Axe Fx 3 with a MLC dual stereo line mixer - phase issue

swicker

Hey there everyone!
New to the digital party here….

I have a stereo line mixer issue

If I connect guitar to preamp, preamp out to this mlc dual stereo line mixer, then that into power amp and cabs… sounds great!

And if I do that same rig, with rack fx… sounds great….

As my goal is to downsize my rack…. My thought is ditch the rack fx and just use the axe fx thru the mixer….
As if I go preamp to axe fx to power amp direct… I hear digital tones I don’t like…

I hope to run axefx thru mixer to still keep my analog tone running thru, and just be able to engage digital fx

BUT…
it seems there’s a phase issue I can’t get rid of when I plug into the mixer with axefx

Sounds hollow enough to be annoying and not feel right….
I’ve checked my I/O and that’s set up right, I even flip the phase there and it goes from bad phase to worse….

On the app, I’ve created the channel correct (I think)…. If I bypass the input (aka take axe out of the loop) sounds normal

But I engage the axe fx, phase comes back….

Anyone know if I can in fact even use the axe fx as a rack fx thru my stereo line mixer?

Any advice would help, again I’m new to this (meaning I’m not fully versed in axe fx so detailed help would help), but I do understand concepts, so I’m not new to the entire wiring and understanding game.
:)

And happy new year everyone! I’m taking the bold leap of incorporating digital into my signal…. Recovered Analog cork sniffer here hahhaha

(Again, if I bypass all axe fx pedal, all set to thru…. It passes phased tone… and I get that’s dry tone going back into the mixer…. So if I engage a delay, I’ll set it to 100% wet…. Which normally sound just pass delay with a normal rack unit…. This can do that, minus this inherent phase sound by just connecting the unit and having it in line)

It sounds like you are letting the digital dry through. You have to always have to have at least one effect at 100% mix on every row between the input and the output. I have a few rack units, and they are all like this. It is just a side effect of having an analog dry and a digital dry mixing.

I almost always have the input to a reverb to the output. The reverb mix is at 100%, and the level to taste. Then, if you want more effects, add them in parallel, with all of the mixes at 100%, using level to set how much effect you want.

I have been playing with something similar lately also. I dont have an Axe III, but I have been using an Axe II and a FM3. I also notice running straight through them after the preamp, before the poweramp, it does something to the tone and feel I don't like. I started putting them through my line mixer like my Lexicon and TC Electronic units, and I am getting good results like that.

Hey there Shask

Thanks again for your help and advice
Yes! It is a dry signal issue ….

There’s no, say, global setting to just pass fx signal? Like on rack effects

I am aware of the 100% wet, and needing to not have a dry signal passing thru

or mayb the answer is putting a effect at the end of the chain that mutes during bypass so it kills the entire line signal? Or I guess I can just kill (bypass) the input itself entirely ?

Question as I don’t have a foot pedal to control axefx3….. can I assign a button on the foot controller to control that input on/bypass?

Hey there Shask

Thanks again for your help and advice
Yes! It is a dry signal issue ….

There’s no, say, global setting to just pass fx signal? Like on rack effects

I am aware of the 100% wet, and needing to not have a dry signal passing thru

or mayb the answer is putting a effect at the end of the chain that mutes during bypass so it kills the entire line signal? Or I guess I can just kill (bypass) the input itself entirely ?

Question as I don’t have a foot pedal to control axefx3….. can I assign a button on the foot controller to control that input on/bypass?
No, there is no automatic kill dry function, like what TC Electronics units have.

If you want to turn off effects, the easiest way is to set their mute type to "Mute FX in". Or at least use something similar, other than "Thru". You do not want to use Thru, because that will let the digital dry through.

You can either shut the effect off and use the Mute FX In mute type, by either assigning a switch, or assigning the state within a scene, or you could also not switch it off and turn the level of the effect to like -50db or something instead. I would probably just bypass them in a scene, then you could set up different scenes for different effect combinations.

Back
Top Bottom