Axe Fx 2 -> Matrix GT1000FX -> Mono 4x12 cabling

RockerAlex

Inspired
So I was having a look at the back of my Axe FX today to plug the USB cable in and I thought to myself ... should I not have cables coming out of both L and R Output at the back into the Matrix? Right now I just run L into "A" on the GT1000FX, but surely I'm missing out on "half" of my signal if it's coming out in stereo?

Depends on your patches. If you don't have anything stereo going on, then you're not losing anything other than a duplicate of the signal you're already getting.

Connecting the R to channel B will mean you'll need a cab on the end of channel B's output.

You're not doing anything wrong.

Depends on your patches. If you don't have anything stereo going on, then you're not losing anything other than a duplicate of the signal you're already getting.

Connecting the R to channel B will mean you'll need a cab on the end of channel B's output.

You're not doing anything wrong.

So you sure that I'm getting my full signal through the Axe? It's output is set to "Stereo" in the I/O.

Like I said, it depends on your patches. If you created a patch that uses stereo effects or has some kinda panning going on, then no, you won't get everything. If your patches are setup to simulate a "traditional" rig then you'll be fine.

Like I said, it depends on your patches. If you created a patch that uses stereo effects or has some kinda panning going on, then no, you won't get everything. If your patches are setup to simulate a "traditional" rig then you'll be fine.

I assume that's what I have going on ... Just a amp block into a filter and reverb, nothing fancy at all.

I run my Axe-FX II into two Marshall 4x12 cabs. I don't think I'll ever be able to go into mono ever again. :) There is such a fullness and great sound in stereo that I'd miss.

I run my setup the same exact way... Matrix GT-1000 to Marshall cab... whether it's stereo or not I don't notice any difference in sound... other than the fucking massive wall of sound that is already coming through the cab!!!

Yeh, change your OP fro Stereo to Copy L>R. If you DO have anything stereo going on, the Right side will appear at the L O/P as well. Using one cab wont give you anything in stereo anyway, so its not really worth bothering with. If you had a second cab it might be worth playing with.

Yeh, change your OP fro Stereo to Copy L>R. If you DO have anything stereo going on, the Right side will appear at the L O/P as well. Using one cab wont give you anything in stereo anyway, so its not really worth bothering with. If you had a second cab it might be worth playing with.

Ok thanks, I've had it set to stereo this whole time ... I can't hear much of a difference between the 2 settings but I'll take your word for it!

You mean Sum L&R, no?

You mean Sum L&R, no?
Was thinking this myself ....

Edit: Means any stereo fx get both their sides summed into 2x mono outs for the Outputs in question - need to be careful the FX doesn't cause itself to sound out of phase tho.

You won't really if you're running "mono". As much as the axe will put out signal to both L&R regardless, if the patches aren't stereo, it'll put the exact same signal to both outputs. Thus using just the L, even if output is set to stereo will be all good.

Copy L to R does just that, you'll get no difference in your L signal.

Summing them together will only really make a difference if you have stereo effects and as mentioned, you need to be careful with phasing.

Stereo and using the L only is my preferred method, I just make sure my patches are "mono".

Thanks, I think I've got my head around it now ... When I'm picking reverbs, delays and choruses I make sure not to touch stereo anyhow.

I run my Axe-FX II into two Marshall 4x12 cabs. I don't think I'll ever be able to go into mono ever again. :) There is such a fullness and great sound in stereo that I'd miss.
Are you using this setup for gigs? Do you have a PA system that the guitar is routed to or do you use the backline only? If PA, how are you sending the signal? Direct from Axe or mic'ing one (or both) of the cabs?

My questions are posed in this manner, because any stereo guitar cab effect is generally lost for live use. You may hear the effect on stage, but the audience seldom gets the "fullness" you hear.

Back
Top Bottom