Axe FX 3 not Connecting to any Computer via USB

oelsayed791

Hello,
I have an AXE FX 3 I bought in Mid 2020. It has been working fine with my PC (Windows) via Axe Edit with no issues till recently. I currently have 18.03 Firmware (updated in Dec 21st, 2021), USB Firmware 1.08 and FPGA 16. Here is what is going on:

I tried connecting my Axe to Axe Edit one day, and the Axe would not communicate with my computers (Windows PC's). Here are the symptoms:

1. On Axe Edit 3, it shows 'Disconnected!' on the interface.
2. On the FASUSBAudio Control Panel, it shows 'No Device Connected'
3. On Fractal Bot, the Input Port shows '<none>' and the Output Port shows '<none>' and 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth'.
4. I do not hear the Windows sound when you plug in a USB device.
5. Ableton will not read it unless it is connected via a soundcard (I have a 2i2 Focusrite Scarlet).

I looked through the forums and followed what others have said:
1. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Axe Edit 3, Fractal Bot and the USB Driver
2. I tried multiple USB cables on my laptop's USB ports, my PC's USB ports (from USB 2.0 to USB 3.1)
3. I tried the same thing on a friend's PC (which he uses for his Axe FX 2 just fine).
4. I tried my sister's Mac.
4. I tried playing with the I/O settings (currently on Digital Input Source 'AES', SPDIF/AES Out Source 'Output 1', USB Output 7.8 Source 'Input 2', USB Output Mapping '1/2 -> Out1, 3/4 -> Out2', USB Buffer Size '256'.
5. I realized there's a USB Firmware update for all USB version before 1.11 (mine is at 1.08). However, I am unable to even update that because my Axe cannot communicate via USB at all.

At this point, I am out of options to try. I have my Axe in a heavily fortified flight case with internal hard foam padding. I keep it safe and do not treat it badly. I do live in Egypt, where dust is a big issue all the time.

My questions are as follows:
1. Is there anything I am missing in terms of troubleshooting here? Are there any other things I can try to fix this issue?
2. Could this be a hardware issue? If so, is there a way for me to test it externally (i.e. using a multimeter and test out the USB port on the Axe)? I want to try all possible options since I live overseas, and bringing it in for repair is not much of a feasible option
3. Are there other ways to connect to Axe Edit 3 (i.e. via MIDI or SPDIF) so that I can just work around this issue for now until I can get it fixed when I come to the US?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

FYI you don't need Fractalbot separately, it's built into Axe-Edit.

Most likely the issue is either the USB port is broken or the cable you use is broken if you did not try a different one.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I ended-up contacting FAS support and shipping the unit in for repair. Then, FAS had to send it to an outside vendor to do the repair work. It was a lengthy process, but it's back and working like a champ. Good luck.

If you are one of those who refuses to read manuals or search for information at least read this:

99% OF THE TIME THE PROBLEM IS A CABLE OR CONNECTOR.

I used to have this on a sign in my office at my old job. Whenever a salesman or tech would come into my office all panicked I would point to the sign.

One day a sales technician came into my office and said "The System 5000 down at NOAA has failed. You gotta fly down there and fix it". I pointed to the sign. He says "No, they checked all the cables and connectors and they're sure something failed. They're getting telemetry errors". I pointed to the sign again.

A couple hours he comes back all sheepish and says "Uh, yeah, turns out someone ran over the deck cable with a forklift and didn't tell anyone. They replaced the cable and it's working fine now".

Same thing here, but mine took a header at the same time the PC‘s motherboard failed. Figured there was some feedback to the port. Anyway my FM9 showed up and it’s just pure laziness on my part for not contacting support and getting it sent in for a quick fix. Other than the USB port fried - it works like a champ!

Doesn’t register on multiple PC‘s and laptops and multiple cables. Good news is, swapped out the motherboard in that PC and the CPU and memory etc, survived, so.. silver linings I call that. :0)

Back
Top Bottom