Axe fx against current set-up?

Boz

Hi, new here but have been looking and checking out the clips for a while and i am very tempted to get one,can anyone help me with a problem?
I have had many set-ups over the years,Racks,tube heads,vetta combo etc and i am very happy with my set-up at the moment apart from the lugging around!

Splawn Quickrod with TC Electronic G/System in the loop into Marshall 1960a 4x12.
Loop send from the G/System into Crate powerblock into cab with 15in speaker running dry.
This set up sounds huge but its a lot of gear!

Getting an Axe fx would mean selling most of this and i would hate to try and replace it all!

Can the Axe fx get me somewhere close to this?

Any help would be great,cheers Mick..

You're asking the standard question.

Can it replace the Splawn, and run routes to other equipment? Yes.

I suggest downloading the manual, and checking out the 'connections' forum for ideas on how to route. It's incredibly flexible. There's ALOT of information on this site and the WIKI, so much better to do some research.

Enjoy!

electronpirate said:

Can it replace the Splawn, and run routes to other equipment? Yes.

I suggest downloading the manual, and checking out the 'connections' forum for ideas on how to route. It's incredibly flexible. There's ALOT of information on this site and the WIKI, so much better to do some research.

Enjoy![/quot

Thanks for the reply,actually i have done a lot of research on the Axe fx as i would not consider spending this amount of money without doing so.Routing was not the question,the question was can i get a sound near to the gear that i already have, to save me lugging all of it around, i am in the UK and cant even find one to try out,i can listen to clips all day but clips can be misleading, cheers Mick..

Some body made a splawn patch for axe His friend had one, he A/B it off that . Patch did sound good to

I have a Splawn modified Marshall and a 20 something space rack full of stuff. My FX are supplied mostly a Lexicon MPX G2, which I am not in love with..it is OK at best, IMO and the Axe blows it away with out breaking a sweat.

The raw guitar tones of the Splawn can be approximated quite closely IMO... with a little tweaking I have got tones I Like more than the Splawn.

I will say I have gotten some monstrous tones from my Splawn in the past, and I don't know if it is my fond memory of those tones or it is for real...but I haven't quite found those tones again (although I can't find them in my Splawn either :cry: ).

So to make a short story long....I am very very close to selling the Splawn.

I honestly don't know why i haven't already....I haven't played it for probably a year or so.

Not trying to knock you.

But...

If you check every thread page here, you'll find a variation of 'can it emulate (insert tube amp)?'

The ONLY answer will ever be...buy one, and find out. Every ear is different, every amp is slightly different. Can the Axe-FX get there? Yes. Can it get there where you're satisfied? Don't know. And we can't answer that for you.

Listen. We kind of refer to these as 'introductory' posts. They vary the range of 'is it dynamic as a tube amp?', or, 'can I REALLY nail a Plexi?', but they all amount to the same thing. Announcing your presence and asking a question. No matter whether it's been asked 548 times before. Bottom line, get it and find out.

Admittedly, there's a HUGE learning curve here. The first thing is figuring out how to run it. AFX - Poweramp - cab, FRFR, whatever. Once you do that, you have a huge world of 'Work it out!' to muddle through. We are here to help with the details, but the big stuff you have to do yourself...based on your judgement.

Well worth the trouble!

Ron

Can the Axe do great tube amp sound? Yes. Can it do approximations of the best amps out there? Yes. Does it satisfy? It does to me. Hugely more than anything I had before. But I never had a Splawn. :D The Axe does a fantastic Hot-rodded Marshall, though. And SLO's, Fryettes, Cornfords, etc... Not to mention the Mesa's.

Will it sound the same as your multi-cab WDW setup with only one speaker? No. There is no way to accurately simulate a WDW setup than with a WDW setup. Maybe with three speakers... Also several people have found it disappointing at first to find an "amp in the room" sound. Although good cab selection and an amount of tweaking usually got them close.

Great sound: yes. The same: possible, but probably not.

Spawn-X said:
electronpirate said:

Can it replace the Splawn? Yes.

WHAT?!?! You talking to me?...

:lol: :roll: :arrow:
Well... I think Electronpirate has indeed no need of your services anymore now that he has an Axe-FX...

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Boz, where you based? Im in Manchester....I replaced my CAE 3+SE/4x4/G-force/ for the Axefx, thought I would never get rid of my Pre-amp and G-force, I direct comparision for the 14 days free from G66 and spent 24/7 playing and tweeking... and then sold all my CAE stuff...no problems

Now run WDW - massive sound - Axefx/8008marshall poweramp/mesaboogie 2:90/ 2 x bogner 1 x 12s/ 1 x Marshall 4 x 12....sounds awesome

This 14 day loan period still applies I think ...ask Sussi at G66 they are brilliant

I would recommend ordering one on your credit card....30 days before you have to pay the money ..! and then do direct comparsions ....you will have to put some serious time in with the Axefx to get YOUR sound...

