one of those things that can't be taught or simply told someone, it's a year long process.

keep in mind that you are trying to do on your own something that usually takes a bunch of gifted, creative individuals in the right environment.
You are the whole band (drummer, bass, guitars), the recording engineer, the producer and the mixing engineer. So you're basically doing the job of at least six people - quite easy to get frustrated, but being unhappy with what you achieve right now is probably the best way to learn.

My advice would be to play bass. :)
get the drums going, lay down a good tight bass track while trying to think and sound like a bass player, NOT a guitar player playing an octave lower. (even if that is what you are)
Once you get the fundament add a guitar track, if you add more, don't try to double, triple etc right away, but go for contrasting sounds. If you have a nice heavy rhythm guitar part for exsample, embellish it with a clean reverb/delay track.
Take frequent breaks and come back the the project again and again.
It takes time to sort out what's 'good' about an idea and what's not, especially if you are the one who played it.
Get a buddy to join you at these sessions, get a second opinion.

Don't overdue compression, it's probbaly the most common beginners mistake.

hope this helps a bit

Don is totally right.

It's not possible to guide someone in something so complex..if it was a question about connections, ext, then it would be easy enough..but the learning process for what you want is steep..even with as program as "simple" as GarageBand.

I would watch all the GarageBand tutorials on the apple site, YouTube, upgrade to 11 if you havn't already and get really familiar with GarageBand and recording before you even consider moving to Logic Studio..i did the same thing and was completely lost in Logic because i basically tried to run before i could even walk.

Steer away from plug-in chains and radical EQ's. If your mix doesn't sound good flat and without effects it's probably not going to sound good with the bells and whistles. Less is more.

Hey guys,
I completely agree with all of your comments and I appreciate you all taking the time to get back to me. The learning curve definitely is steep. I got to keep in mind that people make a career out of this while I am trying to do this on the side. Recording is no joke. If it was so easy then everyones recordings would sound amazing. I guess the only way I can really learn is to work with some professionals. Fortunately a local music store where I live will have a recording camp for beginners like myself. I get to work with a professional for a total of ten hours. I still wont be a professional when I finish but at least I can get started and have a decent idea where to begin and what to look for. So at least I will be heading in the right direction. I can't wait until I go to this recording camp! :D

...and then hopefully I can put something up here soon ^_^

So thanks for all of your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom