Axe fx 2 concerns with buying used

codyraptor

Inspired
Curious of your thoughts. If you buy a 'lightly used' axe, would you expect the mounting brackets to be bent and paint chipped off the corners? Paid 1800 for it. I'm not at home to test it, but curious if this would scare you all? It was also supposed to come with a hard case and that didn't happen.

Sounds like it saw some trauma. Wonder how it was packed? Can it be attributed to shipping? Was it insured? I wouldn't be thrilled for sure and would probably be a little spooked about it...

That doesn't sound like "lightly used" to me. I know on my Ultra the paint wore off really easily, but bent mounting brackets indicates some trauma.

On the other hand, they're build really well. If it works, it will likely keep working. If something like a case that was supposed to be included isn't, that's clearly a deal breaker if you want the deal broken.

yeah...this person clearly said they would include the case and it wasn't included. Apparently they were selling for someone else and didn't run that by them before agreeing..so they didn't include it. After looking at the unit..one bracket is bent with paint chipping off and I noticed the paint chipped off in the actual bubble wrap...and the opposite corner has a dent on it..so it was obviously dropped and might have even rolled a bit..definitely happened by USPS because it would've already been packaged up. The seller put ins on it and supposedly already filed a claim...in the meantime I'm trying to get a refund so I can go purchase another one. Just don't feel safe spending that much money on one that was dropped like that..even if it works properly. Has anyone here had issues with this situation before? It was a straight paypal transaction..so I've already requested for a refund through paypal.

yeah...this person clearly said they would include the case and it wasn't included. Apparently they were selling for someone else and didn't run that by them before agreeing..so they didn't include it. After looking at the unit..one bracket is bent with paint chipping off and I noticed the paint chipped off in the actual bubble wrap...and the opposite corner has a dent on it..so it was obviously dropped and might have even rolled a bit..definitely happened by USPS because it would've already been packaged up. The seller put ins on it and supposedly already filed a claim...in the meantime I'm trying to get a refund so I can go purchase another one. Just don't feel safe spending that much money on one that was dropped like that..even if it works properly. Has anyone here had issues with this situation before? It was a straight paypal transaction..so I've already requested for a refund through paypal.
You did the right thing, get your money back and let the SELLER deal with that problem.
That is his problem, not yours.

Do you still have the damaged unit? If the seller was filing a claim at USPS, the damaged unit would need to be in their possession. The reason I'm bringing this up (I'm a Postal retiree) is to make sure the seller isn't blowing smoke at you, regarding what they're doing to "rectify" the situation. If you do indeed still have the unit, I'd be even more concerned about the seller and their intentions. For what it's worth. Hope all works out for you.

Cheers,

Lee

So my Mesa 2:90 is actually the third one I've owned. The first two I bought off of eBay, this EXACT same thing happened. Two idiot sellers packaged a 45 lb amp like crap, one of them just threw it in a box w styrofoam peanuts!!! I filed claims w PayPal and had my money refunded and finally bought my third (which I made damn sure to tell this seller not to pull the same shit as the first two and it arrived safe and sound - thank God!). This type of thing just plains sucks and can be a real pain in the ass, all because some people just have no common sense. Good luck.

It sounds like the seller is a dork. At the very least he/she should've knocked some off the price to compensate for the missing case.

Once you get the refund, save up a few hundred extra dollars and get a new AxeFX 2 from Fractal. It'll have a full warranty and you'll know that it wasn't handled by an 800 lb. gorilla.

would there be any way of bending the brackets back to making them flat? Mine bent from too much movements :(
My AFX2 got a bent mounting bracket after being thrown/dropped by airline baggage handlers (the mounting rail in the rack case had torn loose from the casing :eek: )
I unscrewed the bracket, wrapped it in cloth and carefully bent it back to shape in a vice, good as new now.

USPS info

Do you still have the damaged unit? If the seller was filing a claim at USPS, the damaged unit would need to be in their possession. The reason I'm bringing this up (I'm a Postal retiree) is to make sure the seller isn't blowing smoke at you, regarding what they're doing to "rectify" the situation. If you do indeed still have the unit, I'd be even more concerned about the seller and their intentions. For what it's worth. Hope all works out for you.

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks for the feedback....I actually called USPS and they told me to keep the unit until I hear from them? They said the claim would be researched and they would contact me to bring the unit in it's original packaging back to my local USPS for inspection. I'm guessing they don't want to chance shipping the unit back and it not being in the same shape as it was delivered originally. I'm definitely pushing the seller for a refund today as I got zero response yesterday through paypal and text. Unfortunately this person is an active member of this forum and had the unit posted on this site.

Its possible the protocols have changed since I retired. The station I used to work at always seemed to have a stack of items sitting and waiting for resolution regarding insurance claims. I seem to recall the T-6 (technical employee who handled these claims) would on rare occasion have trouble finding the article that had been turned over to us, to complete the claim, so it seems they've wised up and have the customer retain the article in question until the paperwork reaches a certain stage.

Obviously hope all works out for everyone.

I sold my Ultra to a guy in Spain (a forum member).
I shipped it to a "relative" of his in Chicago, who was hand-carrying it on their returning to Spain about 3 weeks later..
I painstakingly double bubble-wrapped everything, then double-boxed it, etc. Then I took pix and sent them to him prior to shipment.
When he received it, both rack ears were bent and had paint chipped off. He sent me pics showing me. Unit worked fine.
He agreed that the damage was caused in transit as his relative had indicated "safe" arrival of the Ultra in the US.

Point being that even well-packed and well-prepped shipping items can be damaged in transit, at no fault of the shipper.

The item wasn't packaged as you described..it had 1 layer of thin bubble wrap and a handful of peanuts in the original box...the item wasn't packaged to protect it. The damage isn't only the rack ear..it must have hit and flipped because it was hit on the back of the unit as well..the opposite corner has a ding in it where it looks like the unit might have rolled after it hit. The shipper only insured the item for $100..so I know USPS isn't going to get this resolved and it's not my issue as the buyer..I paid $1800 for a unit that wasn't banged up..if the shipper decided to halfway wrap the thing and ship it with only $100 insured..then that's their problem. I feel I'm not in the wrong to expect a refund and let the seller hash it out with USPS. Unfortunately..I can't get the seller to answer me now. I'm guessing paypal will have to resolve this one. The unit will power on..but I'm scared of saying I'll take it regardless because if it starts acting up later due to something being jolted..then I'm screwed.
I sold my Ultra to a guy in Spain (a forum member).
I shipped it to a "relative" of his in Chicago, who was hand-carrying it on their returning to Spain about 3 weeks later..
I painstakingly double bubble-wrapped everything, then double-boxed it, etc. Then I took pix and sent them to him prior to shipment.
When he received it, both rack ears were bent and had paint chipped off. He sent me pics showing me. Unit worked fine.
He agreed that the damage was caused in transit as his relative had indicated "safe" arrival of the Ultra in the US.

Point being that even well-packed and well-prepped shipping items can be damaged in transit, at no fault of the shipper.

I would out the seller here if he has stopped communicating. Not cool at all and we don't need others getting burned as well.

The item wasn't packaged as you described..it had 1 layer of thin bubble wrap and a handful of peanuts in the original box...the item wasn't packaged to protect it. The damage isn't only the rack ear..it must have hit and flipped because it was hit on the back of the unit as well..the opposite corner has a ding in it where it looks like the unit might have rolled after it hit. The shipper only insured the item for $100..so I know USPS isn't going to get this resolved and it's not my issue as the buyer..I paid $1800 for a unit that wasn't banged up..if the shipper decided to halfway wrap the thing and ship it with only $100 insured..then that's their problem. I feel I'm not in the wrong to expect a refund and let the seller hash it out with USPS. Unfortunately..I can't get the seller to answer me now. I'm guessing paypal will have to resolve this one. The unit will power on..but I'm scared of saying I'll take it regardless because if it starts acting up later due to something being jolted..then I'm screwed.
I agree.. not defending the seller.. I was simply relating that even with the best of intentions..sh*t happens... Hope you get ur $$ back and it all squared away.

If it makes you feel any better, you may end up having no problem with the unit down the road. At least it powers up. Perhaps you could contact Fractal for replacement mounting brackets?

Don't paypal refund the buyer directly?

I agree it must have happened in transit, same thing happened to a rack synth I bought a few years back but it worked OK so I just bent the ear back in a vice and didn't worry about it. It's not the end of the world, just keep using it until you get a refund, then save up some more and get a new one if you can.

That's my hope if I get stuck with it...The mounting bracket isn't a major concern to me..but the fact that it hit the back of the unit hard enough to put a nice ding in it sort of scares me. It is what it is though..hopefully they're built to withstand a hit like that and can keep ticking. If I get stuck with it..worst scenario is I'll have to send it to fractal for a repair...eessh. I honestly wouldn't know what to look for as far as a "mess up" in sound or usage since this is my first unit.
If it makes you feel any better, you may end up having no problem with the unit down the road. At least it powers up. Perhaps you could contact Fractal for replacement mounting brackets?

Back
Top Bottom