Axe-fx 2 for the aussies!!!

At a guess i'm thinking it would be similar to the current price of an Ultra. What worries me more-so is the wait time before we are able to get out hands on one. I waited almost 3 months for my ultra last year and 5 months for my MFC.

how much was the last price for the ultra in australia?

About $3300. Which is why I bought 2nd hand from the states. I literally saved a bit over $1000. I'm not made of money.

However that price was set when the exchange rate was well below the USD. I suspect the new price will be around the $2700 mark... considering the exchange rate is now in our favour. Also there was a lot of nashing of teeth because the aussie distro couldn't get stock, not sure if that'll improve or not yet. You'll just have to wait and see.

About $3300. Which is why I bought 2nd hand from the states. I literally saved a bit over $1000. I'm not made of money.

However that price was set when the exchange rate was well below the USD. I suspect the new price will be around the $2700 mark... considering the exchange rate is now in our favour. Also there was a lot of nashing of teeth because the aussie distro couldn't get stock, not sure if that'll improve or not yet. You'll just have to wait and see.

I think thats being very optimistic :D
hopefully every market at least gets some supply at the start to

IF it is $2700 I think thats a decent enough price ....I could handle that!

Anything over $2500 is less than fair.

I doubt this will happen though, I predict us Aussies will get bent over and charged $3500 at least, which is ridiculous given the current exchange rate.

well the aussie distributor sells ultra's for $2900 don't they? even with the dollar being strong.
So I would imagine the Axe-FxII being about $3100 - $3200, which is a bit ordinary seeing as the aussie dollar is stronger than the usd but i guess it is what it is, that's what we get for living here.

I am more worried about availability, i purchased my ultra before there was an aussie distributor so i got mine pretty quick compared to most, i am really hoping fractal allocate a decent amount of units to the australian distributor when they release to the rest of the world.

It's funny because the ultra's and standards are generally always out of stock so fractal must realise the more they produce the more they will sell, i don't think they have ever had a surplus of units in stock? That's business though it's a balancing act. I would have thought that they would be more financially positioned now for stock availability to not be an issue, here's hoping.

Anything over $2500 is less than fair.
I agree. Given the strong exchange rate, anything above what they pay in the US should only be the minimal costs (in bulk) of getting it shipped here, plus the GST we'd pay. Which makes it pretty close the $2500.
I got my Ultra from the US (before Australian distribution started) without paying any duty (I spoke to customs before-hand, so it was all above board), so that should be able to happen again.

Not that I want one now, but if I decide I do, and the price is any more than ~$2500 (with the exchange rate still in our favour) you can guarantee I'd just get a friend to buy it in the states and ship it over for me.
I couldn't give a rats about warranty issues. It's a high enough quality product that that doesn't concern me.

Last edited:
I'd pay $2500AUD. $2199USD = $2026AUD at the minute. If they can't manage that I'll use a broker.

I agree. Given the strong exchange rate, anything above what they pay in the US should only be the minimal costs (in bulk) of getting it shipped here, plus the GST we'd pay. Which makes it pretty close the $2500.
I got my Ultra from the US (before Australian distribution started) without paying any duty (I spoke to customs before-hand, so it was all above board), so that should be able to happen again.

How about taking into account the fact that they're a business and aside from covering their overheads, they have to also actually make a profit?!?! And for such a low volume unit (especially so in Australia), they're going to have to make a decent amount on each unit to make it worth them doing it at all. It's not like they just love the Axe-FX so much that they want to distribute them here, but are happy to just break even on it.

And while I'm guessing here, I don't imagine they're shipping in pallets of these things at a time, so this bulk shipping you're talking about probably just doesn't apply.

Yeah it sucks that we get raped on pricing here, but there are reasons for it beyond simple profiteering.

Yeah it sucks that we get raped on pricing here, but there are reasons for it beyond simple profiteering.

Agreed. Distance sucks music gear wise. But, if you want that OS stuff, you gotta pay the price.

TimmyM

I'd pay $2500AUD. $2199USD = $2026AUD at the minute. If they can't manage that I'll use a broker.

dude, seriously? what makes you think you're in any position to negotiate pricing? nobody is trying to rip you off nor forcing you to buy anything.

Its a damn good time with the dollar to be buying regardless

$2199 US + taxes + shipping doesn't leave much profit for a distributor charging $2500 sad to say :(

I wonder why not have a world wide warranty and have the distribution in the states ...kinda cuts out these 'fractalworldwide' middleman ebay sites just using fractal to make money (not sure if the warranty gets transferred either?!?!)

I'm sure europe would be paying alot less then to!!!!

obviously there is reasons and this has already been decided :)

Yeah, it does suck that we always pay more. It used to make me a lot more angry than it does now. I have friends who import and sell and they are really not trying to rip off their customers. Saying that though, I have heard of aussie distributors that are less than fair. I just hope that like a few other people have said, that we dont have to wait a long time. Im selling a heap of gear at the moment to be able to buy full fractal rig for recording and touring and I really would be ticked off if it takes months to get one. It would be great to hear from Cliff about this. Crazy good piece of gear though, im sure it will be worth the money.

There are some distributers who are fair. Unfortunately they're few and far between. Most of them are overpriced, ignorant of their own product lines and just all around a pain in the ass to deal with. Independent seem to be alright. I've spoken to Seamus on a couple occasions and he was always helpful. I already had my Ultra a while before they started distributing for FA so he didn't have any info that I didn't already have, but you could tell he was doing his homework and trying to catch up on the curve. I'm from Texas so I can easily have stuff sent to Sydney, but I still might get it through Independent.

On a related note, I heard that Taylor is about to start doing their own distribution direct to retailers. It's the model they started using in Europe. They're just waiting for their current deal with the Aussie distributer to expire. Should drop the prices a decent amount.

Keep this thread alive aussies, we've gotta let cliff know that we REALLY want some of the initial units allocated to Australia :)

Back
Top Bottom