Axe-Fx 3 Rack Case Suggestions

I have a 6U 19" deep gator roto case for my axe 3, Crest pro-lite power amp, and furman power. I had wireless squeezed into the back but I pulled it out because I haven't been gigging in a year for obvs reasons. Paid around $120 for it and it's treated me well.

For cables in/out: I have four total cables that drop out the back for a gig:
  1. XLR for DI to soundboard
  2. XLR for footswitch
  3. Speaker cable to cab
  4. Power cable from furman
I just have that bundle ziptied in the back and coiled up so I can just pop the back panel of the case, drop out the cable 'snake', hand the XLR to sound guy, and go about my business.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_133514086.jpg
    PXL_20210415_133514086.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
After waiting over a month for these to catch up to the demand I chose this.. made by Gator.. you can also get one in a 4U size if ya wanna couple it with a power amp.. I chose one that fits just the Axe since I use a Powercab+ 112. It’s only about $180 and looks great.

View attachment 81766
View attachment 81767
What's that front cover made of? Would you be ok with it in the back of the truck, stacked with the rest of the gear?

Dude. All that rack casing and no room for a 1U power amp? You have too much stuff! LOL. ;)
For about 2 years I was using a Gator-Pro molded plastic rack with a 19" depth. More than enough space for me to mount a power strip, contain all extra cabling (midi and control switch bundle, FOH and mic bundled XLRs), a few extra pedals, and a pedal power. Light weight, looked purely utilitarian. Fastforward to pandemic times and my wife hated looking at, so I sprung for a Casesmith custom tolex rack w/ a 14" depth and covers for the front and back. I tried to craft some grillcloth and piping space plates to match one of my cabs, though I might try to redo that sometime in the future (top plate uses magnets for easy access to the pedals on top). I wouldn't want to go any shallower than 14" if keeping anything plugged in, and had to go to 6 space to accommodate the extra pedals and extra cabling. Heavier than the Gator Pro, but looks much better. The Gator Vintage is somewhat similar, but a shallower depth and no covers.
View attachment 81413

View attachment 81411

I use this 4U SKB case which is designed to fit the Helix+Kemper racks + their floor controller units on top. https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1187&o=&offset=&c=75&s=75. I Just cut some of the foam off the plastic insert and it works perfectly for the AX3+FC12. There's a short patch cable from the wireless that stays permanently connected to the AX3 rear input 1, and I just plug XLR to FOH. I have a Furman M-8x2 mounted in the back behind the wireless which is permanently connected to the AX3 with a short right angle IEC. Pics are from when I first got the AX3 but it's been working great for over a year now. I went with this case so that I don't have to have two separate cases for when I fly. It's shallow but there's room for a few cables in the back.

IMG_9051.jpg
IMG_8624.jpg

I went with a SKB SHALLOW case (unit size does not really matter).
It is a tight for the AXE III but if you use ANGLED connectors (for XLR, Jacks, Power, USB,.) it's perfect. Really nice & sleek looking on top of a angled cab. Also less bulky to move!

I'm even able to built a patch panel in mine, this ofcourse because I have a 6U and the Matrix GT1600 is a bit shorter than the AXE III.
ditto. SKB Roto 4U Shallow:cool::cool:

Here is mine.
I went with a Gator Pro Series 4U. Since the Shure is only a half rack space, I decided to make all of my connections on the mounting bracket.
This way I never have to take the back of the rack off. Its been working out great!

View attachment 81435
i love that 1/2U patch panel. Any background on the build history (DIY?) or where you sourced the parts?
NICE JOB on the USB - esp. love that!

Number two completed:

013C960B-3B77-496E-BFC2-947432347F31.jpeg
6885EE73-F7D5-4F83-A351-54AFE5A9DD81.jpeg

8B4356EA-9135-446B-8A49-79BCBB263A9A.jpeg
EFD497A6-AA3F-4DBD-80FB-EA7E8ACA3A5E.jpeg
C7911EA2-6542-4493-B7BE-AF654EDD8BBC.jpeg297CFD2E-82CF-47A1-ABB7-174D7FF08F47.jpegC9AA1CA8-33E3-4BAC-9E04-A546771191B8.jpeg

This too started as a used equipment case off of eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom