Axe-Fx 3 Rack Case Suggestions

Zach Haley

Another newbie question! I am planning on playing live again once the apocalypse is over. I am looking at different rack cases for the Axe Fx3. I am liking the idea of going with a deeper rack case so that I can have the cords/cables plugged in and left alone. This will be my first attempt at building out a rack. Outside of the Axe Fx, I am planning on keeping it pretty simple. Probably some kind of power unit, maybe a tuner (though I know that the AF3 has one so that may not be needed), possibly some kind of wireless unit (like the Line6 one)... however, I am a bit nervous about wear and tear on the Axe Fx3 inputs and outputs. I am curious as to what ideas or setups folks have that allow for the Axe Fx3 to be plugged into other units within a rack so that there is no actual plugging in or unplugging on the Axe Fx itself from show to show. Hope that makes sense...

I use a 4U SKB roto, it's fairly shallow, but my patch cables from my wireless, and the FreqOut that lives in there in Loop 3 stay connected all the time. I only plug/unplug the FASLink to my FC12, and Out 1 to my CLR. I don't even worry about it, the AxeFX is built with good parts. If I wear out a jack I'll just replace it. I doubt I ever will.

OSP makes shock cases for a decent price. It has front and rear rails - i threw together a patch bay that is mounted on the rear so i never have to plug directly in and out of the AF3.

I went with a SKB SHALLOW case (unit size does not really matter).
It is a tight for the AXE III but if you use ANGLED connectors (for XLR, Jacks, Power, USB,.) it's perfect. Really nice & sleek looking on top of a angled cab. Also less bulky to move!

I'm even able to built a patch panel in mine, this ofcourse because I have a 6U and the Matrix GT1600 is a bit shorter than the AXE III.

Another newbie question! I am planning on playing live again once the apocalypse is over. I am looking at different rack cases for the Axe Fx3. I am liking the idea of going with a deeper rack case so that I can have the cords/cables plugged in and left alone. This will be my first attempt at building out a rack. Outside of the Axe Fx, I am planning on keeping it pretty simple. Probably some kind of power unit, maybe a tuner (though I know that the AF3 has one so that may not be needed), possibly some kind of wireless unit (like the Line6 one)... however, I am a bit nervous about wear and tear on the Axe Fx3 inputs and outputs. I am curious as to what ideas or setups folks have that allow for the Axe Fx3 to be plugged into other units within a rack so that there is no actual plugging in or unplugging on the Axe Fx itself from show to show. Hope that makes sense...
I have mine in a basic Gator shallow shallow molded case. I am able to leave cables and connectors in place, roll them up and store them in the case lid, even with straight connectors. With right-angle connectors, there would be TONS of space available.

1616253502362660504348344560241-jpg.80309

I have an SKB short roto rack 4U. Outstanding case and easy to carry and use. I modified mine with some larger bottom feet. I run a patch panel in the open 1U and have a smaller Furman power supply mounted at the bottom of the case. It is the most perfect setup for me. I run a couple of rack feet and have it tilted up at my on the floor. Everything plugs in via the Neutriks I wired into the front panel.
Works amazing!

For about 2 years I was using a Gator-Pro molded plastic rack with a 19" depth. More than enough space for me to mount a power strip, contain all extra cabling (midi and control switch bundle, FOH and mic bundled XLRs), a few extra pedals, and a pedal power. Light weight, looked purely utilitarian. Fastforward to pandemic times and my wife hated looking at, so I sprung for a Casesmith custom tolex rack w/ a 14" depth and covers for the front and back. I tried to craft some grillcloth and piping space plates to match one of my cabs, though I might try to redo that sometime in the future (top plate uses magnets for easy access to the pedals on top). I wouldn't want to go any shallower than 14" if keeping anything plugged in, and had to go to 6 space to accommodate the extra pedals and extra cabling. Heavier than the Gator Pro, but looks much better. The Gator Vintage is somewhat similar, but a shallower depth and no covers.
IMG_1476.jpg

63762059942__ECEBBFB2-2215-4EDD-85DD-B475D2C956B3.jpg

For about 2 years I was using a Gator-Pro molded plastic rack with a 19" depth. More than enough space for me to mount a power strip, contain all extra cabling (midi and control switch bundle, FOH and mic bundled XLRs), a few extra pedals, and a pedal power. Light weight, looked purely utilitarian. Fastforward to pandemic times and my wife hated looking at, so I sprung for a Casesmith custom tolex rack w/ a 14" depth and covers for the front and back. I tried to craft some grillcloth and piping space plates to match one of my cabs, though I might try to redo that sometime in the future (top plate uses magnets for easy access to the pedals on top). I wouldn't want to go any shallower than 14" if keeping anything plugged in, and had to go to 6 space to accommodate the extra pedals and extra cabling. Heavier than the Gator Pro, but looks much better. The Gator Vintage is somewhat similar, but a shallower depth and no covers.
View attachment 81413

View attachment 81411

I also use a Casesmith case. Mine doesn’t have the front or back covers though.
Quick high jack: What’s the model of that Anderson Tele style?

Using this rolling rack SKB (deep) 6u. Liking it thus far. I don’t have the rack panel portion yet but would like to incorporate one as well. Have to make one at some point.

1618004205617.jpeg

I also use a Casesmith case. Mine doesn’t have the front or back covers though.
Quick high jack: What’s the model of that Anderson Tele style?
The Anderson is a Classic Hollow T. Body contours, maple on alder. It’s my favorite out of my current stable of 4 electrics in rotation and numerous others that have come and gone. Never thought I was a tele guy or down with non-natural finishes, but there it is.

Here is mine.
I went with a Gator Pro Series 4U. Since the Shure is only a half rack space, I decided to make all of my connections on the mounting bracket.
This way I never have to take the back of the rack off. Its been working out great!

Rack Bracket.jpgAF3 rack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom