Axe fx 3 bass tones?

Yes everything I described is my preferred strategy for extremely downtuned modern metal bass. Again I’m a guitar player so I can’t be bothered with buying bass gear. Everything I do is “inside the box”. By chance are you running an older firmware? The B7K model from Fractal used to be pretty low output, but it was fixed in the last year. I have no problem balancing the distortion and clean/fundamentals. The actual B7K pedal just has a mix knob for blending in your clean DI, but I prefer the method I detailed in an earlier post. It functions more like the Darkglass X Ultra.
Sorry, didn't click that you'd already posted. Will check out what you've described there. Using the last non-beta firmware

I like to use crossover/filter blocks to split the signal in two - everything above roughly 800 hz and everything below. Send the high end to the Darkglass B7K and keep everything below clean. You can keep the low end as a DI, but I like the results I get merging them into amp and cab blocks. You keep the mix at 100% on the B7K, dial drive to taste and balance the two signals to your liking. I also put a compressor at the start of the chain and another on the low side, low ratios.
Do you mean that you bring the 2 paths back into one amp or keep the rows separate with separate amp blocks? Also not sure what you mean by the low side?

Do you mean that you bring the 2 paths back into one amp or keep the rows separate with separate amp blocks? Also not sure what you mean by the low side?
I merge them both into one amp and one cab block. As you can see in this Leon Todd video around 9:15, you can also run the low side straight to the output, essentially keeping your low fundamentals as a DI. I just prefer it my way, but your mileage may vary.

2 amp chains in parallel, both using the Mesa 400 model. Fat Rat or B7K Drive in front of one for grind that goes into 4x12 Darkglass IRs I captured. Optical Comp behind the other for the clean into DG 8X10s I captured.

An 8 inch speaker in a monitor for bass guitar seems off. Though it says it has a frequency response down to 36Hz I can assure you it won't behave like a 12" speaker for a bass. Personally I wouldn't go less than 12". If that's not the problem, then maybe someone else can chime in.
You need a room sized for the half-wavelength of the lowest note you want to hear without getting sucked up by room modes. It won't matter if you have a 24" woofer if you are in a 10x12 room. See:

1664600314483.png

from: https://www.acousticfields.com/wavelengths-in-our-rooms/

Edit: I have a 19.5' control room so I can hear the low B on a five string bass.

Last edited:
I had a bit of a win with adding a fuzz block in parallel with the distorted amp to add some more distortion to the tone. The fundamental is still overpowering over 8 or 9 fret on the low string. Also going to investigate a smaller string than 150 for the low g# to see if that will be functional.

Anyone got any insight about how to add distortion without it being excessively sharp and obnoxious? Low cut frequencies on distortion channel etc

Sounds like you want to keep clear of anything darkglass then.... try the dug pinnik tech 21 pedal.

A lot of the more modern distortios have that higher end spike.... the mix does cut it out a bit but soloed it’s pretty nasty.

Also some people will fun a parallel path but on the distortion side cut it on the lows and highs. Ola had a good video somewhere showing it

Back
Top Bottom