If your happy send the Axefx back ..(.will cost you postage !!!)

Sell your gear and get set to have the best sound you have ever had !

2 pennies !

you sound like me 3 weeks ago....i was scared i couldnt get the mesa sounds i have had for years...and have played nothing but high end tube amps...being there is nowhere to test one i had to buy to test... right out of the box i was disappointed and wanted to send it back,,even sent for a RA#....but after starting with a blank patch as others instructed.. and adding only what i needed..i have found MY.. sound...and sadly to say the rectifier sounds that i was wanting the axe to replace is very seldom used...although they are awesome in the axe...there are so many other sounds that are amazing its hard to stay with just a single sound..i find myself playing the soldano,cae,freyette,and corncob..most.....and those are really opposite of the rectifier sounds i have loved since 1994... so dont be surprised if you want to replace the splawn sound and end up using something totally different in the axe...my mesa amps never cut through the mix or had the dynamics for solo's like the axe...not to mention tube amps sound different every place you play them..(my impression)...im sold and will never look back.

The best amp I've ever had or played through was a 1987x Marshall that I had Scott Splawn modify for me. I've never gotten a sound out of any other amp or the Axe-FX that was as good as that modded Marshall.

It was a single channel amp so I asked if he could add a clean channel - he said to order the Quick Rod. So I sold the 1987x. Worst amp move I've ever made. The Quick Rod came, it was very good but didn't have the same magic. Sigh...

My suggestion would be to find someone near to you that has an Axe-Fx that you can try out. People here are pretty friendly and love to get the word out about the Axe-Fx anyways, so you'll probably find many people wanting to help you out. If there's no one near you with an Axe-Fx, then use the 14 day trial period. Lastly, if worse comes to worst and neither of those options works for you, I'd suggest selling the G system and replace it with the Axe-Fx. Even if after some time you feel that your Splawn is better than the amp models in the Axe-Fx that you can't let go fo the Splawn, the Axe-Fx can 100% replace everything in the G system so that you won't miss anything there.

As the guy above has said, never sell an amp that you already love in the hopes that something else will replace it. If you had said that you were never 100% satisfied with your Splawn then I'd say go for it. But, if you love the tone of your Splawn already, then you should test drive an Axe-Fx first before selling what you love. The best thing to do would be to buy the Axe-Fx and not sell anything. Then, use the Axe-Fx for 6 months and see where you're at and what you can sell. If the Axe-Fx doesn't work for you, you won't lose much money reselling it as they're still reletively new. If the Axe-Fx sounds better than your Splawn after 6 months, then sell your Splawn then. Chances are it might be worth the same then as it is now...maybe even more. Don't trade something you love until you really test drive what you're trading it for.

You're making a $2000 decision. Treat it like that. Take your time, weigh ALL the options and make the right choice.

electronpirate said:
Not trying to knock you.

But...

If you check every thread page here, you'll find a variation of 'can it emulate (insert tube amp)?'

The ONLY answer will ever be...buy one, and find out. Every ear is different, every amp is slightly different. Can the Axe-FX get there? Yes. Can it get there where you're satisfied? Don't know. And we can't answer that for you.

Listen. We kind of refer to these as 'introductory' posts. They vary the range of 'is it dynamic as a tube amp?', or, 'can I REALLY nail a Plexi?', but they all amount to the same thing. Announcing your presence and asking a question. No matter whether it's been asked 548 times before. Bottom line, get it and find out.

Admittedly, there's a HUGE learning curve here. The first thing is figuring out how to run it. AFX - Poweramp - cab, FRFR, whatever. Once you do that, you have a huge world of 'Work it out!' to muddle through. We are here to help with the details, but the big stuff you have to do yourself...based on your judgement.

Well worth the trouble!

Ron

Thanks Ron,i see your point and understand what you are saying.I should have realised that you have had this type of question many times and its hard to answer as everybody hears a different sound when it comes to it.Anyway thanks for the reply and the advice..cheers Mick.

Thanks for the replies everyone,is there anyone with an Axe fx anywhere near London that i could try?
If not i guess i will get busy on ebay and order one when i have the funds!! :D

Prior to using my Axe FX, I was gigging with a Germino Club 40 that sounds fantastic, but is basically a one trick pony and I wanted more versatility. The Axe FX gives me that with a great sound, but I will never sell the Germino - it has its own sound and response that I love.

You can get some great sounds from the Axe FX, but it has a learning curve and takes patience when you first start digging into it. Your ears are your most valuable tool when it comes to tweaking the FX, and only you can pass judgement on what you're hearing.

Bottom line - the Axe FX is an awesome tool, but it's not a 100 percent spot-on amp simulator. The sounds you get from it rest entirely on just how you dial it in.

Back
Top Bottom